Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 8:59:45 AM

Neurons: 22,320
Portfolio and Folder

is there a difference in meaning ?

thar
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 10:15:12 AM

Neurons: 63,686
Yes, to me there are several.

A folder is a basic name for a functional object -something of plastic or paper that you put papers into.
It is the container. In practice, it also describes the contents, but that is just by default.

A portfolio is a much more refined word (no coincidence it is French rather than Anglo-SaxonWhistle )

It depends on the context, but I would expect a portfolio to be (a) the contents and (b) some sort of complete work or organised presentation.

Of course, a piece of stationery could possibly be called a portfolio, and it sounds as if that is your experience, if you are asking this question. But that sounds very pretentious to me. That is a plastic folder, in your image. Not a portfolio.

An artist showing their work has a portfolio. They have a portfolio case to carry it around in!
A student gathering evidence to show they have met certain criteria, such as evidence of your teaching, has a portfolio. Kept in a lever arch file.

So, I guess in practice if you want to distinguish between something to pop papers into and something to display your beautiful creative masterpieces with, you would call your product a portfolio. But outside of the stationery trade you might get a few odd looks if you called it a portfolio. Certainly your image does not meet the required elevated status. Whistle
Romany
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 12:46:19 PM

Neurons: 40,153

I would agree with Thar. A "Portfolio" contains your work, your reviews, your articles,your photographs, - all proofs of what you do if you are in any of the creative fields: actors, writers, sculptures - even models & academics.

A folder is either (usually) buff-coloured cardboard; or more rigid. But it's still just a place to shove things into.