The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

questions Options
Maggie Q
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 5:36:58 AM

Neurons: 1,718
Then he saw something that made his rapid breathing stop in midgasp. He straightened up, looking back at the site of the accident. The road was littered with debris—it really was a wonder that he hadn’t been struck and at least wounded. A twisted wing lay on the right; the other wing was poking out of the uncut timothy grass on the left, not far from where the runaway propeller had come to rest. In addition to the bluejeans-clad leg, he could see a severed hand and arm. The hand seemed to be pointing at a head, as if to say That’s mine. A woman’s head, judging from the hair.

Question 1: a severed hand and arm == a severed ( hand and arm ) OR a severed hand and a severed arm?

Question 2 / 1: A woman’s head, judging from the hair. --- can I also say 'A woman’s head, JUDGED from the hair.'? If not, what's the difference between them?

Question 2 / 2: In this case, can I replace 'from' with 'by' ( judging by... or judged by... )? If not, why?
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 11:54:37 AM

Neurons: 44,413
Maggie Q wrote:
Then he saw something that made his rapid breathing stop in midgasp. He straightened up, looking back at the site of the accident. The road was littered with debris—it really was a wonder that he hadn’t been struck and at least wounded. A twisted wing lay on the right; the other wing was poking out of the uncut timothy grass on the left, not far from where the runaway propeller had come to rest. In addition to the bluejeans-clad leg, he could see a severed hand and arm. The hand seemed to be pointing at a head, as if to say That’s mine. A woman’s head, judging from the hair.

Question 1: a severed hand and arm == a severed ( hand and arm ) OR a severed hand and a severed arm?
It isn't completely clear, but I would assume an arm with an attached hand, otherwise I would expect the writer to say they were separate.

Question 2 / 1: A woman’s head, judging from the hair. --- can I also say 'A woman’s head, JUDGED from the hair.'? If not, what's the difference between them?
No, you would have to say, "judging from the hair".

Question 2 / 2: In this case, can I replace 'from' with 'by' ( judging by... or judged by... )? If not, why?

Yes, "judging by" works fine. We often use "by" and "from" interchangeably, and always with "judging".

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~