The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is 'a public feedback' correct? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 1:16:16 AM

Neurons: 10,759
The authorities responded to a public feedback on the proposed legislation which was sought and these now would be considered as part of efforts to “refine” several aspects of the bill.

This was according to a joint statement by the Ministry of Communications and Information (MCI) and Cyber Security Agency (CSA), which received 92 submissions from the industry.

These included law firms such as Allen & Gledhill, which said it submitted its feedback on behalf of nine financial institutions, all three local carriers–M1, StarHub, and Singtel–consulting firms such as PricewaterhouseCoopers Risk Services and KPMG, and tech vendors such as Amazon Web Services, FireEye, Microsoft, and Palo Alto Networks, reported the ZDNet site.

Amongst the feedback were requests for a clearer definition of systems that were deemed to be part of CIIs, which CSA said would exclude computer systems “in the supply chain supporting the operation of a CII’ (critical information infrastructure). As such, third-party contractors would not be considered CII owners.

1. Is 'a public feedback' correct?

2. Is 'Among the feedback' correct?

3. Would it be better if –M1, StarHub, and Singtel– were enclosed in brackets with a comma next to the outer bracket, as shown: (–M1, StarHub, and Singtel–),? I think it makes for easy reading and looks tidier.

My apologies for asking three questions at one go.

Many thanks.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:55:06 AM

Neurons: 149,215
Hi Koh Elaine!

I don't think that "a public feedback" is correct.
"Feedback" is a collection of many opinions and responses to something. You don't have 'a feedback'.

The authorities could have responded to an opinion or a response (part of the feedback).

"Among the feedback" seems fine to me.

You have several choices for punctuation.
However, in the style I learned, the whole sentence would be changed (using semi-colons instead of commas because the 'items' of the list are not simple noun-phrases.

The choice between a pair of dashes and a pair of parentheses (brackets) is simply a choice - but I would not use both. As there is a break immediately after the parenthesis, the second dash would not be needed.

These included: law firms such as Allen & Gledhill, which said it submitted its feedback on behalf of nine financial institutions; all three local carriers – M1, StarHub, and Singtel; consulting firms such as PricewaterhouseCoopers Risk Services and KPMG; and tech vendors such as Amazon Web Services, FireEye, Microsoft, and Palo Alto Networks, reported the ZDNet site.

These included: law firms such as Allen & Gledhill, which said it submitted its feedback on behalf of nine financial institutions; all three local carriers (M1, StarHub, and Singtel); consulting firms such as PricewaterhouseCoopers Risk Services and KPMG; and tech vendors such as Amazon Web Services, FireEye, Microsoft, and Palo Alto Networks, reported the ZDNet site.

In my opinion, it would be simpler to move the last phrase to the beginning.

The ZDNet site reported that these included: law firms such as Allen & Gledhill, which said it submitted its feedback on behalf of nine financial institutions; all three local carriers (M1, StarHub, and Singtel); consulting firms such as PricewaterhouseCoopers Risk Services and KPMG; and tech vendors such as Amazon Web Services, FireEye, Microsoft, and Palo Alto Networks.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!