The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is "the same one" correct? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 8:08:51 PM

Neurons: 10,841
SMRT (Singapore Mass Rapid Transit) routinely warns commuters about train faults via its social media platforms. But the rail operator did not announce Tuesday morning's fault on the East-West Line on Facebook or Twitter.

The East-West Line’s existing signalling system is set to be replaced by the same one currently being tested on the North-South Line. Tests on the East-West Line’s new system are expected to be completed by the end of next year.

Is "the same one" correct? In my opinion, it should be replaced by "an identical one". Am I correct?

Thanks.
palapaguy
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:03:47 PM

Neurons: 7,233
Koh Elaine wrote:
SMRT (Singapore Mass Rapid Transit) routinely warns commuters about train faults via its social media platforms. But the rail operator did not announce Tuesday morning's fault on the East-West Line on Facebook or Twitter.

The East-West Line’s existing signalling system is set to be replaced by the same one currently being tested on the North-South Line. Tests on the East-West Line’s new system are expected to be completed by the end of next year.

Is "the same one" correct? In my opinion, it should be replaced by "an identical one". Am I correct?

Thanks.

Yes. What apparently was meant was by a similar one or by the same type (not necessarily identical).
rroselavy
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 12:47:34 AM

Neurons: 10,969
I would just say "by the one currently being tested"; no need for "same." I also think "faults" should be "problems" (twice in the preceding paragraph).
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 5:16:30 AM

Neurons: 40,153

They want to use the same system as the one they are trialing elsewhere. The same one.

There's nothing particularly wrong with using the phrase - it just sounds a little unsophisticated.

Koh - whatever newspaper or news outlet you look at will have errors. But if you are going to compare Singaporean English to Standard English there are aspects which will inevitably sound uncommon to AE and BE speakers, just as there are in comparing any English dialect with another.
srirr
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 5:34:30 AM

Neurons: 156,946
I think the use of "the same one" is not wrong. It does not mean that the same tools/ equipment will be detached from one place and re-installed at another place. It clearly means the similar system.

Like, in a shopping mall, my friend and I are loafing.
Friend: Look at that man in red shirt. I have the same shirt.

Obviously, my friend does not have the "same" shirt. What he means is similar shirt in same colour, same print by the same brand.

Any place has many newspapers or news agencies (both in English and in vernacular languages for non-English speaking zones). Two different newspapers may have different types of readership and different levels of language used. One paper may have a very simplified version of the language (for common readers). It may not be wrong, but may be not so profound.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 5:51:44 AM

Neurons: 66,755
Koh wrote:

The East-West Line’s existing signalling system is set to be replaced by the same one as currently being tested on the North-South Line. Tests on the East-West Line’s new system are expected to be completed by the end of next year.

Do we need 'as' after same one.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj