Romany
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:56:43 AM

Neurons: 46,025
Hope - yep. Works for me!
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 6:28:38 AM

Neurons: 500,500
Romany wrote:
EDITED TO ADD: Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 - as this is a language site, may I just point out that the meaning of schadenfreude is to take delight, or be happy about, the misfortunes or mistakes of others? It's not an emotion I have ever had. I was not expressing shadenfreude but a sense of delight that the site can shuck off pernicious influences once more. Admit it was a bit cheeky - but I was just my expressing personal joy that TFD can now return to civilised discourse and manners.

Just trying to learn a new word. :) Thanks for correcting. And to be honest I like the gentleman.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:23:14 AM

Neurons: 5,715

Actually 'nastiness' was a more proper word
than schadenfreude and describes her character well.

yes, he(TheParther) was a gentleman
but ruined by some stalkers.

whatson
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:53:52 AM

Neurons: 2,642
Your toad-licking won't kill you, Parser-boys, you can carry on indefinitely.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-toad-licking-gets-you-high-and-then-kills-you-1642946043

I am a lay-about.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:05:14 AM

Neurons: 427,328
Almo,
I just can't but wonder.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:51:10 AM

Neurons: 500,500
whatson wrote:
Your toad-licking won't kill you, Parser-boys, you can carry on indefinitely.

Quote:
Sistrurus is a genus of venomous pit vipers found in Canada.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
FROSTY X RIME
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:37:24 AM

Neurons: 11,324
almo 1 wrote:

Actually 'nastiness' was a more proper word
than schadenfreude and describes her character well.

yes, he(TheParther) was a gentleman
but ruined by some stalkers.

I do agree with Almo for his words that she is nasty. (I will also say shadenfreud is all right to use for the occasion) That has been the way I have been feeling about some individuals' response to Parser.
Romany is one of the rudest I have ever encountered in my whole life apart from nasty and horrible. Busybody as well.
She often personally attacks people.

Most of time, I don't bother to read her posts and but when a couple of times I read, I couldn't help but cringe.

I particularly remember this when someone posted a question something like the following:
"What should we say to person in the queue before us who doesn't move when the whole queue before the person is moving?"
She answered something like the following: "We don't say anything. We just tap their shoulder."

The answer has made me wonder whether she was aware where we were. We were/are on English language forum!
We, learners do ask questions regarding the language in order to improve our conversation skill spoken and written and yet she answered like that.
And then when she encountered the questions she didn't know, she suggested the question should not be posted in the forum at all.
If nobody knows the answers, the questions can be left unanswered. People are fine by that.
People share their knowledge on the internet or off-line by simply asking questions and then she ignores this aspect of activity and slams the people who ask questions with her arrogance without sufficient knowledge.

What should be shall be-The fellowship of the ring-
Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 10:28:25 AM

Neurons: 492,945
FROSTY X RIME wrote:

I do agree with Almo for his words that she is nasty. (I will also say shadenfreud is all right to use for the occasion) That has been the way I have been feeling about some individuals' response to Parser.
Romany is one of the rudest I have ever encountered in my whole life apart from nasty and horrible. Busybody as well.
She often personally attacks people.

Just so you know, you are using personal attacks now as well.

FROSTY X RIME wrote:

I particularly remember this when someone posted a question something like the following:
"What should we say to person in the queue before us who doesn't move when the whole queue before the person is moving?"
She answered something like the following: "We don't say anything. We just tap their shoulder."

This sounds like a cultural misunderstanding. It seems like Romany implied that where she's from, it suffices to just tap someone on the shoulder. Nothing needs to be said. She never said that you should only tap them on the shoulder. Just that it is a viable alternative to talking.

FROSTY X RIME wrote:

The answer has made me wonder whether she was aware where we were. We were/are on English language forum!

As you know, there are more aspects to a language than the words. A language is strongly influenced by cultural habits. Tapping someone on the shoulder rather than vocalising a request can, as such, be a valuable response to someone's question.

FROSTY X RIME wrote:

We, learners do ask questions regarding the language in order to improve our conversation skill spoken and written and yet she answered like that.
And then when she encountered the questions she didn't know, she suggested the question should not be posted in the forum at all.
If nobody knows the answers, the questions can be left unanswered. People are fine by that.
People share their knowledge on the internet or off-line by simply asking questions and then she ignores this aspect of activity and slams the people who ask questions with her arrogance without sufficient knowledge.

How you read/interpret her posts can be true in some cases. In most cases, however, I think you are misinterpreting what is going on, because text-based conversation makes it very difficult to read a person's emotions and inflection. What you see as 'slamming' might not be at all what she intended.
As an example, when you said "The answer has made me wonder whether she was aware where we were." reads to me as sounding very condescending. I can't be 100% sure of that, however, as this is all text-based and I'm missing the necessary inflections/body language/signals that would tell me what you meant.

