The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What we lost today Options
philips daughter
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 7:41:56 PM

Neurons: 19,538
The US lost all environmental protection today with a speech by EPA Chief Scott Pruitt. All the coal regulations agreed to at the Paris conference have been lifted. Boo hoo!
tunaafi
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 8:07:43 PM

Neurons: 53,273
Good news! A lot of rich people are going to become even richer. Great!

The fact that their grandchildren may not have a world to live on is their problem. We'll all be dead by then anyway, so what's the problem?
philips daughter
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 8:47:57 PM

Well, the problem is I have grandchildren, too. I am in mourning for the butterfly sanctuary trump had bulldozed down on the border and blue skies and water and not even a word of condolences from anyone. And you wonder why this forum doesn’t have any discussions. I was hoping for an American citizen to commencerate with but, I mourn that too.
rroselavy
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 11:08:54 PM

Neurons: 9,983
I'm sure tunaafi is commiserating with you, but with sarcasm to highlight the outrageousness. The good news is that many states (governors and also mayors of cities) have vowed to adhere to the Paris accords, so there is some hope after all. It just won't come from Washington.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 11:31:57 PM

Neurons: 40,256
Don't give up PD. It pisses me off too that all the good done in eight years is being overturned in a few short months, and not just in the concerns of the environment.

As rroselavy says, states and cities have vowed to go ahead with pro-climate measures. As for coal - "that dog don't hunt no more". Green energy is more profitable and there are far more jobs in that than in coal. Market forces will force them to see reality in spite of the rhetoric by anyone, including snake oil salesmen.

A proposal for an oil pipeline in Canada was just shut down - they saw the wriiting on the wall for fossil fuels. The tide is turning in spite of the opponents who want to go back to the good old days thst were never that good.

Edited - yes, Tuna was being sarcastic.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
tunaafi
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 4:40:46 AM

rroselavy wrote:
I'm sure tunaafi is commiserating with you

I am indeed.
philips daughter
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:30:15 AM

Thank you all for being kind when I was so upset, because I am. Unlike the joy Parser gets from the debacle that is trump’s presidency, I am despondent. I will try to contain my rage and take a break from all the news. Tuna I am sorry. You are one of my favorite “friends.”
tunaafi
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:42:42 AM

philips daughter wrote:
Tuna I am sorry.

No problem. I sometimes forget that my occasional sarcastic remarks cam be misunderstood.
tunaafi
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:47:14 AM

philips daughter wrote:
I will try to contain my rage and take a break from all the news

Please don't. Nothing would serve the interests of Trump and the vested interests that support him than for people not to expose, and express anger at, the world-threatening words and actions of the current President of the USA..
Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:54:48 AM

Neurons: 376,577
tunaafi wrote:
philips daughter wrote:
I will try to contain my rage and take a break from all the news

Please don't. Nothing would serve the interests of Trump and the vested interests that support him than for people not to expose, and express anger at, the world-threatening words and actions of the current President of the USA..

I agree with Tunaafi that it is important to remain aware of what is happening and to respond when necessary. At the same time, I think it is important to maintain one's mental health as Trump-related news has a way of sparking relentless waves of outrage and frustration.

If possible, I would suggest remaining aware of the news and channeling any rage and frustration in a productive manner, such as discussing events on here. That way you (hopefully) won't get overwhelmed and can find some like-minded views that can comfort you in the face of a seemingly very bleak outlook. Or non-like-minded views that still spark interesting discussion.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 9:24:04 AM

Neurons: 40,256
PD, the following is a quote from the Toronto Star editorial this morning about that cancellation of the pipeline that may help your outlook, because Trump et al are not the only factor. It may take a little longer with this hiccup, but Consumers always have the last word.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2017/10/09/lessons-of-energy-easts-demise-editorial.html

"Trudeau Liberals did not kill this project; an evolving world did...Many of the proponents of Energy East are ready to blame regional conflicts, over-regulation and environmental extremism for its collapse. But more than anything the project was killed by markets adjusting to a changing world. Looking backwards can’t be the basis for Canada’s energy future."

::::

Good advice for all of us who can see what is happening with the WH, Tuna and Lotje.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:37:59 AM

Neurons: 720,550
philips daughter wrote:
Thank you all for being kind when I was so upset, because I am. Unlike the joy Parser gets from the debacle that is trump’s presidency, I am despondent. I will try to contain my rage and take a break from all the news. Tuna I am sorry. You are one of my favorite “friends.”

It happens--so easy to mis-read news or miss a friend's sarcasm on the internet. People have suggested a "sarcasm font" which is fixed width--it works great on the SBNation sports site conglomerate. And sometimes snark seems like the only way to deal with it.

And it's tough to deal with all the craziness in general.

We can only hope Scott Pruitt's abuse of taxpayer dollars with private flights costs him his job as it did for Tom Price.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 3:24:50 PM

Neurons: 39,097

Guys - I did explain once that the textual notation "/s" has now been adopted by Social media platforms to denote sarcasm; and works ok (some people bracket it, some don't) I've thrown it in here a couple of times.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 3:53:11 PM

Neurons: 39,097
PD -

It's not that nobody cares - it's that we are all overwhelmed by the terrible things he does daily to Make America Hate Again - with these sneaky moves. Did you see Kelly Ann Conway actually boasting that his pledge to get rid of one Obama edict for each one Trump signs has been exceeded to a stunning 17 (yep, Seventeen) repeals of Obama regulations for each of the insane things he sign off on? Boasting - because: -

America, already the largest polluter in the West, is now going to poison not just it's own population, but the world.

Women in countries where life was starting to hold up hope have now been sentenced to a deadly cycle of giving birth, hunger, infant death, giving birth again, hunger, infant death again

Women in a First Word Country have had autonomy over their own bodies taken over by old, white men in the White House

Transgender people are demonised

Mexican people are rapists and so must be punished by stringent economic restrictions

White supremacy is sanctioned, and its adherents declared Fine folk. Good folk. Patriotic folk.

And while his insane tweets keep the news rooms busy; he is turning the country back 50 years every day by stopping school lunches; retracting money from Education and spending it on weapons; sanctioning a return to Apartheid *THROUGH* institutions of supposedly "Higher" learning ...and on, and on, and on.

Of course you're angry. Everyone with a grip on reality is angry.

So don't think us callous - we're with you all the way. But every once in a while a person hits absolute and total numbness; which is where you probably caught some of us when you first posted.

Keep the faith, girl. Each in our own way is continuing to resist. Even us foreigners. The world he is destroying belongs to us and our children too.
philips daughter
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 1:21:58 PM

The struggle continues.