The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

DID YOU KNOW? Lollygag Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 11:01:19 AM

Neurons: 528,213
There are many interesting words that are common vernacular for AE & BE speakers, however are not familiar to ESL folk. This is one of them. An app (from Merriam Webster Dictionary) is featured in TFD which, although I'm well versed in English, find it very interesting and informative. It's especially helpful for those who wish to learn English....Enjoy!

LOLLYGAG - verb [LAH-lee-gag]
"You certainly didn't want to be known as a lollygagger at the beginning of the 20th century. Back then, lollygag was slang for "fooling around" (sexually, that is). That sense of lollygag was in use at least as long ago as 1868, and it probably originated as an alteration of the older (and more dawdlingly innocent) lallygag.

Nowadays, lollygag doesn't usually carry such naughty connotations, but back in 1946, one Navy captain considered lollygagging enough of a problem to issue this stern warning: "Lovemaking and lollygagging are hereby strictly forbidden.... The holding of hands, osculation and constant embracing of WAVES [Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service], corpsmen or civilians and sailors or any combination of male and female personnel is a violation of naval discipline...."

Source: word@m-w.com

BTW This thread brings to memory the 'well-rounded' thread which appeared recently and was thoroughly discussed. TFDers had many opinions which were quite interesting.d'oh!
hedy Dancing

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 11:30:33 AM

Neurons: 176,625
Hmmm Think

I knew only the 'idling around/loafing' meaning - the 'constant embracing of WAVES' is a lost definition!

The Oxford University Press blog has this to say.
Quote:

Lollygag. In July 2007 I already wrote what I thought about this word. Although most people, at least in America, say lollygag, its doublet lallygag is well-known.
The variation is typical. We are dealing with a sound imitative or perhaps sound symbolic complex endowed with a vague sense, and vowel alternations emphasize the scope and fluidity of its meaning (a good example of what semioticians call iconicity). Outside English and partly in it, including its past periods, rather many words begin with lall– and lill-, synonymous with loll-; also, lolly once meant “tongue.” Even Engl. lull is “sort of” (those around me say “kinda”) related. Nor are compounds with loll– too rare. I could cite loblolly “thick gruel” (to be strictly distinguished from the thin gruel Oliver Twist was fed), later “bumpkin, hayseed, hillbilly,” and lollypop, along with British dialectal lollpot “lazy, lounging fellow” and lollypot “idiot.”

Lollygag too is probably of dialectal origin. Although seemingly an Americanism, lollygag aligns itself very well with lollypot and the rest. Gag is another sound imitative word, as evidenced by gaggle, giggle, dialectal guggle, and their kin. Loll- covers the territory from mumbling to loafing; gag- refers to actions as different as choking and cheating. Conjoined, they produce the effect of a wasteful activity, whose overtones vary. A specific difficulty in etymologizing such formations is the dubious character of the third vowel. Perhaps lollygag arose as loll-a-gag (compare lack-a-daisical, jack-a-napes, rag-a-muffin, and so forth). In pronunciation, the difference between connecting i and a is not too significant. Anyway, lollygag resembles the tautological compounds mentioned in the previous post. Both elements of this verb seem to mean approximately “kill time.” Those are odd words: lollygag, bullyrag, scalawag….

"Cheating tongues" does sound like it has sexual connotations, doesn't it?

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
taurine
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 11:35:50 AM

Neurons: 68,005
I thought for a while that it is sort of a sweet version of a gagging order, because of the usage of "lolly" Drool .

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 11:48:15 AM

You mean something like this?

Would definitely stop one talking!

taurine
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:05:48 PM

Neurons: 68,005
Yes Drool

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017
coag
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:28:37 PM

Neurons: 5,655
Thanks, hedy mmm, for teaching me two English words.

I had never heard "lollygag". I wonder how common is this word.

I had to check my dictionary for that "osculation". I had had no clue what it meant. It's etymologically related to the Latin "oral", that's what I learned from Online Etymology Dictionary.

As far as the well-rounded thread is concerned, I appreciate any advice which helps to improve my English and my relationships with the gentle sex (English and relationships are in alphabetical order). Your suggestions were especially valuable because you, as a lady, explained a topic related to ladies. Thanks for that.

PS

To fellow English learners, "osculation" is kissing.

After rereading my post I realized that my comments might be misinterpreted. My only intention was to refer to the etymology of the word, honestly.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:48:17 PM

Neurons: 468,332
I've been using this word all my life. Mom used to warn us to not lollygag. It means that you're not working fast enough, that you're "dragging your feet", not making the necessary effort required for the task.
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 1:50:42 PM

DragOnspeaker wrote:
Hmmm Think
I knew only the 'idling around/loafing' meaning - the 'constant embracing of WAVES' is a lost definition!

It's funny DragOnspeaker that you should begin with 'Hmmm'...you see, those happen to be the initials of my full name!

Anywho!...the WAVES comment was referring to the Navy captain who interpreted the word as meaning that the soldiers were 'screwing around' with the WAVES which was the acronym for Women who were Allowed to Volunteer in Emergency Service...for they were not allowed to serve in the armed forces...surely things have changed!

