The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The modern history of harassment Options
thar
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 7:50:13 PM

Neurons: 66,218
Since sexual harassment has become such a highlighted topic recently I found this article interesting. The change, through media coverage, from women defending themselves as heroines, to troublemakers who were a danger to society'.

Quote:
an Ingenious Method for Fending Off Gropers
BY NATALIE ZARRELLI // NOVEMBER 1, 2017

A woman demonstrating how to use a hat pin in self defense, 1904. (Credit: Public Domain)

It was a normal, rainy Tuesday in 1912 when 18-year-old Elizabeth Foley found herself in the midst of an armed robbery. She had been walking home with a male colleague from the bank when someone came up behind them. In a flash, the robber swung his arms high and smashed her male companion in the head. The entire payroll for the staff was in his pocket.

Foley, however, was not shaken. In one swift movement she reached for her hatpin, jumped at the robber and aimed right for his face.

“Quick wit, feminine courage, and a hatpin put to flight a bold, daylight highwayman at Bleecker Street and Broadway,” the New York Times reported. Foley was just one participant in a movement of women, armed against their male attackers with a popular fashion accessory of the time: hat pins.

As women gained independence and started walking and traveling alone during the late 1800s and early 1900s, hatpins provided a quick line of defense from the unwanted touches and words of passing men. These lecherous men were known as “mashers,” and considered to be “low-down, cowardly cumberers of the earth,” as a 1904 blurb in the Los Angeles Herald put it. “Any woman with courage and a hatpin can prove it,” the paper added.

An illustration from the Chicago Daily Tribune, September 16, 1900. (Credit: The Chicago Tribune)
The jewels and feathers decorating the metal pins used to secure ornate hats obscured their injurious possibilities. Hatpins grew larger as hats became more decorative, featuring false flowers, fruits and birds; the pins that fastened these hats could be over ten inches long, and their needle-like points posed a considerable threat to anyone who got in its way.

Newspapers across the United States were dotted with stories of women who defended themselves or others with hatpins; one woman prevented a train robbery, while a news bulletin from Chicago heralded a woman’s stabbing of a masher who “tried to put a chloroform rag over her nose.” On September 30, 1900, President Theodore Roosevelt remarked that he loved the “exhibition of strenuous life” by women who used their pins, saying that “no man, however courageous he may be, likes to face a resolute woman with a hatpin in her hand.”

Women began educating one another on the task; self defense manuals, some of which were attributed to a woman named Mademoiselle Gelas, advised a combination of jiu-jitsu, hatpin stabbing and umbrella work to fend off men while walking alone. As historian Estelle Freedman writes in her book Redefining Rape, during the early 1900s sexual assault was too socially damning for many women to report.

At the same time, women’s safety was becoming a public issue. Women protected themselves with hatpins in cities around the country, but the Chicago Daily Tribune was a frequent source for masher and hat-pin stabbing news in the 1910s. While the newspaper “rarely covered rape accusations or trials,” writes Freedman, the murder of 24 women in Chicago in 1905 caused a panic over women’s safety, spurring an extensive anti-crime campaign that focused on arresting and reporting news of mashers.

Suddenly, Freedman writes, news articles openly praised a “fourteen year old who used a hatpin” on a train and a sixteen year old who was “now carrying a pocket revolver.” Hatpin defense even inspired a music hall ballad. Women didn’t always get off scot-free when they used their hatpins to protect themselves, however; they were sometimes arrested or paid medical expenses for the assailant, as actress Eva Tanguay did in 1911 after a stagehand drove her to reach for her pin.

A woman using her umbrella during a ‘Lesson In the Art of Womanly Self-Defense’, 1906. (Credit: Museum of the City of New York/Byron Collection/Getty Images)
The sudden publicity of violence against women ignited debate over a key question: what is harassment, and what can be done about it? At the time, the definition of harassment was hazy and not necessarily illegal, usually placing the responsibility on women to avoid it. And who counted as a masher— someone who physically attacked a woman or simply called out to her on the streets? No matter the definition of harassment, women were clear on the matter: they were sick of having their mobility threatened by men.

