The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I am NOT a bastard Options
Romany
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 12:33:32 PM

Neurons: 42,268

I shouldn't worry too much - as your words contained more than two syllables it's likely Parsar doesn't know what they mean - like "dotard"!

And no, Will, I wasn't talking humanity - just this site. Believe it or not, I used to include this Forum on the "Suggested Reading" list for my students each semester when I was in China! It really was a great resource and used to attract some truly knowledgeable, funny and entertaining people.

I'm still in touch with some of them on my own sites, and they'd be back like a shot if Parsar merely obeyed the Forum rules.No big deal - just sticking to the rules. Problem solved.

almo 1
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 5:27:17 PM

Neurons: 5,715
Andrew Schultz wrote:
Oh goodness. I've been away a bit, and I'm glad I missed the major flare-up, but ... for all TheParser's "word/tidbit of the day," etc. to teach people about English, there's a huge huge contradiction here if The_Parser doesn't understand "bastard" is just a rude name and not an implication of someone's parentage. I mean, it's rarely used as the second. E.g. in South Park, "Oh my God! They killed Kenny! You bastards!"

I know in quick-chess games, if someone is surprised by a trick/crushing moves, someone says "you bastard." And that's in a "gentlemen's game." (OK, chess in a park maybe isn't, but it's a pretty common phrase.) Wouldn't it be easier to say, well, I know what it's come to mean, but it's a word that sets me off, and I hope you understand that?

Maybe Parser is now pretending to be a Russian troll who doesn't grasp connotation to, as was stated above, pull our chains.

I was so disappointed the admins fell down on banning Yarin when Yarin found the spamming loophole (posted 80 times, then came over and started spamming about Syria.) But it's happened again. Too bad.

"Bastard

Usage

In the past the word bastard was the standard term in both legal and non-legal use for ‘an illegitimate child’. Today, however, it has little importance as a legal term and is retained in this older sense only as a term of abuse"

Reference:

Is "Bastard" a swear word?

Why isn't the word 'Bastard' used for girls?

https://dysfunctionalliteracy.com/2017/09/14/why-is-bastard-a-bad-word/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/14dtc2/serious_question_why_is_the_word_bastard_not/

Dennis Chen
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 6:52:36 PM

Neurons: 24,434
TheParser wrote:
1. There is a member who calls himself "Tunaafi."

2. I do not read any posts by this "Tunaafi."

3. This "Tunaafi" has stalked me since he joined these forums.

4. Last night, some friends telephoned me to report that this "Tunaafi" calls me a "bastard" in one of his latest posts.

a. My beloved parents were legally married.

5. My friends tell me that this "Tunaafi" also calls me a "bigot," a "liar," and a "coward."
6. My friends tell me that this "Tunaafi" also begs the administrators to read his post.
7. My friends tell me that this "Tunaafi" also lambasts the administrators for letting me express my opinions.

8. I urge every member, guest, and administrator to read his post.

9. His post is in the thread entitled "Virginia/New Jersey" in the "Politics" forum.

Have a nice day!

What's the point in reading his post?
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 5:14:36 AM

Neurons: 1,156,707
sweat mode all day wrote:
TheParser wrote:

4. Last night, some friends telephoned me to report that this "Tunaafi" calls me a "bastard" in one of his latest posts.

a. My beloved parents were legally married.

What's the point in reading his post?

Well, I got a few (guilty) laughs out of it. So that's something!

I've never telephoned, or been telephoned, about a forum post that referenced me. I feel alone and unloved now. Sad, sad me.

100th person on TFD to 1 million neurons.
will
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 6:37:43 AM

Neurons: 4,345
Personally I rely on a series of hilltop beacons…

This is them in action that time someone corrected me on an errant comma.

Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 4:40:39 AM

Neurons: 60,494
Romany wrote:
SMAD
??? Shaking My Awesome Derriere?

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 5:08:23 AM

Epiphileon wrote:
Romany wrote:
SMAD

SMAD

According to urbandictionary:

Suck My Ass Dumbo

Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 5:36:32 AM

Neurons: 413,129
Epiphileon wrote:
Romany wrote:
SMAD

I believe it was used to reference the user "sweat mode all day" who has since changed their name to Dennis Chen. You can still see the old name in some quoted conversation.
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 12:16:59 PM

Neurons: 230,119
Lotje1000 wrote:
Epiphileon wrote:
Romany wrote:
SMAD

I believe it was used to reference the user "sweat mode all day" who has since changed their name to Dennis Chen. You can still see the old name in some quoted conversation.