I suggest acting on these things as they occur and checking with Romany if what you interpreted is actually what she intended.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 11:33:22 AM

Neurons: 48,155
You learn something new everyday on here if you are curious enough to locate further info. I knew we had Massasauga rattlers in the Bruce Peninsula in more northern Ontario and perhaps in other places in Ontario. But I had never heard of the term Sistrurus so looked it up.

It means rattlers and there are three kinds. All of the two other kinds and most of the other kind found in Canada are found in the United States. Interesting that they are not found in other continents as far as I could find. At least they give warning they are about to strike by rattling their tails.

I think it is our only venomous snake and it is on the Endangered list.

In FL we were taught to be careful when gardening because one does not hear the distinctive rattle when a Pygmy Rattler is about to strike because it is is small as one might guess from the name.
::

For the newer posters who defend Parser, you do not know the history of what he said about our characters and how he treated us in a most ungentlemanly way that made us push back.

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 4:13:31 PM

Neurons: 3,185,714
I had a post on my opinions of Parser, but it started meandering and was probably more accusatory than I meant, so I didn't want to stir things up. I'll be, err, moderate here and say I've seen worse people (see: the people who make the news he read, 4chan, certain reddit subgroups,) but all the same, certain groups Parser had a strong opinion on had right to be very upset.

So instead, I go back to the original topic: the meaning of the word "Bastard."

Ian Dury and the Blockheads had a funny song called "They weren't 'arf some clever bastards." Which shows the term can be used positively, too. Warning: contains profanity when praising Einstein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPvRsLWlDXw

Also recommended: his "Reasons to be Cheerful."

100th person on TFD to 1 million neurons.
towan52
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:17:20 PM

Neurons: 185,520
Andrew Schultz wrote:
I had a post on my opinions of Parser, but it started meandering and was probably more accusatory than I meant, so I didn't want to stir things up. I'll be, err, moderate here and say I've seen worse people (see: the people who make the news he read, 4chan, certain reddit subgroups,) but all the same, certain groups Parser had a strong opinion on had right to be very upset.

So instead, I go back to the original topic: the meaning of the word "Bastard."

Ian Dury and the Blockheads had a funny song called "They weren't 'arf some clever bastards." Which shows the term can be used positively, too. Warning: contains profanity when praising Einstein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPvRsLWlDXw

Also recommended: his "Reasons to be Cheerful."

Nor yet "Billericay Dickey" my home town in another life.

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:29:39 PM

Neurons: 7,237
I quite like Spasticus Autisticus, a song Ian Dury wrote about the anger he felt at the way he was treated as a disabled person.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6isXNVdguI8

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 4:37:50 AM

The Greatest Bastard

://www.youtube/Damien Rice

almo 1
Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017 12:28:26 AM

almo 1
Posted: Monday, December 4, 2017 2:28:12 AM

Tovarish
Posted: Monday, December 4, 2017 4:58:06 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Damn, all this has been going on and I have missed it, went straight through to the keeper, thats probably because I have been watching the Test and not posting.

Carry on, and I will pay more attention.
Romany
Posted: Monday, December 4, 2017 11:53:51 AM

Tov,

Yeah sure, Lottje, Hope and I missed having you - another woman - around when the site was a platform for misogyny, racism, violent language, and "alternative facts." (I still find it difficult to say "lies").

But you're lucky you missed it. Honestly. This wasn't just bantering, and discussion - it was something completely new to us: I really think we came face-to-face with real, destructive, hatred. Things that person said have stayed in my head and go round and round at times.

Anyway, we missed you and are just really glad to see you around again. (Don't know if you've noticed, But Ruth has also started popping in again from time to time, too. And one or two others have started doing the same.)

Coming up for my 4th Xmas in England. I've finally stopped thinking how weird it is that its so bloody cold, and missing the seafood-platter barbies by the pool that signal Xmas in Oz. I think, if we actually got snow instead of dull, grey coldness, by this year I'd be 100% almost-converted.

Tovarish
Posted: Monday, December 4, 2017 7:11:00 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Blast Rom, all the things that bring the heckles up on the back of my neck, misogyny. racism, violent language and bending of the truth.

I have been Trolled on TFD in the past so sympathise.

I will definitely pay more attention.
Yllek (Я говорю по-английски)
Posted: Thursday, December 7, 2017 8:30:12 PM

Neurons: 11,376
Dennis Chen wrote:
This is something that should be dealt with TFD administration, not us reading his post.

it also seems that this problem could be fixed if you just don't post for a while...

but it's just a suggestion
Romany
Posted: Friday, December 8, 2017 10:12:16 AM

Yllek and Dennis.

There were problems on this site before you joined.

Those particular problems have now been solved.

There is no need to comment now about it. Those of us who were here at the time are happy it's now solved.

There is no need for newcomers to fear that they'll be insulted because of their colour, gender, country, religion (of lack of it), nationality,politics, private sexual behaviour, or occupation. The problem has been solved and...forgotten.
almo 1
Posted: Friday, December 8, 2017 3:02:48 PM

Yllek (Я говорю по-английски) wrote:

it also seems that this problem could be fixed if you just don't post for a while...

Yes. Applause

Thank you very much for the suggestion :)