For a time, many men seemed to agree. Before women had the power to vote, anti-masher ordinances popped up around the country, and one judge in Omaha, Nebraska created a fee schedule based on various levels of verbal harassment, from a $5 fee for calling a woman “chicken” or “baby-doll.” His law was a rarity, but also widely publicized: “Woe unto the masher that addresses any girl as ‘little Cutie,’” said news reports. Some men complained that city road work was tabled while anti-masher bills occupied council meetings.

Once the anti-masher sentiment was voiced louder and more publically by suffragists and working women, however, the tone of news articles shifted to the offense, criticizing why women felt compelled to stop men’s attentions. One article in the New York Times argued that “a man would not be a very good one otherwise” if he didn’t want to bother a woman in the street.

Much like the suffragists agitating for women’s rights, the hatpin began to be considered a dangerous nuisance, making it easy to argue against them while avoiding talk of harassment. The Los Angeles Herald reported that in 1910, one woman’s hatpin stabbed and scarred a man’s chin by mistake; the New York Times described a case wherein a stray football drove a passing woman’s hatpin into her own head. Some women were using hatpins against policemen during arrests.

Drawing of women observing a diminutive man through a magnifying glass, about to poke the man with a hat pin, 1903. (Credit: The Library of Congress)
After 1912, a combined fear of sharp hatpins and of the women who wielded them resulted in a number of local hatpin ordinances, as well as a few inventions for protecting the ends of a hatpin. By the 1920s, the pins themselves were less common, as many women had freed themselves of their heavy hats, and adopted shorter haircuts as part of flapper culture.

But while fleeting, those vigorous early attempts at combatting mashers with hatpins paralleled “the drive to redefine street harassment as a crime, along with the language of women’s rights,” Freedman writes. Hatpin-wielding women were some of the first voices to call rude men out on their behavior, all while using a tool from the seemingly innocent and feminine world of fashion.

“It would, when intelligently guided, pick a lock, open an ink bottle, furtively spear a pickle,” wrote the San Francisco Call of the hatpin’s growing popularity in 1898. It was nearly impossible to name all the uses of a hatpin, the writer adds, but one stuck out: just as women’s place in the public sphere grew, “all at once the sphere of the hatpin widened. The pin became a weapon of defense…Let the men who have been punctured by it examine their own consciences.”

Source www.history.com

hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 9:51:17 PM

Neurons: 454,017
I love your thread thar. The illustrations are worth copying if only just for me. I am sharing this info with my friends. I especially like the drawing of the women around the very little guy, and also the little kitty cat in the pict entitled "Women Armed With Favorite Weapons", the source is awesome. Applause

Believe it or not...about 35 years ago, while riding in a very crowded subway car, standing by a pole, a man standing too close to me, tried to touch my breasts and I did STAB HIM WITH A HAT PIN, it was easy because he was in front of me...and although I didn't wear hats, my dad (who was born in 1910), knowing I'm 4'11", ('well rounded' and 'well rounded') suggested I should carry one, so I had one pinned on my bag. He started screaming in pain...Yikes! I've never seen so much blood...in the melee, the police came. I almost got arrested...(I just wanted my hat pin back!)....another time, also on the subway, I almost killed a guy with my umbrella...I almost got arrested then too, because I was standing over him and he was passed out when the police arrived..but I didn't... I guess my height was a contributing factor! "Those were the days my friend..."

...I enjoyed this very informative thread immensely!
thank you again thar....hedy Dancing

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
srirr
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 1:12:41 AM

Neurons: 185,912
Thanks Thar for sharing the article. Its really informative, interesting and encouraging. No matter which decade we talk about, such harassment incidents with ladies of all ages have been common. Unfortunately!