I personally think it should be shaking my awesome derriere, even if it isn't. ;-)

I am just getting back into the forum after a slight misunderstanding with local authorities (just kidding) and am wondering what this thread might have looked like if Parsar had been forced to argue the fact that he is not a Mute Donkey.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 12:54:35 PM

Proggy -

the thing is, after rabbiting on about truth and lies, I couldn't have said anything about my "awesome derriere" anyway. Take a line from my shoulder blades to the backs of my ankles and it is dead straight! I buy tights in the Girls department! It would have been a hideous, black, lie!

BTW - people, has no-one taken note that on Friday night Admin looked at this thread...and from Saturday morning onwards our thorn has not been digging into us? The Admin have proved that they are not following the Wizard of Oz model and hiding behind a curtain after all.

We have a casualty on our side: - though Tuna says he doesn't mind taking one for the team: that's what this thread was about, really, as he said in it. He doesn't mind, that is, if Parser's vicious, dark, influence has finally gone.

If, however, he pops up again in a few days time then Justice is indeed dead!

PS. If Parser really has gone can we be grown-ups again and not provide provenance from Reader's Digest, Fox News or Wiki-bloody-pedia as definitive proof?
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 2:27:19 PM

My apologies Romany. I should have read through the thread before going off like that, but SMAD just stuck out like a sore thumb and was begging me to say something.

Looks like I missed quite a bit in the short time I was away from the forum, but any mention of moderators tends to lead to a heated discussion. I've been a moderator on several forums and you are always being over protective or under protective or both at the same time. My personal opinion is that forum discussions are more active and informative when they have well defined rules and enough moderators to enforce them consistently. That does not seem to be the case here, but I think we have still managed pretty well.

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 6:42:51 PM

Neurons: 43,441
I take it back - it looks as if Santa did indeed leave a gift. At least for the time being. I said that Santa hadn't left gifts when I saw he had logged in Friday morning after the perusal Thursday night. (Different time zones, Ro.) I hope Tuna can come back before too long. (Hint - if you want to draw attention, put certain words in thread titles and they are removed immediately or looked at carefully.)
::::

Way to go admins.

Now it is up to us to be extremely careful about our words and how they affect others, and if we offend inadvertently, to clear up the misunderstanding.

Gotta remember SMAD - and I agree with Proggy - I like Epi's definition. 😀

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 6:04:20 AM

Neurons: 339,900
Tranquillity on Earth again ;-)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:56:09 PM

Dancing Ding, dong, the witch is dead,
Which old witch?
The wicked witch?
Ding dong the wicked witch is dead!Dancing

d'oh! Now why on earth did that song suddenly flash into my head - they played when Maggie died, I believe?Drool
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 3:09:08 PM

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 11:35:04 PM

Neurons: 156,323
Hi Almo!

I understand why you posted that - it is not so non-sequitur as many of your random images or links - but as The Parser is gone it is not really fair to resurrect the thread in which he supports a friend who would leave his wife because she is ill.

I realise that is the type of person he is, but you don't need to bring it up again.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 1:04:31 PM

Drago -

clever!Dancing Dancing
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 3:31:14 PM

Romany wrote:

Drago -

clever!Dancing Dancing

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 3:49:59 PM

Satisfaction with oneself when one congratulates someone else? I don't think so.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 3:57:07 PM

almo 1 wrote:
Romany wrote:

Drago -

clever!Dancing Dancing

"Satisfaction with oneself when one congratulates someone else? I don't think so."

Whatever.

FROSTY X RIME
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 4:21:46 PM

Neurons: 10,424
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hi Almo!

I understand why you posted that - it is not so non-sequitur as many of your random images or links - but as The Parser is gone it is not really fair to resurrect the thread in which he supports a friend who would leave his wife because she is ill.

I realise that is the type of person he is, but you don't need to bring it up again.

Dear Drag0

What makes you think Parser is gone?
He has been a valuable teacher in the forum and it will be a big miss if he has.

What makes you conclude he supported his friend who left his ill wife? He probably was just merely stating the fact and situation.

What should be shall be-The fellowship of the ring-
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 10:10:56 PM

Romany wrote:

Dancing Ding, dong, the witch is dead,
Which old witch?
The wicked witch?

d'oh! Now why on earth did that song suddenly flash into my head - they played when Maggie died, I believe?Drool

Why are you so excited?

That's really hysterical (definition 1.1)

progpen
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 10:48:08 PM

So apparently some (or all) of us are like Angelina Jolie being interviewed. I didn't think that was a bad thing, but I must be wrong.

almo 1
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 11:38:50 PM

Jon Voight was a good actor.

