The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Fear mongering Options
will
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2017 6:44:19 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,062
Neurons: 4,272
In a rational world the minority views and beliefs of Islamic fundamentalists would never rise beyond the limited range of a handful of politically insignificant groups and the mentally vulnerable individuals they exploit.

Likewise with the loose collective of troubled individuals that make up Britain First and other nationalist far-right groups.

The thing that all extremists share is an arrogant, unquestioning certitude in their beliefs and a twisted logic where the end results always justifies the means. Britain First don’t care in the slightest that videos they post are out of context, or just plain lies; for them it is totally irrelevant that the ‘Muslim migrant’ that they claim ‘beats up Dutch boy on crutches’ was actually neither Muslim nor a migrant... and apparently the White House don't care either.

Extremists thrive on the disposable, intellectually superficial and unaccountable nature of social media. The bigoted egotist Jayda Fransen no doubt feels vindicated by her Facebook 'Likes' (even if the majority are from overseas observers), but the fact remains, when she stood for Parliament she polled 56 votes, around 0.1%. Social media gives extremists the illusion of credibility that is simply not justified. Extremists don’t function in the reality that we do, they use sensationalism to create myths as a form of self-affirmation that serves only their own prejudices and vested interests.

Extremists don’t deserve the oxygen of publicity. The question is how the rational world deals with this kind of hate filled fear mongering when it come direct from the White House. Think


.
Romany
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2017 7:21:41 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 13,338
Neurons: 40,632
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

One of the (many) problems with Trump trying to play in the sandbox with the other kids, is that he has no concept of how the world works, let alone how other countries do.

While its dead easy to sow the panic, fear and hysteria that now grips America the man hasn't the nous to understand that what works in America works because of America's unique society. What works in France, Iran, Russia or, indeed the UK, works because of THEIR unique societies and history.

Trying to whip up the same sentiment towards Islam that he's spread through his own country, is never going to be easy in countries which have not only recovered and rebuilt after total devastation in world wars and invasions, but have lived with "terrorism" for centuries in many different forms.

While most world leaders have tacitly agreed to consider the USA a non-player on the world stage; while China is poised to dominate, Germany can gain more ascendancy, and other countries negotiate to fill in the gaps left behind by the lack of American participation...DT's megalomaniacal attempts to spread his evil influence to other developed countries stand out transparently.

As many sources on this side have reported: Trump has united Britain in a way recent politics and Brexit etc. had no chance of doing. Ironic: Trump likes to invent boogie-men and chimera to frighten people into submission and acceptance. What has happened is that he has made himself into the boogie-man now; and instead of just having to negotiate with one or two politicians, he has the entire country (Except for some equally insane fringe party of lunatics) united in ridicule and determination, against him.

He's revealed the full, abysmal and unplumbed depths of his ignorance and self-involvement. Not a single person capable of rational thought will ever give him the benefit of the doubt again. He's done.
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 11:58:46 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,536
Neurons: 208,036
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
Romany, I agree with your assessment that the current occupant of the White House has lost whatever remained of his legitimacy in the global arena. I hope that the world leaders can successfully distance themselves and their countries from the US because that is the only way any country will come out of this relatively unscathed. The current occupant and his followers have assured the rest of the country that they will succeed in bringing the United States to its knees and will not stop until the weaponized minority are marching against anyone who disagrees with them.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 8:53:07 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 7,267
Neurons: 41,989
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
"I am delivering on my Jerusalem promise", quoth he.

I thought the promise was to withdraw the US from world policies and to be protectionist. How does this help the US except with Israel? Could he possibly be right?

Am I naive or is it at all feasible that the rest of the world just ignore what the US did about Jerusalem and go on as usual? What difference does it make if the US moves its embassy to Jerusalem? I see violence in the news already.

He is not going away so the rest of the world has to learn to ignore this s""t disturber, methinks. And with Bannon behind it all, Progpen may have a point that the idelogy is to destroy the US and its standing in the world. Heaven help us if the KGB agent and his evil ways gets more powerful with the US out of the running.

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
Romany
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 1:37:44 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 13,338
Neurons: 40,632
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Hope -

There is absolutely no way that the rest of the world is going to ignore it. This has every chance of developing into the WW3 scenario people have been trying to dodge for decades.

It would appear that you guys aren't getting World News right now. THIS - not North Korea - is what has supermarkets running out of packets of "Depends".