Nowadays, pepper sprays or such things are being marketed in name of their safety, but what is more important is their confidence and quick reflex. No one can deny this ugly fact that there is not even a single lady who has never been a subject to such harassment. They should not be afraid of using anything that can act as a defence weapon. Like Hedy said, a hatpin or an umbrella can work. Hit on the vital areas, like face, between eyes, throat, crotch.

There was a time in India, when ladies of some community and some tribes used to carry daggers hidden in their hair. It looked as a sort of hairpin, but could be handy in defending oneself.

Here in my city, a lot of awareness programmes are organized in this line. The basis of these programmes is to build up confidence among ladies and girls and encourage them to face any such unwanted situation.

And Hedy, you deserve applause! Applause

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 1:12:53 AM

Neurons: 43,441
I like the TV show Madame Secretary. (even though she solves all the world problems in an hour each week)

In one show a foreign male came up behind and audaciously grabbed her behind as she bent over a table doing something. She turned around and reflexively socked him a good one in the face. Good for her. Made me feel good that he got what he deserved. Of course she was in trouble as he was a foreign diplomat - I forget how they made it ok for her in the storyline at fhe end. I think she threatened to expose him if he ever did it again.

But women should be taught to act just as reflexively all the time. We just don't have hat pins any more but if one learns how, one can hit without breaking your own hand. Self defence courses are good for both sexes.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:11:25 AM

Neurons: 337,181
If you use high heels, stepping on the attackers foot might cause enough pain to stop the guy.
Also, if you kick the guys shinbone sweeping it sideways, it might stop him.

Hat pins, daggers, and such can cause YOU some trouble with the officials.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:43:32 AM

JJ, I would think/hope that if one were being attacked or assaulted one could use what ever defences one could find without being attacked later by the authorities. Although victims used to be /are often victimized further by the law and society. It is one reason why women don't come forward with allegations at the time.

Copping a feel or bum patting is not in the same category.

Any self defence ideas I have seen have said that if you are being attacked you have to have the attitude of being "all in" - no half-hearted attempts. Women need to be trained to "go for the kill". Realize you are fighting for your life.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 3:15:29 PM

It's way different than anything we've discussed so far, but it was aired yesterday and I was able to watch only one half hour of an hour show about Elizabeth Smart's abduction from her bedroom at age 14 in Utah. She answers questions from viewers. A half hour was all I could handle. She lived it for nine months and was only a child. The story she tells is horrendois.

She was held captive for nine months by a male and a female, both psychopaths, raped daily, and abused physically and emotionally. He claimed he was a prophet.

She was rescued and has grown up, married, and become an advocate for children. He is in jail for life and the wife got a few years.

What a strong and courageous woman!

almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 4:51:41 PM

Neurons: 5,660

A needle, a fountain pen as well as a frying pan
can be a lethal tool.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4229856/LOL-assassin-

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:13:24 AM

Neurons: 5,379
It is said by some that in the Victorian era when railways were first invented women would put razor blades between their lips before the train reached a tunnel, in case a man tried to steal a kiss in the darkness. How true that is I don't know.

Here in the UK items such as pepper sprays and mace are illegal offensive weapons and carrying them is a crime, its a mistake a few foreign visitors have made on entering the UK.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:31:07 PM

Neurons: 42,194

Sarries - I should think a razor blade would have been awfully dangerous in a jolting carriage!

What I have come across though, from about 1840 onward, are articles encouraging women to insert a pin into their mouths, clenched between the teeth, the minute the train goes into a tunnel - so any man who tries to kiss them in the darkness will get a shock!

I think the finest weapon modern girls have is their voices. I've heard/seen young girls stand up in a bus or train and say loudly "You disgusting pervert! Why did you put your hand on my leg?"....and the man usually is made to leave the train at the next stop.
Whereas we used to sit in petrified silence, racking our brains for what we had done wrong to make this person think we wanted them to do it!

Even where I live, if any of the young mums get into a pickle with an unwanted or difficult visitor they just yell. And everyone rushes down. In one case, where the attacked had bolted the front door they kicked it in!!

Things are now VERY different in UK and Australia - and even South Africa - than they were even 20 years ago!

And a lot of women who are coming forward now are doing so because of it.
hedy mmm
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 3:15:55 PM

Neurons: 454,017
Thank you Jyrkkä Jätkä, almo 1 and Sarrriesfan for mentioning very good defense weapons, although some are illegal or cumbersome (like a frying pan). d'oh!

almo 1, the illustration of the women killing that man (who was carrying a fake ID—HELLO?) possibly had been harassed by him in an earlier episode and decided to get even...he's not the most attractive sort and it would have taken two women to accost him...don't you think?
I would casually walk away too! Whistle

What I do remember is to carry my key ring (with several keys) between my fingers with metal ends and the key ring closed in my palm, especially when walking or riding public transportation, it's hard to spot...you could kill someone if your aim is a punch to the face...

In 1964, 28 yrs old Kitty Genovese was on her way home from work, she was stabbed by a rapist whom she didn't know, in an alleyway in front of her apartment building. She was heard screaming and screaming and seen by bystanders...but NO ONE came to her aid...so much for her 'VOICE'...that is where the 'Genovese Syndrome' got its name...The killer, who confessed, died year ago in prison at the age of 81. I was 12 yrs old...and I will never forget.

Hope123, yes, 'go for the kill' is the best advise...and BTW you can still purchase hat pins in antique shops or jewelry estate sales which I frequent, (I am also a jeweler in the diamond exchange for over 50 yrs.). I have a very slim dagger disguised as a pen and it also writes...it looks so real that I sometimes forget it's in my bag! d'oh!

srirr thanks for the Applause

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 12:18:09 PM

Romany wrote:

Sarries - I should think a razor blade would have been awfully dangerous in a jolting carriage!

What I have come across though, from about 1840 onward, are articles encouraging women to insert a pin into their mouths, clenched between the teeth, the minute the train goes into a tunnel - so any man who tries to kiss them in the darkness will get a shock!

I think the finest weapon modern girls have is their voices. I've heard/seen young girls stand up in a bus or train and say loudly "You disgusting pervert! Why did you put your hand on my leg?"....and the man usually is made to leave the train at the next stop.
Whereas we used to sit in petrified silence, racking our brains for what we had done wrong to make this person think we wanted them to do it!

Even where I live, if any of the young mums get into a pickle with an unwanted or difficult visitor they just yell. And everyone rushes down. In one case, where the attacked had bolted the front door they kicked it in!!

Things are now VERY different in UK and Australia - and even South Africa - than they were even 20 years ago!

And a lot of women who are coming forward now are doing so because of it.

Yes pins that makes more sense Romany.

Romany
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 2:24:48 PM

Neurons: 42,194

One of the little-known dangers that women lived through in WWII was rape. With the blackouts women everywhere became vulnerable. Plus, a lot of women WERE about in the black-out as nurses, emergency workers, etc. etc.

My mother conducted blitz-defence classes for women and girls (as if the blitz wasn't enough for them to cope with!) These were just ordinary housewives and schoolgirls and didn't have recourse to any special equipment. So she advised them all to carry a humble pepper pot or packet with them. A face full of ground pepper proved a useful deterrent to many a bloke lurking with intent!
almo 1
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 3:41:08 PM

Sam Pepper is a British YouTube personality

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Pepper

In September 2014, Pepper uploaded a controversial video titled "Fake Hand Ass Pinch Prank".
In the video, Pepper would go up to women and ask for directions before pinching their buttocks.

Soon after the video was published, many women stated that they had been sexually harassed or raped by Pepper.

Subsequently, the hashtag #ReportSamPepper trended on Twitter, along with many people criticising Pepper's actions.

Pepper released another video a few days later where women would go behind men and pinch their buttocks. On the same day, he published another video explaining that his first prank was a "social experiment" and that the video was "staged and scripted". He went on to say that sexual harassment was "the focal point of the experiment".