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 4:42:54 AM

Neurons: 5,389
Although according to members of his family not the best husband and father.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Romany
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 6:06:11 AM

Sarries -

I didn't know that. Surprising, as he always projects wholesomeness and Country-boy kindness to me. Must be ancient memories of John-boy?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 6:54:45 AM

Neurons: 5,389
Romany wrote:
Sarries -

I didn't know that. Surprising, as he always projects wholesomeness and Country-boy kindness to me. Must be ancient memories of John-boy?

John-Boy Walton was played by a different actor Richard Thomas.

Jon Voight was for a long while estranged from both his son and daughter who both dropped his name from theirs.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 7:09:29 AM

Neurons: 488,183
Romany wrote:
Ding, dong, the witch is dead,
Which old witch?
The wicked witch?

Schadenfreude.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Romany
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 8:09:09 AM

OMG! Seriously? Shows how much I know about TV!! My world has been rocked.
progpen
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 8:20:32 AM

Watched The Waltons for years growing up. That and Little House on the Prairie.

Hope123
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 9:27:46 AM

Angelina is a humanitarian and has received a Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award and an honorary damehood of the Order of St Michael and St George (DCMG), among other honors. She promotes various causes, including conservation, education, and women's rights, and is most noted for her advocacy on behalf of refugees as a Special Envoy for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

Beautiful and an actress with awards too.

Why would anyone think her smug? Jealousy? Can't tolerate smart strong women?

I was looking online for her achievements. There are always comments below videos and articles and people who don't know her or what happened in her marriage to Brad Pitt were calling her all kinds of names worse than being smug, including the c word. I don't know what happened either but if someone cheats on someone to be with you, they will probably cheat on you too and his name was linked with other actresses. I don't know her nor particularly like her or her work, but she deserves respect for the work she does and has done and for the way she refused to say anything negative about Pitt when blindsided by a news anchor when they were talking about her work.

This type of smearing is exactly what women have to put up witth no matter the situation. Smearing attacks on one's reputation are comparable to physical attacks. And it doesn't work on this Forum.

progpen
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 9:43:12 AM

Hope, this isn't about her being smug, but about her not being conservative.

will
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 10:23:17 AM

Neurons: 4,345
Jeesh!
He’s gone. Rightly banned for creating a toxic atmosphere of bickering, sniping and name-calling...yet it looks like you're all determined to keep the nonsense going in his absence. Eh?

Romany
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 10:53:55 AM

Bloody 'ell!

Hope, it hasn't anything to do with Jolie - Almo just wanted a picture to which he could pin his comment of me being "smug" in the response I gave to Drago - a comment which Almo didn't understand.

The very reason I posted it was because Drago neatly side-stepped yet another reminder that I myself am "not all there" due to BPS. He (Drago) was averting the possibility of more digs in a way that I appreciated. As he was being discreet, I was too, by posting just a single word and hoping to move on.

Though I find it creepy and unsettling, Almo continues to post images and comments to put me down.

Though the Parser has finally ceased to bring unpleasantness into the forum every day, it seems "there's always one"...who'll continue his legacy. However, I'm so used to it from Almo and Almost Freebird I've given up being either hurt or annoyed. Mainly because the average poster on these threads has little idea of what Almo's about anyway. So hey....if it rocks his boat or helps him sleep at night to continue harassing me, tant pis.

Unless he gets really creepy again I just carry on regardless and ignore it. No way on gods green earth I have any intentions of letting bullshit and arguments and personal jibes rule again. If he gets something out of it then, really, I don't find any of it worth reacting to. It is, after all, his problem: nothing to do with me.

EDITED TO ADD: Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 - as this is a language site, may I just point out that the meaning of schadenfreude is to take delight, or be happy about, the misfortunes or mistakes of others? It's not an emotion I have ever had. I was not expressing shadenfreude but a sense of delight that the site can shuck off pernicious influences once more. Admit it was a bit cheeky - but I was just my expressing personal joy that TFD can now return to civilised discourse and manners.

Hope123
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 11:07:03 AM

Romany, I know exactly what was going on. I was trying to be subtle. In fact, I wrote a post and quickly deleted it because I didn't want to start more trouble.

I was one of the women that Almostfreebird, Almo now, was banned for stalking before with creepy pictures and gifs. I have been mostly ignoring his posts as well and will continue to do so.

As Will says, let's let this thread die a natural well-deserved death.