Hopefully you know me well enough to know I'm not having a dig when I say this: - Rather than anyone passing on their opinions - go and find out for yourself the answer to your question:-

"Am I naive or is it at all feasible that the rest of the world just ignore what the US did about Jerusalem and go on as usual? What difference does it make if the US moves its embassy to Jerusalem?"

I know how you love to do research and there's a long, convoluted history involved in the answer, you'll find. The whole peace process in the entire Middle East, rests lightly on a bunch of crinkled paper and slender twigs. Trump has just doused the whole thing in kerosene. Now all it needs is a spark. And that could come from anywhere at all right at the moment.

It surely has been reported, though, that world leaders from everywhere are determined this isn't going to happen? Protests have been pouring in from France, China, UK, Germany, Russia, Australia, ...well, every country which is not currently an oppressive dictatorship. And, of course, those who protest that they aren't in any way running an oppressive dictatorship!

For us, this isn't just on our TV: people are living in unbearable terror of what reactions this ignorant and uncouth old man has now put in train!
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 3:26:15 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 8,305
Neurons: 44,412
Fear mongering:

Yes, there are now five posts that demonstrate exactly what fear mongering looks like. Notice each post preys on fear, anxiety, and hopelessness. It is the zeitgeist of the political Left. Expect more now.


A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 3:47:41 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 7,267
Neurons: 41,989
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Romany,

Even Russia, Turkey, (Al Quaeda as well as Hamas) disagree with the TV Reality leader's unnecessary interference. I know it is sacred ground and the situation has been very tricky, for years, but what if everybody just accepted it as normal grandiose rhetoric as usual from this man and in a couple of days it would blow over. He's just trying to show his base he has accomplished something. What is this recognition of his going to change? Fill me in.

You guys are right there while in North America we are one step removed. Except that now that is not the only thing going on - NK says war is only a matter of time and he can reach the US. Russia tells the US that NK wants to talk to the US about the escalating show of presence there and the US says not till they denuclearize which is not going to happen.

"Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke by phone and expressed serious concern about Washington's decision to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital, the Kremlin has said.

Both leaders agreed that further escalation of tensions in the Middle East cannot be allowed, and that the focus should be on finding compromises, including on Jerusalem's status, the Kremlin added in a statement."


I see TV Reality Actor was slurring his words - he doesn't drink so I am truly concerned for his health - maybe he had a stroke and that is affecting his judgment.



A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
will
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 5:21:50 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,062
Neurons: 4,272
FounDit wrote:
Fear mongering:

Yes, there are now five posts that demonstrate exactly what fear mongering looks like. Notice each post preys on fear, anxiety, and hopelessness. It is the zeitgeist of the political Left. Expect more now.

My original point was that Trump re-tweeted a video with a distinct narrative; a narrative that implies this is the kind of depravity you can expect if you let Muslims migrants into your country. Intellectually vulnerable individuals do take this kind of thing at face value, a fear and hatred of ‘them’ grows and manifests itself in acts of aggression – the kind of divisive aggression employed by Britain First, the far-right group that Trump was publicising. Muslims in turn grow to fear ‘them’ (‘us’) and the cycle escalates.

How does this, Trump's posting of a group that portrays others as sub-human savages, equate to ‘the zeitgeist of the political Left’? Eh?

If the ‘political Left’ are collectively saying anything, it’s that the fear of ‘them’ is exaggerated and unjustified. It’s the 'left' who are pointing out that the boy who beat up another boy on crutches was in fact neither Muslim or a migrant.

The White House – and Trump supporters – claim the facts don’t matter, the important thing is the narrative: Muslims migrant are the type of people that would beat up a disabled person.

Instead of deflecting – ad hominem against the ‘Left'... fake news and all that BS – how about you grow a pair and put forward your defence of why the facts don’t matter?


.
philips daughter
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 6:38:56 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/21/2017
Posts: 111
Neurons: 19,954
Will, Applause Applause
Hope123
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 10:27:10 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 7,267
Neurons: 41,989
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Well said, Will. It is the old trick that Trump uses daily. When you have no defence, there's always offence. Attack, even if it is not true, misses the point, or is not facing up to reality - in this case world reality. Blaming the left (or right) for all ills is on a hate continuum, even if the words are polite.

November has been a month of humanizing and normalizing Nazis, pedophiles, serial killers, and bigots.

It goes even to the level of voting to put an alleged pedophile with several complaints into the senate and putting there and allowing a man with 16 complainst against him to sit in a revered chair while tweeting such garbage as in Will's OP.

The horrifying thing is, this is the backlash for having a black president, a woman daring to run, and the rights of the marginalized in general being put into laws. (Fear-mongering about bathrooms and abortion and anybody different in any way from them has run amok.)

THIS approval of such degenerates is the opposite of the Left's desire for a kinder, gentler society, and T Supporters in general with their bans and walls are proud of it.


A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 12:24:16 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 8,305
Neurons: 44,412
Will,

My post was an observation of the fact that your chosen topic, Fear mongering, was precisely evidenced by all of the posts that followed. I merely pointed out that you all were engaging in exactly the same offense. Sorry if that went over your head.

When I wrote, “Expect more now”, I fully expected to see more fear mongering in response, and the posts following mine did not fail to produce. This line from Hope123, is a prime example:

November has been a month of humanizing and normalizing Nazis, pedophiles, serial killers, and bigots.

There is the zeitgeist I was referencing.


A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
will
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 5:34:38 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,062
Neurons: 4,272
FounDit wrote:
My post was an observation of the fact that your chosen topic, Fear mongering, was precisely evidenced by all of the posts that followed. I merely pointed out that you all were engaging in exactly the same offense. Sorry if that went over your head.

If your point was simply one of moral equivalence, I’m afraid I’m not moved. There is no comparison between the President of a leading world power spreading a demonstrable lie, designed to portray an entire culture as sub-human, and a handful of people discussing politics in a quiet corner of the internet… using this comparison as evidence of a political Left zeitgeist is just plain puerile.

Trump’s tweet, as stated in the OP, was a lie that spread fear, hate and division. Instead of deflecting with ad hominem directed at the ‘political Left’ (whomever that might be) how about you give one example of such a demonstrable lie, designed to spread fear, by any contributor to this thread.

You are clearly reluctant to condemn Trump for re-tweeting a lie from a fringe far-right group, a lie designed with the sole purpose of portraying Muslims as sub-human savages, yet you freely point the finger in any other direction – without any substance whatsoever. Your contribution, as ever, pretty much boils down to the playground favourite of ‘it takes one to know one’.

FounDit wrote:
When I wrote, “Expect more now”, I fully expected to see more fear mongering in response, and the posts following mine did not fail to produce. This line from Hope123, is a prime example:

“November has been a month of humanizing and normalizing Nazis, pedophiles, serial killers, and bigots.”

Well, so what, eh? To paraphrase White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders: We all know that ‘these are real threats that we have to talk about’. So what if, in fact, not all Trump supporters are Nazis, paedophiles, serial killers and bigots as labelled? Whether it’s real or not, the threat / fear narrative is all that matters. If that’s good enough for the so called Leader of the Free World and Al-Qaeda, it’s surely okay for everyone else, right?

Note. I’m aware that wasn’t actually what Hope123 was saying. Trump’s publicising, humanizing and normalizing of Jayda Fransen and other white supremacists within Britain First was well made… although overlooked by FounDit.



.
Listening . . .
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 9:28:03 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2011
Posts: 943
Neurons: 3,845
Why the focus on one tweet from POTUS? Don’t the offenders speak loudly enough for themselves to validate fear? Innocent people are being murdered in the name of Islam. https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/world/2017/11/01/timeline-recent-terror-attacks-against-west.amp.html
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 11:20:26 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 7,267
Neurons: 41,989
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Thinking my sentence is fear-mongering rather than reporting reality shows either denial or lack of following the news.

Nazis - Charlottesville tiki holders were normalized by Trump himself. He refused for months during the campaign to deny legitimacy of the KKK and such white extremisits. The following charts indict Trump's campaign rhetoric with the timing of the increases in hate crimes in all categories. There are statistics from other countries showing the same time related increases. I noted the charts specific to anti immigrants and anti women.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/12/16/update-1094-bias-related-incidents-month-following-election

"Since the election of President Donald Trump, news outlets and social media accounts have swelled with reports of swastikas at schools, racist taunts, and other hate-fueled attacks and acts of intimidation. The Southern Poverty Law Center, which has aggregated media reports and gathered submissions from its website, catalogued 1064 such incidents, 13 of which were later debunked as false reports, in the first month after Trump won the presidency. (Twenty-six of those incidents were perpetrated against Trump supporters.) The SPLC has presented that data in aggregate, creating an invaluable record of the scope of post-election hate crimes."

https://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/12/hate_in_america_a_list_of_racism_bigotry_and_abuse_since_the_election.html


Pedophiles - The Republican Party has normalized pedophilia by putting its money to back a candidate for the Senate of the United States, Roy Moore, an alleged pedophile with 8 complaints against him. He was even banned from a mall because of his proclivities of targeting young girls. He would be in position of power to sway his ideas into policy. He is backed by so-called Christians who have abandoned Christian beliefs all for the sake of one vote.

Bigots - Your leader is a bigot. He used fear-mongering about Muslims being terrorists and Mexicans taking jobs to get elected. (when Americans refuse to do the menial labour they do for below minimum wage). His prejudices go back right to his days of who to allow to rent in his buildings and this retweeting of such garbage is another example that points this out. Twitter's rules would have been enforced long ago against anybody else who tweets what he has done on many occasions. But his supporters refuse to see it. See above re hate crimes proliferating.

Serial Killers - Should perhaps have read mass shooters - The latest mass killing in New Mexico was not even mentioned in the news until that fact was brought to their attention. The body count was not high enough for the media to sensationalize it as these shootings are happening nearly every day. See above re hate crimes proliferating.

Furthermore -

The policies of the United States meddling in foreign countries such as toppling Hussein without waiting for the UN intelligence about WMD is what has fueled the fires of extremism that were already there and contributed to the recruiting of such groups as ISIS and Al Qaeda.

The citizens of the US were warned that Trump's policies were going to help those groups with their recruiting. This recognition of Jerusalem is already doing that and creating unnecessary violence around the world. So don't be surprised if the list Listening provided gets longer soon. And if this is fear-mongering, perhaps your leaders should take notice, the same as the leaders of other countries have done.

BTW - How many terrorist attacks in the US since 9/11 came from foreign Muslims?





A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
almo 1
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 11:58:38 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 1,018
Neurons: 4,593
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan



Just for purpose of reference:



/wiki/Southern_Poverty_Law_Center#Controversies_over_listings



quote:
The SPLC's identification and listings of hate groups and extremists has been the subject of controversy. Critics of the SPLC say that it chooses its causes with funding and donations in mind,[95] and argue that people and groups designated as 'hate groups' are often targeted by protests that prevent them from speaking. The SPLC sometimes responds by reviewing its actions and removing people or organizations from hate listings, such as that of Ben Carson; however, it has stood behind the vast majority of its listings.[15][97][98]

Analyst of political fringe movements Laird Wilcox has said the SPLC had taken an incautious approach to assigning the labels "hate group" and "extremist".[99] Mark Potok of Southern Poverty Law Center said Wilcox "had an ax to grind for a great many years" and engaged in name calling against others doing anti-racist work.[100]
...

In October 2016, the SPLC published a list of "anti-Muslim extremists", including British activist Maajid Nawaz and ex-Muslim activist Ayaan Hirsi Ali. The SPLC said that Nawaz appeared to be "more interested in self-promotion and money than in any particular ideological dispute", identified what it said were gaps and inconsistencies in his backstory, rebuking his assertion that British universities had been infiltrated by radical Islamists.[110] Nawaz, who identifies as a "liberal, reform Muslim", denounced the listing as a "smear", saying that the SPLC listing had made him a target of jihadists.[111][112] Mark Potok of the SPLC responded, "Our point is not to make these people targets for violence... The point is to tamp down the really baseless targeting."[113] The Lantos Foundation for Human Rights & Justice subsequently addressed a public letter to the SPLC (November 8, 2016) requesting a retraction of the listings.[114]

In August 2017, a defamation lawsuit was filed against the SPLC by the D. James Kennedy Ministries for describing it as an "active hate group” because of their views on LGBT rights.[115][116][117] The SPLC lists D. James Kennedy Ministries and its predecessor, Truth in Action, as anti-LGBT hate groups because of what the SPLC describes as the group's history of spreading homophobic propaganda, including D. James Kennedy's statement that "homosexuals prey on adolescent boys", and false claims about the transmission of AIDS.[118]
unquote


Hope123
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 12:11:05 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 7,267
Neurons: 41,989
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
If one does not like the source provided, there are many others with similar statistics, some with even more damaging info citing non reporting.

The FBI says hate crime rose by 4.6% in 2016 but that figure is not accurate because hate crime is underreported. 90 cities with populations over 100,000 posted 0% or didn't report at all so that skews the numbers.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/13/563737883/hate-crimes-up-in-2016-fbi-statistics-show

Nearly 59 percent of the victims were targeted because of their race. A further 21.1 percent were targeted because of religion, and 16.7 percent because of sexual-orientation.

Of the race-related incidents, more than half were anti-black, while some 20 percent were anti-white. More than half of the religious-related crimes, the statistics show, were anti-Jewish, while a quarter were anti-Muslim.

In cases where law enforcement was able to identify the perpetrator, 46.3 percent were white and 26.1 percent were black.


Edited to add 2017 -

https://www.voanews.com/a/hate-crimes-rising-in-us/4034719.html

If the services are there, the crimes are more apt to be reported.

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 12:26:51 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 8,305
Neurons: 44,412
Listening . . . wrote:
Why the focus on one tweet from POTUS? Don’t the offenders speak loudly enough for themselves to validate fear? Innocent people are being murdered in the name of Islam. https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/world/2017/11/01/timeline-recent-terror-attacks-against-west.amp.html


Well, they can't really brag about the great things happening on their side of the political aisle, can they? The only thing left is fear mongering. But apparently many of them have never looked up the definition of the term, because they don't recognize it even when they engage in it.


A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
will
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 1:39:47 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,062
Neurons: 4,272
I wrote:
Instead of deflecting – ad hominem against the ‘Left'... fake news and all that BS – how about you grow a pair and put forward your defence of why the facts don’t matter?


I wrote:
Instead of deflecting with ad hominem directed at the ‘political Left’ (whomever that might be) how about you give one example of such a demonstrable lie, designed to spread fear, by any contributor to this thread


Predictably FounDit wrote:
Well, they can't really brag... blah, blah... political aisle... blah, blah... But apparently many of them have never looked up the definition of the term... blah, blah blah


As I said before: your contribution, as ever, pretty much boils down to the playground favourite of ‘it takes one to know one’.


.
will
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 1:41:54 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,062
Neurons: 4,272
Listening… wrote:
Why the focus on one tweet from POTUS? Don’t the offenders speak loudly enough for themselves to validate fear? Innocent people are being murdered in the name of Islam.

Hi Listening. Good to see you again… or maybe not, if you really can’t see the wrong in the President of a leading world power tweeting a lie and legitimatising a group that physically and verbally abuse innocent individuals on the basis of their colour and culture. Eh?

As you know, I have little tolerance for any irrational act perpetrated by anyone in the name of any Faith, but I’m not so naive as to believe that Britain First are representative of Christianity any more than Muslims are the type of people who are naturally inclined to beat up a disabled person.

A lie is a lie; the ends do not justify the means.

People are being murdered in the name of many things; in recent years Islamic fundamentalists have had particularly success in distorting the facts to encourage mentally unstable individuals to commit acts of terror, but surely you can see that acts committed by individuals, or even groups of individuals, in the name of particular ideologies do not validate the use of lies and further distortions of facts in an attempt to attach such abhorrent ideologies to entire cultures.

Add in to that (from some Muslim points of view) western political interference, military occupation, and inflammatory tweets and the narrative our ‘enemies’ create for our evil western culture is so much easier to believe. The ‘us’ and ‘them’ clash of civilisation is a myth that is encouraged by both sides for political gain.

The bottom line is this: Do you think Trump’s anti-Muslim tweets are more or less likely to inflame the situation and lead to further extremist acts?


.
will
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 1:43:24 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,062
Neurons: 4,272
One last thing, on my last point... Perhaps the difference here is that Trump supporters believe his ‘I’m just an average guy like you’ image is a good thing; they like a guy that shoots from the hip and speaks his mind. While the rest of us understand that a world leader needs political acumen, diplomacy and respect for the power they wield.

We don’t accept average people 'just like you and me', making snap judgements on gut instinct, when it comes to pilots, surgeons and architects. The type of person who would start a bar brawl because someone said he has small hands, is not the type of person you want to give nuclear codes to. Think


.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 5:18:35 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 7,267
Neurons: 41,989
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Good points, Will.

Definition - Fear mongering is spreading fear by using incorrect information to predict a disaster.

Example 1 - Fear-mongering by Trump - classifying all Muslims as terrorists predicting some sort of disaster if more are allowed into the US and using false information as listed in the Original Post to do so.

Ex 2 - Fear-mongering on the forum from supporters who bought it. The ban was for 90 days. It was never implemented till I guess it can be now. How many foreign Muslims attacked the US in that time period which was over long, long ago? Zero. Nada. Zilch. There was no need for a 90 day ban.

