The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Check Your Favorite Media's Bias Options
Hope123
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 3:19:19 PM

Neurons: 44,241
Check Your Favorite Media's Bias

I have started getting my news from Reuters in order to get world news that is not overrun with US news unless it is significant and to stop hearing about how Trump says all mainstream sources report only fake news. I have yet to have anyone give me a specific example of how the mainstream media reported an untrue fact and did not correct it.

As I checked out the factual content and reliability of Reuters, I stumbled on the above website. This is the About page and you can click on the headings to get the list of news sources according to their bias. You can even click on the bias you want and get the day's news from that source!

It has classified many news sources according to their use of emotional words used to sway readers to their point of view as they report the facts. Apparently Reuters is on the list for being one of the least biased.

It was astounding to me how many news sources there actually are and it looks to me as if there as just as many on each side of the centre. I am pointing this out because right from my first day on this Forum I was told by The Right that the media is all biased left. Not so according to these lists.

Also, be careful as you read the lists - for instance cnn dot com dot de is NOT CNN. It is using a similar name to confuse people and there are other sites that are doing the same with other reputable news sources.

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable, who believes there is no virtue but on his own side. Addison
tunaafi
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 3:33:22 PM

Neurons: 53,503
Interesting site. Thanks for that, Hope.
taurine
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 4:10:52 PM

Neurons: 67,785
The President Trump is significant.
What he says is sometimes close to the opinion issued by business leaders not only on CNN, but also on CNBC, SKY News TV, Bloomberg TV.
The problem might be seen in the different approach to the means of expression. Sometimes emotional words may blur the clarity of the message.

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017
Hope123
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 5:12:53 PM

Taurine, President Trump is not on the list because he is not a media news source. He uses the media but is not a source himself.

As you say he may be right at times, but he wants to do what he wants with no criticsm, constructive or otherwise, and lashes out at pretty much everybody and every leader who opposes him or his policies.

I only mentioned him in my introduction, because I am sick and tired of his attacks on the media whose job it is to hold him and his administration accountable. That is why I searched for less biased sources, and less US news with more world news.

Yes, to your last statement!

The site on the link is set up by examining how many and how often those emotional words that blur the clarity of the facts are used and to which bias they point.

Hope it is useful to Freedelphians who are interested in news, Tuna.

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable, who believes there is no virtue but on his own side. Addison
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 6:53:22 AM

Neurons: 374,756
Hope,
we are not delphins, we are freed elves, freedelfians ;-)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:51:18 PM

Ah so. F instead of ph.