The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Any Austen enthusiasts here? Options
cheekyme
Posted: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 3:36:48 PM

Neurons: 96,497
On the new tenner, there’s a quotation about reading: I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading.

But these are not her words, but the words of a person apparently not so much into books. I like the quote and the whole idea of promoting reading and don’t care much who conveyed the message. But I am just very curious how do you feel about it? The quote suggests Austen was behind the phrase, and yes, she is – she wrote it. But what worries me, is the fact that it is how it will be remembered. That it will be attributed to her saying so. Well, she did, in a way -- she wrote the book and perhaps intended to express her thoughts in some way.

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin
shass
Posted: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 4:51:46 PM

Neurons: 576
Yes, the character was Caroline Bingley who was just trying to impress Darcy. She had no interest in reading. A good enough quote though for the public because as you quite rightly state, Austen wrote the words so the message is there whichever way it was intended.
martadell
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:07:38 AM

Neurons: 3
nice discussion! i like your style!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:34:49 AM

Neurons: 172,120
Hello martadell.
Welcome to the site.

It is a discussion site, not one for you to advertise commercial essay-writing services.
You will probably find that the link (or your whole post) will be deleted by one of the admins.

However, should you wish to discuss any topic, I'm sure it would be welcome!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 5:51:11 AM

Neurons: 44,068

I'm not particularly an Austen fan; but living in England (especially in Brighton) I've come to realise how HUGE her fan-base is in UK and USA. And how many thousands of people are "experts" on her and all her works.

So I think the general facts about her are pretty well known. Amongst them the fact that reading novels was considered frivolous and was frowned upon as a pursuit for a young lady: and how, throughout her works, she explored this idea with quiet amusement.

I think, in regards to our money: by far the majority of people have no idea who is on it or, even if they do know, don't give a damn.

As for those who do have a passing interest, and who are familiar with Austen, that particular quote encapsulates the revolution in reading habits which she brought about. And for real Austen experts, the fact that this line was uttered by Caroline is a delicious kind of in-joke.

(But then again my work over the last few years is all about the Georgian/Regency period; so I'm utterly surrounded by the cult of Austen)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 4:15:06 PM

Neurons: 172,120
Hello cheekyme! (and Hi Romany!)

I'm afraid that I was so annoyed by Martadell's attempt to use your discussion to sell services that I forgot to answer your question.
(Thank you to the Admins for removing the link!)

My personal opinion is that quotations should be in the form:
"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading." - Caroline Bingley in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

It's true that, often, the author's ideas are expressed by their characters - but it's not always true!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
almo 1
Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 9:32:09 PM

Neurons: 5,715

I read Pride and Prejudice(by Jane Austen) a few pages.

Now I am planning to read
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Romany
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:19:16 AM

Neurons: 44,068

Oh yes, Drago I fully agree normally - it's the reason I never use the "Quote of the Day" here on TFD segment any more. Every thought/action portrayed by a fictional character who exists only in fantasy, is routinely ascribed to the author themselves. This gives an entirely false perception of the real, living person - the author.

But my thoughts above refer solely and explicitly to this particular quote by this particular writer in this particular situation.
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:55:25 AM

Neurons: 5,715

It's like cliches or adages.

"You can't satisfy everyone, so you might as well satisfy yourself."

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postsm953240_Clich%c3%a9s--Powerful-Truths.aspx#953240