I assume that you posted in 2007, (I LOVE YOUR RESPONSE & FURTHER EXPLANATION ). I only joined TFD a couple of years ago so I wasn't privy. I would have loved this app sooner, but didn't know of it. Like Wilmar (USA), coag, and taurine, I have less that 1,000 neurons in the forum...yet willing so much to learn, (thus the over 420k neurons). I am pleased that coag has learned new words and is gracious about it...thank you coag.

Wilmar (USA), my dad would interpret my day dreaming as lollygagging...but because of his heavy accent he would pronounce it as 'lo-la-gan-ning'...he was so cute...children was shildrin and shoes were choosse...sadly he passed in 1981, you brought him back to the forefront of my thoughts today...thank you!
hedy Dancing

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 9:26:46 AM

Hi!

No - I joined here some time in 2010 or 2011. There were no 'neurons' in those days - you just got three points per post (and there were no extra points for games or for reading articles).
The forum then was just a forum - for chatting about interesting (and sometimes silly) bits of data about the language. Though there were still questions from learners, it was not so many.

That 2007 quote is from the Oxford Press author - much better than I would do.

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 7:01:06 AM

Neurons: 409,255
I tend to procrastinate now and tend ;-)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 8:06:35 AM

Neurons: 500,500
hedy mmm wrote:
LOLLYGAG - verb [LAH-lee-gag]

I got acquainted with the word this spring on this our beloved TFD forum. It was given as a synonym to 'mollyhorn'. :)

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
TMe
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 10:56:03 AM

Neurons: 4,943
Hats Off to you, hedy.
Well researched word. Wonderful. Excellent.

You know better adjectives. Add all those.Applause Applause Applause Applause

I am a layman.
IMcRout
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 11:15:14 AM

Neurons: 563,379
LOL. Dancing

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Romany
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 11:42:05 AM

Neurons: 44,788

I.M -

Applause
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 10:44:20 AM

Today I've been shillyshallying more than really needed.

hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 11:47:22 AM

Trust me Jyrkkä Jätkä, you're not alone....there a few in TFD, as me who are too.

BTW I like that synonym "shillyshalling" Applause ... after all, it's Monday so we are allowed to do just that!

I have a word I made up over 40 yrs ago, 'Shootys Kabooties!' to use in place of 'Oh, sh_t!' d'oh!

Believe it or not, I have a gaggle of friends that STILL use my word, especially in front of me (they know better then to use the other word), and it always provokes us to reminiscent laughter...of course, it's for us girls only....Whistle

Thank you!
hedy Dancing

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 12:04:55 PM

I've made some of my very own epithets or swearwords, too.

Syvänmeren rysäkeppi, something like a deep-sea fyke stick.
Suohinaaja, bog tug
Lettoreimari, swamp buoy
Kynnetön ynnykkä, that's impossible to translate, but every Finn would understand it's not a good epithet ;-)

Have fun to try to figure it out how these phrases are pronounced.

hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 1:55:58 PM

Hey, I love it Jyrkkä Jätkä, it's fun...because if it's not my native language then whomever I use the word with won't know I'm swearing!
Of course, I have to know what a 'deep sea fyke stick', 'bog tug' or 'swamp buoy' are...and I guess it has to do with water...a boat...and the parasite, useless, low life description.
That last phrase seems to be a real no-no phrase. I'm taking a wild stab at how it's pronounced — 'Key-en-tune E-nee-oui-ku'....PLEASE CORRECT ME!

There is an expression I still often use—QSJ!, which is the acronym for "¡Que Se Joda!" (Please do not castigate me for writing this term, my compadres/fellow 'Latinos'). I don't know if it actually exists, but every Puerto Rican would probably figure it out!

On a wall in my office I had a 2 ft by 1 ft framed poster that I created with the letters QSJ that were over 8 inches tall each, however it had very small letters that repeatedly spelled out the acronym within the shape of each letter Q-S-J. From afar you couldn't decipher the wording. One day my mom came to visit my office, and as I stepped out to get us lunch, she climbed up on a chair to see what I wrote (I wouldn't divulge the 'quote' to her for the obvious). You can just imagine my chagrin upon my return...suffice to say, I didn't eat pleasantly, alas, I took the poster down...this was over 20 yrs ago. Sadly, my mom Lily, transitioned 3 yrs ago...when I think of her, this episode is bittersweet, you see, I was a business owner/professional & a mom with a 22 yr old son...she expected more from me, yet I haven't changed one iota!!!

I will have fun in learning your phrases, (I have a friend in Finland through Rotary)...thank you for sharing Jyrkkä Jätkä. I truly enjoy your post responses, even in their subtlety...I sit smiling...
hedy

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 2:07:11 PM

You don't really need tugs and buoys in swamps. They are useless. That's the idea.

Kynnetön ynnykkä could roughly be translated as nailless old miserable person, but that doesn't have the same tone.
See the Google translate page (with a useless translation), and click the audio-button on the Finnish box.
https://translate.google.fi/?hl=fi&tab=wT#fi/en/kynnet%C3%B6n%20ynnykk%C3%A4

It's good to have fun with languages, Finnish or English, no matter ;-)

hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 7:29:38 PM

"...good to have fun with languages"... Amen to that...
Thanks for the Google link...Have a great week ;)
hedy