The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The People's Temple Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,708
The People's Temple

The People's Temple was a cult founded in 1955 by preacher Jim Jones. Though his congregation was known for helping the poor, Jones became the subject of criminal investigations and led 1,000 followers to Guyana in 1977, establishing the Jonestown commune there. In 1978, cult members killed US Representative Leo Ryan during an investigatory visit. The next day, 912 of Jones's followers died in a mass murder-suicide that involved cyanide-laced punch. Did anyone survive? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 4:22:25 AM

Neurons: 2,016,850
Article of the Day
The People's Temple
The People's Temple was a cult founded in 1955 by preacher Jim Jones. Though his congregation was known for helping the poor, Jones became the subject of criminal investigations and led 1,000 followers to Guyana in 1977, establishing the Jonestown commune there. In 1978, cult members killed US Representative Leo Ryan during an investigatory visit. The next day, 912 of Jones's followers died in a mass murder-suicide that involved cyanide-laced punch.
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 7:47:54 AM

Neurons: 908,292
Horrible massacre. It was horrible to listen to the coverage of the tragedy.
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 2:03:29 PM

Neurons: 82,431
religious organization

with my pleasure
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 3:30:39 PM

Neurons: 3,774,632

But how has life after Jonestown been for the small group of members who survived but lost family members, friends and the entire foundation of their lives on that tragic day? What do they think about what happened and about Peoples Temple today?

Angry at God because he let her live

For most people Peoples Temple is the horror story about a “cult” that went off the rails. About a religious leader who abused the faith of believing people and about religious insanity. For the few people who survived it is so much more; it is their story, the grief for dead family members and decades of trying to understand and coming to terms with what happened.

“Because I didn’t trust anyone, I wasn’t capable of seeking out the help I needed when I came back to the USA. I knew I was in a bad way but I wasn’t able to put a label on my problems. I spent most of my time drinking and for a short while I did drugs as well. I just wanted the pain to end. For many years I had so much anger in me, but I didn’t know why. The only thing I knew was that I was angry at God every day when I woke up because he had let me live,” says Leslie Wagner-Wilson.

She was in a group of 11 people who managed to escape from Jonestown in the morning of 18 November, just hours before the tragedy took place. In total 87 members of Peoples Temple who were in Guyana survived, the majority because they were away from the settlement on the day.

Jordan Vilchez, who was in the church’s headquarters in Guyana’s capital Georgetown when everything went wrong in Jonestown, has also struggled with being a survivor of the most notorious collective suicide of all time.

“I, and many others who survived, have had feelings of guilt and shame. Because I grew up in Peoples Temple I had to build my own personality from the ground up and find out who I was outside of the mould I was cast in previously. To be connected with Peoples Temple and that horrible last day, has caused a complicated mixture of emotions,” says Vilchez.

Today she feels that she has made peace with the past. But it has been a long process.

Read more :http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/?page_id=61692