The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

AI Options
cheekyme
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 7:09:56 AM

Neurons: 18,683
Do you think AI can ever exceed human intelligence, take advantage of it and pose a real threat to us? (So many stories around ...)

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin
FX2
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 7:47:19 AM

Neurons: 23,754
Pray I hope not.

Just imagining my toaster coming to me when I'm asleep...
cheekyme
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 7:58:05 AM

FX2 wrote:
Pray I hope not.

Just imagining my toaster coming to me when I'm asleep...

That could be actually a good thing -- longer lay in bed ... Applause

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin
towan52
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 8:39:44 AM

Neurons: 159,573
From the agricultural community, where "AI" indicates "Artificial Insemination", a whole new perspective gets opened up! Whistle

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:03:12 AM

Neurons: 54,423
I know how small I know, so below:

https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/mckinsey-analytics/our-insights/how-artificial-intelligence-can-deliver-real-value-to-companies

This may give you an opportunity to explore more, if you wish so.

By the way, the article to which a link I supplied ends with another link to download discussion paper. Something like 80 pages. But the language used is rather easy to understand.
cheekyme
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:04:59 AM

towan52 wrote:
From the agricultural community, where "AI" indicates "Artificial Insemination", a whole new perspective gets opened up! Whistle

Vets might be in greater demand in future than software guys, then.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 1:07:37 AM

Neurons: 151,056
I just watched "Ex Machina" - a film about AI.

Quite good, and I liked the "twist in the tale" at the end.

My opinion and belief (philosophy, not science) is that a computer could be built (maybe not quite yet, but soon) which is as complex as the human brain and had the experience/learning ability to pass a Turing test fully.

However, self-awareness is not purely a matter of brain.
There are, in hospitals around the world, fully-functioning bodies with 'nobody home' - the brain is not damaged and is not physically disconnected from the nervous system.

Science could not produce a human mind, as such. However, a real AI is a good possibility.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
will
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 12:20:22 PM

Neurons: 4,272
I believe some computer programmes have already passed the Turing Test. How meaningful the Turing test is as a yardstick is open to debate, but it’s clear that computers are already on a par with human ‘intelligence’.

However this is a long way from the idea that computer may become a threat – without human error or design. If a computer is ever designed with opposable thumbs and the ability to plug itself back into a power outlet, then I’ll start worrying.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 4:10:23 PM

Neurons: 42,042
will wrote:
I believe some computer programmes have already passed the Turing Test. How meaningful the Turing test is as a yardstick is open to debate, but it’s clear that computers are already on a par with human ‘intelligence’.

However this is a long way from the idea that computer may become a threat – without human error or design. If a computer is ever designed with opposable thumbs and the ability to plug itself back into a power outlet, then I’ll start worrying.

Applause Applause Applause

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 4:22:38 PM

Neurons: 4,618
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I just watched "Ex Machina" - a film about AI.

Quite good, and I liked the "twist in the tale" at the end.

My opinion and belief (philosophy, not science) is that a computer could be built (maybe not quite yet, but soon) which is as complex as the human brain and had the experience/learning ability to pass a Turing test fully.

However, self-awareness is not purely a matter of brain.
There are, in hospitals around the world, fully-functioning bodies with 'nobody home' - the brain is not damaged and is not physically disconnected from the nervous system.

Science could not produce a human mind, as such. However, a real AI is a good possibility.

And Automata

Kampong
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 12:22:25 PM

Neurons: 2,423
AI is just a complex computer programme... Of course one should fear it.

A computer programme with a bug - or a rogue robot what's the difference.
As for the jobs:
Luddites fear for employment, and eventually they will be right just as Malthus will evenually be right (because of inabilty to improve on yield over a certain level)
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2017 10:00:33 AM

Neurons: 67,018
Yes, it will, soon. May not pose a great threat but minor cannot be ruled out. Increasing population and joblessness can create chaos and anarchy. AI does billions and trillions of calculations in a jiffy while for doing the same calculations human brain may take many years. A small programme/iS mobile app Siri is an astounding example of AI.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj