The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

An/the another way Options
Tara2
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:09:52 AM

Neurons: 288
Hi!
in the following statement, before another way, is the use of 'the' correct or 'an' or it isn't any need of (here should I use any article?)article?

"Supposing we had won" is (an/the/-)another way of saying "If we had won".
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:42:37 AM

Neurons: 149,215

There is already an article - 'another' is the article for the noun 'way'.

Maybe your grammar calls it a 'determiner', which is a recently-invented 'part of speech', which covers some pronouns, some adjectives and articles.

Or your grammar may say that 'an-' is the article and '-other' is an adjective.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Tara2
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:56:28 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:

There is already an article - 'another' is the article for the noun 'way'.

Maybe your grammar calls it a 'determiner', which is a recently-invented 'part of speech', which covers some pronouns, some adjectives and articles.

Or your grammar may say that 'an-' is the article and '-other' is an adjective.

Thank you very much.
Can you please eplain in my question also, an article is needed or not?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:19:18 AM

Well, I can say that it needs an article.

I don't think that there's any sentence you could write which would have the word 'article' without 'an' or 'the'.

In this case, you are asking about a blank 'no-article', so you could use 'no' as the determiner with a positive sentence - or 'an' with a negative sentence.

In the following statement, before another way, is the use of 'the' correct or 'an' or should there be no article?
In the following statement, before another way, is the use of 'the' correct or 'an' or it isn't there any need of an article?
In the following statement, before another way, is the use of 'the' correct or 'an' or it is there no need for an article?

Tara2
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:45:54 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Well, I can say that it needs an article.

I don't think that there's any sentence you could write which would have the word 'article' without 'an' or 'the'.

In this case, you are asking about a blank 'no-article', so you could use 'no' as the determiner with a positive sentence - or 'an' with a negative sentence.

In the following statement, before another way, is the use of 'the' correct or 'an' or should there be no article?
In the following statement, before another way, is the use of 'the' correct or 'an' or it isn't there any need of an article?
In the following statement, before another way, is the use of 'the' correct or 'an' or it is there no need for an article?

You have explained very well. I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.
Tara2
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:08:39 PM

taaraa wrote:
[quote=Drag0nspeaker]Well, I can say that it needs an article.

Sorry, Drag0nspeaker. can I ask why did you use 'would', in the sentence above? because you imagine it (or it is Subjunctive,irrealis mood)?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:17:57 AM

Hi again!

Yes - it's a modal verb (which is similar in action to a subjunctive - it shows a possibility or probability) and it is sometimes described as a "disguised conditional".

You could write the same information as a normal conditional with an "if" clause.

I don't think that, if you were to write a sentence, there's any sentence you could write which would have the word 'article' without 'an' or 'the'.

Tara2
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:39:36 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hi again!

Yes - it's a modal verb (which is similar in action to a subjunctive - it shows a possibility or probability) and it is sometimes described as a "disguised conditional".

You could write the same information as a normal conditional with an "if" clause.

I don't think that, if you were to write a sentence, there's any sentence you could write which would have the word 'article' without 'an' or 'the'.

Hi, Drag0nspeaker,
Thanks a lot for your help.