The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Inscrutable Options
D00M
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:27:03 PM

Neurons: 3,951
Hello respected teachers,

What type of smile is an inscrutable smile? Would you please give me a synonym for it in the following context?

"When she sat down for dinner at the round table covered with a three-days-old cloth, opposite her husband, who took the cover off the soup tureen, exclauming delightedly:'Aha! Scotch broth! What could be better?" she imagined delicate meals, gleaming silver, tapestries peopling the wallts with folk of a past age and strange birds in faery forests; she imagined delicate food served in marvellous dishes, murmured gallantries, listened to with an inscrutable smile as one trifled with the rosy flesh of trout or wings of asparagus chicken."

I am looking forward to your answers.
georgieporgie
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:36:22 PM

Neurons: 530
Indecipherable? Enigmatic? Mysterious? Unreadable? Impenetrable? Opaque? Cryptic?
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:41:37 PM

Neurons: 44,413
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

What type of smile is an inscrutable smile? Would you please give me a synonym for it in the following context?

"When she sat down for dinner at the round table covered with a three-days-old cloth, opposite her husband, who took the cover off the soup tureen, exclauming delightedly:'Aha! Scotch broth! What could be better?" she imagined delicate meals, gleaming silver, tapestries peopling the wallts with folk of a past age and strange birds in faery forests; she imagined delicate food served in marvellous dishes, murmured gallantries, listened to with an inscrutable smile as one trifled with the rosy flesh of trout or wings of asparagus chicken."

An inscrutable smile is one that doesn't really communicate to you what the person is smiling about, or why they may be smiling at all.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Romany
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:53:36 PM

Neurons: 40,706

Doom -

Of the list Georgyp. supplied, the only other word which would fit in this context and style of writing would be "enigmatic".

"Inscrutable" means you can't read the person's expression at all: they aren't giving any clues at all.

"Enigmatic" is not expressionless - the smile could mean many things, you just don't know which way to interpret it.
Ravindra
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 12:34:04 AM

Neurons: 42,690
Romany, how you, and of course a few others here, could detail beyond a question is inscrutable to me! Hats off to you all.
May Jesus bless you all.

Don't get me wrong, I admire elegance and have an appreciation of the finer things in life. But to me, beauty lies in simplicity.
Mark Hyman

Ravindra