Hi. I have video here: Fox's bark
What is fox's bark called?
Thanks.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 8:29:00 AM

Neurons: 283,665
From TFD:

The fox's vocal repertoire is vast:

- Whine - Made shortly after birth. Occurs at a high rate when kits are hungry and when their body temperatures are low. Whining stimulates the mother to care for her young; it also has been known to stimulate the male fox into caring for his mate and kits.
- Yelp - Made about 19 days later. The kits' whining turns into infantile barks, yelps, which occur heavily during play.
- Explosive call - At the age of about one month, the kits can emit an explosive call which is intended to be threatening to intruders or other cubs; a high pitch howl.
- Combative call - In adults, the explosive call becomes an open-mouthed combative call during any conflict; a sharper bark.
- Growl - An adult fox's indication to their kits to feed or head to the adult's location.
- Bark - Adult foxes warn against intruders and in defense by barking.

So, fox's bark is, in general, called fox's bark ;-)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
mcurrent
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 8:54:20 AM

Neurons: 2,721
We in Russia have another word for bark. When we want to express some contempt to dog/wolf we use another word (тявкать) other than bark. Do you have such word in England?
whatson
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 9:08:38 AM

Neurons: 2,132
I'm not an outdoorsman nor a barker, I have to rely on my Rus.-Eng.
dictionary that translates тявкать as yelp, yap.
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 9:13:42 AM

Neurons: 1,448
In Russian it is often used in a derogatory sense, like one might rudely say "don't bark" (and here тявкать is used) to another person, basically meaning "shut up"/"who are you to tell me this". I guess mcurrent's question is whether in English the verb to bark would be used in a setting like that, or is there another verb?
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 9:27:26 AM

Neurons: 47,005
Thanks to Jyrkkä Jätkä I think that the fox in question in the video emits explosive calls.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 10:44:16 AM

Neurons: 39,161

The word from the above list that we use is "whine" i.e. "Don't whine about it. Do it!" so it's used for a different behaviour.

We do say however, that an authoritarian 'barks out' orders at people. But it's not a particularly common usage otherwise, whereas 'whining' is.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 11:59:38 AM

Neurons: 146,885
That was my first thought - a whine is the only 'dog-like' sound which you usually associate with people.
It is a whinge, a self-pitying complaint about life.

"Oh, why does life treat me so badly? It's always the same - everyone else gets better luck than I do. Life is really unfair to me . . . whine, whine, whine."

Telling someone to 'stop whining' is not the same as Kirill's "тявкать", but it is contemptuous to say "Stop whining!"

"Bark" is used occasionally, but it is more related to the specific incident and order.
A person can 'whine' generally - "He's always whining" - whereas "bark" would be more "He barked out the order".

From experience, I can say that sometimes it is difficult to recognise the difference between a fox-kit calling for its mother and a human baby in pain.
It has been known for the police to receive reports of someone mistreating a baby . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 12:05:53 PM

Neurons: 47,005
I like "Don't whine about it". I hope that 'Just do it' is correct in this context because it resembles the Nike attitude. Of course, if the Nike attitude is possible to conceive.