The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

...and it also holds true in our Buddhist practice. Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 1:00:10 PM

Neurons: 11,286
Ever since we were born into this world, we have encountered many people. We have received a great deal of influences from them, both good and bad. Such influences have affected both our personalities and our lifestyles.

This is true in society, and it also holds true in our Buddhist practice. There are people who have been a good influence on those around them, and there are others who have a negative effect on the people around them.

The bold part sounds good to me, but is it OK?

Thanks.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 4:10:33 PM

Neurons: 44,413
Koh Elaine wrote:
Ever since we were born into this world, we have encountered many people. We have received a great deal of influences from them, both good and bad. Such influences have affected both our personalities and our lifestyles.

This is true in society, and it also holds true in our Buddhist practice. There are people who have been a good influence on those around them, and there are others who have a negative effect on the people around them.

The bold part sounds good to me, but is it OK?

Thanks.

Yes, and no. I understand what you mean, but strictly speaking, it doesn't say the what you intend. What I think you intend is to say that your fellow Buddhists also can have a positive or negative influence on you just as other people do.

Most people would understand this is what you mean, so to make that perfectly clear, you might include those words: ..."and it also holds true concerning our fellow Buddhists."

This puts the emphasis on your fellow Buddhists rather than the practice of Buddhism. I'm being very pedantic about the wording.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 7:37:26 PM

Neurons: 11,286
Thanks, FounDit.
NKM
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 10:55:23 PM

Neurons: 192,114
Unlike FounDit, I think you said exactly what you meant to say: that what holds true for society also holds true in your Buddhist practice. People, Buddhist or not, can affect what you (as a Buddhist) feel, do and believe.