The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is this a fallacy, if so, which one? Options
Xxx Xxx 1
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:44:40 AM

Neurons: 28
Hi,

I am quite new at all this and would like your advice on something please...

If someone says: "I am going to do/increase 'xxxxxx', but YOU should not do/decrease 'xxxxxx'. Is the person saying (the 'I' person) creating a fallacy, and if so, which one?

If someone could try to explain this to me clearly (at middle school grade level please), that would be great.

Thank you,

Xav
Xxx Xxx 1
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:12:07 AM

Neurons: 28

It sounds like hypocrisy to me, but as I am new to this, I am not sure it is. Could it be a 'tu quoque'?
will
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 12:20:19 PM

Neurons: 4,357
‘Do as I do, not as I say’ could fall under the charge of hypocrisy, but it’s not necessarily a fallacy.

For example a person might say “I’m going to continue smoking (because I’m addicted and old, and the damage is done), but you should not smoke (because you’re still young and it’s bad for you)”. This would be pretty good advice, not really fallacious.

Tu quoque is different. It’s a form of ad hominem fallacy where a person focuses on perceived hypocrisy rather than addressing the argument.

For example:

James: Vegetarian diets are healthier and better for the environment.
Sue: Rubbish! You eat loads of meat.

The fact that James eats meat has no bearing on the argument that vegetarian diets are better for the environment (or not). Sue has committed a fallacy.