Pepper removed both of these videos from YouTube shortly after their releases.

Fellow video blogger Laci Green published a video called "Sam Pepper Exposed", addressing the sexual harassment allegations to Pepper. Green also wrote an open letter calling on Pepper to "stop violating women and making them uncomfortable on the street for views".
The letter received more than 100,000 signatures, including many fellow YouTube personalities.
Lotje1000
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 4:25:45 AM

Neurons: 411,654
I believe he also had videos where he approached women, supposedly to ask them directions or something, and then kissed them.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 12:38:27 AM

Neurons: 155,747
hedy mmm wrote:
almo 1, the illustration of the women killing that man (who was carrying a fake ID—HELLO?) possibly had been harassed by him in an earlier episode and decided to get even...he's not the most attractive sort and it would have taken two women to accost him...don't you think?
I would casually walk away too!
Whistle

Hi!
Possibly you didn't notice the guy's name.

These women were assassins, hired to kill the brother of the leader of North Korea (there are several theories about which side wanted him dead . . .)
He was using a fake ID because he wasn't supposed to be leaving the country.

It was nothing to do with sexual harassment, it was pure political murder.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 4:41:59 PM

“The Hatpin Peril” Terrorized Men Who Couldn’t Handle the 20th-Century Woman

On the afternoon of May 28, 1903, Leoti Blaker, a young Kansan touring New York City, boarded a Fifth Avenue stagecoach at 23rd Street and settled in for the ride. The coach was crowded, and when it jostled she noticed that the man next to her settled himself an inch closer to her. She made a silent assessment: elderly, elegantly dressed, “benevolent-looking.” The horse picked up speed and ...
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2017 4:44:55 AM

Former BBC newsreader Jan Leeming reveals
she felt 'violated' by 'intimate frisk' at Heathrow claiming
her whole body was 'rubbed' by a female security worker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/3 December 2017

Former BBC newsreader Jan Leeming has revealed how she was left ‘nauseated’ by an ‘intimate frisk’ at Heathrow.
Parpar1836
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:12:55 AM

Neurons: 8,754
Let's not forget the classic episode of All in the Family showing Edith Bunker fending off a would-be rapist who invaded the house by ramming a hot pie into his face, then pushing him outside and locking the door!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2017 5:38:54 AM

Neurons: 337,181
We Finns have Justiina.

If you ever see this creature in your vestibule when coming home at 2AM, you'll never drink again.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
almo 1
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 12:32:26 PM

Romany wrote:

My mother conducted blitz-defence classes for women and girls (as if the blitz wasn't enough for them to cope with!) These were just ordinary housewives and schoolgirls and didn't have recourse to any special equipment.

You were sent to a convent in Australia for some reason?

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst179087_Bishop-George-Pell.aspx

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 6:16:11 PM

In many countries the Catholic Church has Convent Schools for girls, where the teaching staff are nuns.

almo 1
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2018 10:01:23 PM

Whoopi Goldberg has criticised the woman who accused Aziz Ansari of sexual misconduct.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/whoopi-goldberg-aziz-ansari-

Whoopi Goldberg criticises Aziz Ansari accuser: 'Whatever happened to ‘Stop or I’m going to knock you in your nuts?’'

almo 1
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2018 4:49:05 AM

nuts means knackers(vulgar word) in British English.
almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:36:30 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-careful-metoo-

Trudeau says zero tolerance on misconduct toward women applies to him as well

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says women who come forward with complaints of sexual assault and harassment must be supported and believed.

And he’s confident no one will be able to accuse him of the kinds of behaviour that have brought down several high-profile politicians this week.

“I’ve been very, very careful all my life to be thoughtful, to be respectful of people’s space and people’s headspace as well,” he told CBC Radio’s The House, in an interview airing Saturday.

When asked if any of his past actions could be misconstrued, Trudeau said he didn’t think so.

“This is something that I’m not new to. I’ve been working on issues around sexual assault for over 25 years.