Ex. 3 - Fear-mongering by the right about bathrooms and transgenders.

Ex. 4 Fear-mongering by Bush and the right - invading Iraq because of fear of non-existent WMDs.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/donald-trump-and-the-politics-of-fear/498116/ This article is before the election but still holds true.


Facing Reality - Nazis, Bigots, Mass Shooters, and Pedophiles ARE being normalized as evidenced by the increase in hate crimes. This is fact. They were always there, but are coming out of the woodwork now. No disaster was predicted. (I finished with causes for the backlash and of the Left's desire for a kinder, gentler society etc.) Vigilance to protect democracy so HISTORY does not repeat itself with someone like Bannon is what is suggested. My only error was saying it all happened in November.

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 5:25:37 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 7,267
Neurons: 41,989
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Advanced Warning - Related post - still about fear-mongering but about a different topic from earlier threads. And a disturbing video.



Related topic - I recall in earlier threads having the same accusation of fear-mongering thrown against the left when discussing the environment and in threads about the endangered bees and animals such as the polar bears.

The ozone hole was real, and "fear-mongering" by the left is what led to action that addressed that problem. The effects of DDT on the environment were real, and "fear-mongering" is what led to action that addressed that problem. Lots of other examples could be adduced, from pollution of rivers and lakes, to acid rain, to endangered species. Science has a way of turning out to be right in the end, to the outrage of ideologues everywhere. (I paraphrased this from a discussion.)

Disclaimer - Don't look at this video unless you have a strong stomach.

https://petapixel.com/2017/12/09/starving-polar-bear-broke-photographers-heart/


A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
progpen
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 10:27:27 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,536
Neurons: 208,036
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
Conservative, white, middle-class, American males have no natural predators in the US so that means they must make them up. The apex predator in the US doesn't like being seen as a well armed, malicious bully so they have to create boogeymen and pretend to be afraid of them in order to legitimize their hatred of and anger at others.

Either that or the most heavily armed minority group in the world is simply afraid of their own shadows and see threats from candlelight vigils and peace marches as well as from defenseless immigrants who have been traumatized by violence in their homeland.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
progpen
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 7:43:00 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,536
Neurons: 208,036
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
Hope123 wrote:
Good points, Will.

Definition - Fear mongering is spreading fear by using incorrect information to predict a disaster.

Example 1 - Fear-mongering by Trump - classifying all Muslims as terrorists predicting some sort of disaster if more are allowed into the US and using false information as listed in the Original Post to do so.

Ex 2 - Fear-mongering on the forum from supporters who bought it. The ban was for 90 days. It was never implemented till I guess it can be now. How many foreign Muslims attacked the US in that time period which was over long, long ago? Zero. Nada. Zilch. There was no need for a 90 day ban.

Ex. 3 - Fear-mongering by the right about bathrooms and transgenders.

Ex. 4 Fear-mongering by Bush and the right - invading Iraq because of fear of non-existent WMDs.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/donald-trump-and-the-politics-of-fear/498116/ This article is before the election but still holds true.


Facing Reality - Nazis, Bigots, Mass Shooters, and Pedophiles ARE being normalized as evidenced by the increase in hate crimes. This is fact. They were always there, but are coming out of the woodwork now. No disaster was predicted. (I finished with causes for the backlash and of the Left's desire for a kinder, gentler society etc.) Vigilance to protect democracy so HISTORY does not repeat itself with someone like Bannon is what is suggested. My only error was saying it all happened in November.


Exactly. It's quite simply the difference between boogeymen fantasy and observations of daily reality.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
will
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 9:28:54 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,062
Neurons: 4,272
Just to be clear: I used ‘fear-mongering’ only in a casual sense. I could just as well have titled the thread ‘hate-mongering’, ‘bigotry’ or just plain conceited stupidity.

I suspect his actions were most likely just a clumsy distraction. I doubt Trump’s validation of a nasty group of racists was a considered attempt to make a political statement or promote a particular ideology. I suspect it was little more then a desire to ingratiate himself with his base following in a moment of personal insecurity.

Like his mythical Mexican wall and now the unlikely reality of a US embassy move to Jerusalem, it’s all smoke and mirrors, with more focus on social media ‘likes’ than any resemblance of a world leader.


.
Users browsing this topic
Guest, Hope123


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.