The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

furtive persecution Options
vkhu
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:15:33 PM

Neurons: 4,907
Quote:
The females were less numerous than the males, and liable to much furtive persecution in spite of the monogamy the Law enjoined.

-The Island of Doctor Moreau

Here the narrator is talking about a bunch of Man Beasts.

I'm not sure I understood the "furtive persecution" part correctly. My understanding is that the females often get secretly abused. But that makes no sense. There are fewer females than males, and they practice monogamy. Wouldn't that mean the females are a scare resource and should be valued?
thar
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:23:56 PM

Neurons: 64,245
One could only wish!
But mankind in general is not so benign.
When women are scarce, they are vulnerable, as men are prepared to be more predatory and abusive to obtain them.

And the monogomy is what the law requires - not necessarily what happens!

He was prescient. Look at China. Their one-child policy meant more female babies were aborted, and skewed the population to have too many makes. So now females become a rarer resource, and are stolen, poached, abducted and traded like rate endangered animals on the black market!
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:45:45 PM

Neurons: 40,721

Thar - That was an aspect of being in China as a female that was hugely difficult. We'd get news that never got to the world press - of hundreds of tiny female bubbas washing up out of rivers into villages - from the *hospitals*; of the baby girls sanitary workers are forever finding in rubbish bins, of a father draggin his daughter into the men's lavatories (which are hell-holes anyway) and forcing piled faeces into her mouth telling her "That's what you are. Pure shit." etc.

BUT... humans being human, girls quickly learn, as teenagers, that a certain percentage of the boys they know and meet will never get married, as there aren't enough wives to go round ... and they play it to the hilt!!

Chinese boys even have to carry the handbags of these rare and delicate creatures - it was a common sight to see a Chinese guy walking behind two girls with linked arms (the g.f. and her b.f.) who giggled and made duck-lips at each other, while he trotted along carried a pastel pink Mickey Mouse satchel AND a pale blue "Frozen" handbag - and all the shopping!
zina antoaneta
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 11:59:25 PM

Neurons: 81,007
vkhu wrote:
Quote:
The females were less numerous than the males, and liable to much furtive persecution in spite of the monogamy the Law enjoined.

-The Island of Doctor Moreau

Here the narrator is talking about a bunch of Man Beasts.

I'm not sure I understood the "furtive persecution" part correctly. My understanding is that the females often get secretly abused. But that makes no sense. There are fewer females than males, and they practice monogamy. Wouldn't that mean the females are a scare resource and should be valued?

I like the "FURTIVE PERSECUTION" term as it encompasses so well the covert persecution of the targeted individuals (mostly women as well) in our times.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 2:54:19 PM

Neurons: 40,721
Indeed - even when it was not against the law there is the kind of slimy individual who, though a sleazeball, doesn't want people to know they are a sleazeball.

And they're the people who transgress "furtively". The sly dig, the "accidental" touching, the "mistake" in your change...and the injured innocence when accused. This kind of person is well-recognised in every country, on every social level.

So the skill of the writer was in choosing exactly the perfect adjective;each person who reads it instantly understands from their own experience, the kinds of behaviours referred to. The "hidden" nastiness and unfairness and beastliness - whatever form those take.

If there are women, outnumbered by men, the "furtive persecution" they are subject to does't need to be explained.

(It has just occurred to me: - are you, perhaps, unaware that the use of "liable to" doesn't mean "liable to to do it". It means "liable to suffer from". ? It isn't the women practising furtive persecutions, it was the men. Remember - the English in this book is an older form of English.

There would be a fair number of native speakers who would probably interpret it as you have. They'd be as unfamiliar with those older usages as a non=native speaker: because no-one speaks the way we did 100 years ago!)
vkhu
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 11:17:47 AM

Neurons: 4,907
Romany wrote:
(It has just occurred to me: - are you, perhaps, unaware that the use of "liable to" doesn't mean "liable to to do it". It means "liable to suffer from". ? It isn't the women practising furtive persecutions, it was the men. Remember - the English in this book is an older form of English.

There would be a fair number of native speakers who would probably interpret it as you have. They'd be as unfamiliar with those older usages as a non=native speaker: because no-one speaks the way we did 100 years ago!)

Nah, I got that part well. It's just the logic behind the males' treatment of the females that I couldn't quite follow.