The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

World Cup football/soccer Qualifiers Options
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 6:42:42 PM

Neurons: 720,550
I'm not sure of the best place to put this...but I hope people find this entertaining. There've been some big qualifiers already, and there will be others to come.

I've always been a fan of the World Cup. Ever since 1990 when I was at summer camp and we tracked the radio reports on a piece of paper, it's been fun to follow. Even though my memory of the US's first game was hearing we were down 4-1 to tiny Czechoslovakia and thinking, that's bad, it can't end like this, and then I heard Czechoslovakia scored an injury-time goal so, yeah, it didn't.

It's extra cool that a lot of these games have been saved on video. For instance, the US-Czechoslovakia game's highlights are here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTnBiQILfXk

I especially like looking at what new teams there might be.

S. America (CONMEBOL): Peru has a chance to advance for the first time in a while. They may cost Colombia or Argentina(!) a spot, though. Teams 3-6 are separated by 2 points. #5 has a playoff vs. New Zealand, which they should win. New Zealand beat Bahrain in 2010, denying a new team a trip (NZ got there in '82), but they did much better than expected at the World Cup.

Asia (AFC): Syria has a chance if they win in Australia or get a 2-2 draw or higher. If Panama winds up in 4th in CONCACAF, then we are guaranteed a new team in the World Cup.

N. America (CONCACAF): if Panama is in 3rd in the hexagonal round-robin, they go. If they hold onto 4th, they have a playoff against Syria or Australia.

Africa (CAF): Most teams have 2 games left in the double round robin 4-team groups.

Burkina Faso and Cape Verde had the top 2 spots in 1 group after 4 games. But South Africa and Senegal had a match replayed due to suspicions about the ref, and if Senegal wins the rematch in November, this may help them vault over the two potential newcomers. This is a weird group, because Senegal and South Africa will play those two games in a row, after Burkina Faso and Cape Verde meet in the final game.

Zambia has a chance if they win at Nigeria. Not very likely, as Nigeria has better goal difference, but Zambia's always been pretty good, and lots of football/soccer fans know about the tragedy with their 1994 team.

Uganda might be able to overtake Egypt, but they'd need to win out and have Ghana win at home to Egypt, which is reasonably possible.

Gabon needs to win out and hope Ivory Coast does not win at home vs. Morocco, which is also reasonably possible.

Europe (UEFA): Iceland had a HUGE win in Turkey today. I thought they really blew it losing at Finland, who are near the bottom of the group, but then Finland got a draw at Croatia, Iceland's main contender for a top spot in their group. So Iceland just needs to beat Kosovo, newcomers to UEFA, to be newcomers to the World Cup.

Cyprus is mathematically still alive for a playoff spot (2nd place teams) but crazy stuff would have to happen.

Anyway, hope this isn't too rambling and people find it useful or interesting!

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
thar
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 7:44:36 PM

Neurons: 62,972
It will be pretty cool if Iceland qualify. To put it into some perspective, the city where the match was played is Eskişehir, which I guess few people from outside the region have heard of. It is the eleventh largest city in Turkey. And its population is twice that of Iceland. But given the results in the Euros, people believe it can happen.

But in Iceland people had more important things to worry about with floods. Nobody dead but lots of sheep lost, and lots rescued by search and rescue boats. The road washed away, which happens pretty regularly.
Tourists helicoptered out or stranded and staying with locals. But bad for business. No road, no tourists, no money.

Quote:
The temporary bridge over Steinavötn river will be opened for all traffic at noon today, the Icelandic Road Administration reports. The original bridge had been damaged by extensive flooding last week due to heavy rain in late September. Workers have worked day and night so that travellers may cross the bridge. Ring Road One, the main highway in Iceland, has been closed for car traffic between Jökulsár glacial lagoon and the town of Höfn. It was impossible to bypass the closure except by driving all the way around Iceland on Ring Road One.

The bridge is a single lane one and travellers have been asked to proceed with caution while crossing it. It is 104 metres long and the base is wooden poles that steel beams rest upon. A wooden flooring is then placed on top of the base according to the Icelandic Road Administration.

Heck, if you can build that in a flood, you can blinking well beat Kosovo! Whistle

And you've got to root for the Syrian team. Apparently before the war it was a refuge of multi-religious tolerance in a region where everybody is so quick to hate. The 'non-establishment' players have fled now, but the team limps on.
It would be nice to see some new African teams come through. The Nigerias, Cameroons and CIVs have had their chances and got bogged down in graft and power squabbles. Time for fresh adventurers.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 5:19:07 PM

Neurons: 282,696
When the Hell freezes up, we Finns will win the World Cup.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 8:17:58 PM

Neurons: 720,550
thar wrote:
It will be pretty cool if Iceland qualify. To put it into some perspective, the city where the match was played is Eskişehir, which I guess few people from outside the region have heard of. It is the eleventh largest city in Turkey. And its population is twice that of Iceland. But given the results in the Euros, people believe it can happen.

But in Iceland people had more important things to worry about with floods. Nobody dead but lots of sheep lost, and lots rescued by search and rescue boats. The road washed away, which happens pretty regularly.
Tourists helicoptered out or stranded and staying with locals. But bad for business. No road, no tourists, no money.

Quote:
The temporary bridge over Steinavötn river will be opened for all traffic at noon today, the Icelandic Road Administration reports. The original bridge had been damaged by extensive flooding last week due to heavy rain in late September. Workers have worked day and night so that travellers may cross the bridge. Ring Road One, the main highway in Iceland, has been closed for car traffic between Jökulsár glacial lagoon and the town of Höfn. It was impossible to bypass the closure except by driving all the way around Iceland on Ring Road One.

The bridge is a single lane one and travellers have been asked to proceed with caution while crossing it. It is 104 metres long and the base is wooden poles that steel beams rest upon. A wooden flooring is then placed on top of the base according to the Icelandic Road Administration.

Heck, if you can build that in a flood, you can blinking well beat Kosovo! Whistle

And you've got to root for the Syrian team. Apparently before the war it was a refuge of multi-religious tolerance in a region where everybody is so quick to hate. The 'non-establishment' players have fled now, but the team limps on.

It would be nice to see some new African teams come through. The Nigerias, Cameroons and CIVs have had their chances and got bogged down in graft and power squabbles. Time for fresh adventurers.

I keep forgetting that Iceland's population is what it is. I always assume it's 1-2 million. The floods sound horrible, and I imagine Iceland is not super rich in resources, but it's awesome that people are able to work around it.

I've heard very nice things about the Syrian people. Apparently Libyans were also very kind and welcoming despite Gaddafi. I know Yasser Seirawan, a chess grandmaster whose teaching videos are just a lot of fun to watch, is from Syria.

The African favorites are winning again. I think Cote d'Ivoire had some really unlucky pairings in the WC. Burkina Faso and Cape Verde both losing extinguishes my hopes to see someone in that group advance. Burkina Faso would need to win, and Senegal would need a loss and draw, and then there'd still be goal difference.

Jyrkkä Jätkä -- well, you all have hockey! I'm surprised Finland hasn't done better in WC qualifiers, myself. Perhaps the team I'm most surprised never qualified, though, is Venezuela. It looks like they have a really good U20 side, so maybe in the future, but you'd think somewhere along the way they'd have placed in the top half of CONMEBOL.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
thar
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 12:56:58 PM

Neurons: 62,972
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
When the Hell freezes up, we Finns will win the World Cup.

Yeah, but the point is to have fun trying.

The guys who win the big championships - Germany, Spain, France, even Brazil - don't seem to actually enjoy the process in too many cases. It's just a game. It is supposed to be fun! Whistle

On the other hand, the day Iceland wins a ski-jump competition, hell will open a Disneyland franchise Whistle

(The only ski-jump in Iceland....

On the plus side, when the snow melts it makes a lovely long slide! Applause

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 1:53:54 PM

Neurons: 282,696
Finland, however, ended up fourth in football games in Summer Olympics 1912 in Stockholm ;-)
Beat Italia and Russia, and lost to Netherlands in bronze game.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.