The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is the highlighted comma needed? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 11:50:41 AM

Neurons: 10,841
1. If you have a long quotation which you want to display indented in the middle of the page, you do not need to place quotes around it, though you should make sure that you identify it explicitly as a quotation in your main text. Here is an example cited from G. V. Carey's famous book on punctuation, Mind the Stop (Carey 1958)

2. If you do want to emphasize part of a quotation, you do so by placing that part in italics, but you must show that you are doing this. Here is a sentence cited from Steven Pinker's book The Language Instinct:

Many prescriptive rules of grammar are just plain dumb and should be deleted from the usage handbooks [emphasis added].

In #1, is the highlighted comma needed?

In #2, is a comma after book needed?

Thanks.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 12:01:30 PM

Neurons: 66,755
Yes, it is.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Koh Elaine
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 12:21:19 PM

Neurons: 10,841
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Yes, it is.

Thanks. And what is the reason, please?

Could you also answer Question 2, please?
Romany
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:12:15 PM

Neurons: 40,153

Well yes, it would normally be used because all title are either in inverted commas or italics. So the comma is necessary to seperate the rest from the title.

I have no idea where this advice came from, but it certainly is not accepted policy in any University I've been/am currently associated with. The title without the quotation marks would not be accepted and would technically count as plagiarism used in the manner suggested. Even with the provenance cited.

And as for the second point? Well, if you can find anything to confirm it, please let me know. Seriously. I have yet to come across this usage.