DON RAFAEL CONTRERAS Y GALBO Options
vkhu
Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017 1:23:02 PM

Neurons: 6,168
I'm reading a novel, and there's this quote:
Quote:

DON RAFAEL CONTRERAS Y GALBO
PRAY FOR HIS SOUL

This is written on a tombstone, and since the girl visiting it is called Conchita Contreras, I'm guessing Rafael Contreras is the name of her relative. But Google absolutely refuses to translate the "DON" and "Y GALBO" part. Could someone help me out with those, please?
Bedells
Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017 1:54:12 PM

Neurons: 526,482
Regarding the word "Don", it's just a title that can be translated to "Mr." in English. In this case, it would be equivalent to say, "Mr. Rafael Contreras y Galbo".

The letter "Y" used to join last names in Spanish is just a matter of style. Some centuries ago, some famous Spanish writers like Félix Lope de Vega y Carpio or Miguel de Cervantes y Saavedra had their names that way. It is supposed that their names were originally written this way,

Félix Lope de Vega de Carpio
Miguel de Cervantes de Saavedra

In order to avoid cacophony, the word "de" was dropped and then the letter "Y" was used instead. So, probably the person's name on the tombstone was written "DON RAFAEL CONTRERAS DE GALBO", the same way the people just to do it in Spain centuries ago.

Unfortunately, the link from where I got the information is in Spanish, but I'll leave it here for reference.
Erika Michell Sosa
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2018 10:50:39 AM

Neurons: 29,150
In latin america the term is used to define
1. "Respect treatment that is used before the proper name of a person."
2. "Word that is used to address an elderly person whose name is unknown or not remembered."
Moisés Verduga
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 7:05:00 PM

Neurons: 17,671
Anxious Boo hoo! Eh?
Bedells wrote:
Regarding the word "Don", it's just a title that can be translated to "Mr." in English. In this case, it would be equivalent to say, "Mr. Rafael Contreras y Galbo".

The letter "Y" used to join last names in Spanish is just a matter of style. Some centuries ago, some famous Spanish writers like Félix Lope de Vega y Carpio or Miguel de Cervantes y Saavedra had their names that way. It is supposed that their names were originally written this way,

Félix Lope de Vega de Carpio
Miguel de Cervantes de Saavedra

In order to avoid cacophony, the word "de" was dropped and then the letter "Y" was used instead. So, probably the person's name on the tombstone was written "DON RAFAEL CONTRERAS DE GALBO", the same way the people just to do it in Spain centuries ago.

Unfortunately, the link from where I got the information is in Spanish, but I'll leave it here for reference.