The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Should the bold preposition be in upper case? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 3:58:47 AM

Neurons: 12,060
Benefits Bestowed By XYZ Religion on My Son and Me

Should the bold preposition be in upper case?

Thanks.
nebra
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 5:37:16 AM

Neurons: 12,289
No, prepositions are always lowercase in English titles: "by."

My replies to grammar questions are based on American English (AE), of which I'm a native speaker.
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 6:00:10 AM

Neurons: 1,536
Really? I think I've seen them capitalised pretty often, at least in names of songs -
"As Tears Go By" (Rolling Stones), "Baby By Me" (50 Cent), "Lady In Black" (Rolling Stones? I believe so),...

But maybe all those are mistakes that have somehow become acceptable in the music industry.
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 6:09:15 AM

Neurons: 1,536
On the other hand, "and" and "or" do seem to be normally left in the lowercase, like in "Me, Myself and I", "Love It or Leave It" ...
Donthailand
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 6:30:55 AM

Neurons: 464,372
I agree with Kirill.
Romany
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 6:40:16 AM

Neurons: 41,469

Yes, it's just a matter of choice. If you *want* to have each word in the title capitalised because it seems more "orderly", then go ahead. If you *want* only to capitalise the important words in the title then do it that way.

As Kirill has demonstrated, you'll find both ways of doing it in song titles. And if you are in a bookshop you'll notice the same thing with book titles.
srirr
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 7:04:25 AM

Neurons: 176,970
As Romany said, it is basically the matter of choice. Different style guides have different versions of putting the title. While most of the guides suggest to have the important words start with an uppercase letter and prepositions, articles etc. to be in lowercase, there is one common recommendation by all the style guides, and that is consistency.

In the Koh's question, the title is "Benefits Bestowed By XYZ Religion on My Son and Me". Since "on" and "and" are in lowercase, "by" must be in lowercase.

As per style, "Benefits Bestowed By XYZ Religion On My Son And Me" and "Benefits Bestowed by XYZ Religion on My Son and Me" and "Benefits bestowed by XYZ religion on my son and me" and "BENEFITS BESTOWED BY XYZ RELIGION ON MY SON AND ME" -- all are correct, but "Benefits Bestowed By XYZ Religion on My Son and Me" is not.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Koh Elaine
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 10:08:48 AM

Neurons: 12,060
Thanks, everybody.
NKM
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 11:50:15 AM

Neurons: 199,317
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Really? I think I've seen them capitalised pretty often, at least in names of songs -
"As Tears Go By" (Rolling Stones), "Baby By Me" (50 Cent), "Lady In Black" (Rolling Stones? I believe so),...

But maybe all those are mistakes that have somehow become acceptable in the music industry.

══════════════════════════════════════════════

By convention, the articles ("a", "an", "the"), common conjunctions ("and", "or") and short prepositions ("at", "in", "by", "to", "for", "from") are not capitalized in titles. Advertisers (including those who design album jackets and record labels) often flout the conventions in order to draw as much attention as possible to their products.

In titles like "As Tears Go By" and "As Time Goes By", the word "by" serves not as a preposition but rather as an adverb, forming part of the verb "go by" (meaning to "pass" or "elapse"). Other prepositions similarly act as adverbs in phrases such as "come to" (meaning to regain consciousness) and "go on" (meaning to continue).

Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 12:27:43 PM

Neurons: 220,678
What NKM says is correct and has been for many years. I would add that the reason "by" is capitalized in "As Time Goes By" is because the first and last words of titles are also capitalized by default.
Allana
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 2:14:46 PM

Neurons: 621,360
Fascinating

Don't be afraid to be wrong. You learn more. (Me)