mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

as doing so Options
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:25:24 AM

Neurons: 308
Hi!
What does "as doing so" mean?
Nor does any single one of the examples that are listed as doing so on the website that you provided a link for.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 11:20:01 AM

Neurons: 43,957
taaraa wrote:
Hi!
What does "as doing so" mean?
Nor does any single one of the examples that are listed as doing so on the website that you provided a link for.

Apparently, there was some kind of action, or activity, that has been mentioned before. This sentence says that none of the examples listed on the website you provided perform that action (as doing so = perform that action).

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 11:32:34 AM

Why is "as..so" used?
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 11:45:36 AM

taaraa wrote:
Why is "as..so" used?

I'm not sure what is confusing you, but this is just a phrase that means "doing something as described", or "doing something like that".

If this is not clear, I would need more information on what is confusing you.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 12:38:05 PM

"as" means "like that" here, but I think "so" is redundant, no?
Romany
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 12:48:20 PM

Neurons: 40,026

As Foundit says "as doing so" refers to something that was written in a previous sentence. We don't know what it was because we haven't read it.

Your fundamental difficulty therefore, is in trying to relate it to THIS sentence.

A previous sentence must have spoken about doing something. "as" thus means "because" - not "like that". "doing so" refers to whatever it was that was in the previous sentence/s. So it means they didn't do something because all the information they were given was wrong.

ps: It is almost impossible to discuss a single sentence in isolation. Context is what determines the meaning.
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:15:07 PM

Thanks all for your help.
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:33:25 PM

Sorry, I ask again!
I founded the definition below on Cambridge's dictionary. The definition below is fit here?

to do so

to act in the way mentioned:

Parents must take responsibility for their children. Failure to do so could mean a fine or a jail sentence.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 4:51:05 PM

taaraa wrote:
Sorry, I ask again!
I founded the definition below on Cambridge's dictionary. The definition below is fit here?

to do so

to act in the way mentioned:

Parents must take responsibility for their children. Failure to do so could mean a fine or a jail sentence.

Yes, this helps. Read this as: "Parents must take responsibility for their children. Failure to do so (= failure to do this, or failure to take responsibility) could mean a fine or a jail sentence.

Don't worry about asking, but the more information you give us, the better we can help...Dancing

Tara2
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 1:22:16 AM

Thanks a lot, FounDit And also Romany.