The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Stomach ulcer Options
F.D.S.O.
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 8:35:04 PM

Neurons: 188
just wondering if anyone has ever had a stomach ulcer or has and information about it. I know the symptoms and things like that but what are the treatment options? thanks.

"It's not about how much you make, it's about how much you spend." -papaw-
kitten
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 8:57:48 PM

Neurons: 7,420
I have had stomach ulcers for years. They are under control but do flair when I take aspirin and then it is uncomfortable. I tried to find the article that came out well over ten years ago that said it may also be caused by a virus.Think

Here is what TFD has to say about it.

Stomach ulcer

peace out, >^,,^<

The poor object to being governed badly, whilst the rich object to being governed at all. G.K. Chesterton
ellana
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 9:15:25 PM

Neurons: 126,681
Always prudent to get an accurate diagnosis for what a lay person calls an 'ulcer', as it may prove to be something else. A clear diagnosis will dictate the appropriate treatment.
kitten
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 9:17:09 PM

Neurons: 7,420
ellana,

I couldn't agree with you more. Mine were properly diagonised.

peace out, >^,,^<

The poor object to being governed badly, whilst the rich object to being governed at all. G.K. Chesterton
antonio
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:14:37 AM

Neurons: 2,110
Drink sterilized milk or better consult a doctor for medicine presicription.

You can do anything, but not everything. —David Allen
kalai
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:43:24 AM

Neurons: 42
antonio
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:51:13 AM

Neurons: 2,110
Try to check this one:

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Peptic+ulcer

You can do anything, but not everything. —David Allen
Christine
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:47:21 AM

Neurons: 15,842
http://www.hemorrhoidinformationcenter.com/peptic-ulcer-diseasea-simple-guide-for-managing-and-treating-ulcers/
Peptic Ulcer Treatment

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

TL Hobs
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:16:51 PM

Neurons: 5,461

An old folk remedy is to drink tea made from Goldenseal flowers, which can be purchased commercially. Also, tea made from Mullein or Yarrow (Chamomile)is listed for ulcers.

I agree it is best to get an accurate diagnosis first.

"When you don't know where you are going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey
MarySM
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:36:37 PM

Neurons: 6,084
Endoscopy detected my ulcers and I didn’t even realize I had them until I saw the photos provided by the doctor. My symptoms were not severe. A simple round of medication healed them and they are no longer a problem. Sometimes the medical establishment gets it right!

"He who never made a mistake never made a discovery." Samuel Smiles
F.D.S.O.
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:56:27 PM

Neurons: 188
Thanks everyone. sterilized milk? I have never heard of that.

"It's not about how much you make, it's about how much you spend." -papaw-
RuthP
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:18:30 PM

Neurons: 36,127
Hi F.D.S.O.,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Part of the problem with ulcers is there are many different causes and successful treatment depends upon treating the cause of your ulcers, so a work-up is needed.

Possible reasons include:
Infection, usually the bacterium Helicobacter pylori, though there are other bacteria, a few viruses, quite a few fungi, and one parasitic worm (found in raw fish) which may also be involved.

Drugs, usually aspirin and other NSAIDs, though some chemo drugs may also cause ulcers; steroids 'potentiate' the NSAIDs, meaning make ulcers more likely; spironolactone and SSRIs increase the risk of bleeding.

Lifestyle factors, usually alcohol (and it does not require large amounts), smoking, and cocaine/crack use.

Severe physiologic stress meaning things like major burns, major surgery, major infection.

Gastric cancer

Genetic factors which are not fully known or understood, so the important thing is whether or not there is a family history of peptic ulcers.

Other factors relate to other things for which someone would already be under care and thus would trigger a work-up for ulcers if symptoms arose: autoimmune disease, COPD, cirrhosis, things like that.

Ulcers can be confused with
Acute coronary syndrome/chest pain/angina, abdominal aneurysm, gallbladder problems, diverticulitis, gastroesophageal reflux, gastritis, inflammatory bowel disease, and hepatitis. This is not all-inclusive. Some of these are life-threatening; a work-up is needed to exclude them.

All ulcer work-ups should include testing for H. pylori. H. pylori and NSAIDs are far and away the most common causes of ulcers. It is possible to knock-back the symptoms and stop a flare-up, but long term, if there is an infection, ulcers will reoccur until the infection is cleared. That said, you don't want to take major antibiotics unless you do have an infection, so testing is necessary and a good first step.

Outside of emergency procedures (for severe pain or sudden bleeding), the other basic step is endoscopy, where a fiberoptic endoscope is used to look at the stomach. Biopsies may be taken through the scope to help diagnose H. pylori or to confirm stomach cancer. (Gastric cancer is not very common in the U.S.)

Milk (boiled or otherwise) is a traditional treatment for ulcers, which goes to show traditional treatments are NOT always best. It coats the stomach and makes the stomach feel better for a while. As with eating, milk also dilutes the stomach acid, which also makes the stomach feel better for a while.

The problem with milk is it contains calcium. Calcium reduces acidity through chemical reaction with gastric secretions. This sounds good and it fooled doctors for a long time. But, we now know you have feedback mechanisms intended to keep gastric secretions acid. When acidity is reduced, these go into action and ultimately, gastric acidity is increased over normal levels following milk consumption.

In treatment of ulcers, proton-pump inhibitors are sometimes used in conjunction with other medications (antibiotics) or treatments. These reduce the production of stomach acid (rather than diluting or chemically reacting with what is already present).

Given the potentially life-threatening complications from ulcers and the fact that infection is involved most of the time and that infection needs to be resolved in those cases, it is really not worth postponing a full diagnosis to try home remedies.
kingfisher
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:00:56 PM

Neurons: 633
Many peptic ulcers are caused by infection with Helicobacter pylori. A course of antibiotic treatment (usually consisting of at least two and sometimes three medicines) often cures the problem.
jimhusten
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:41:18 AM

Neurons: 3
I had this peptic ulcer when I was younger and it took me time to recover from it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peptic-ulcer/DS00242
http://www.tandurust.com/natural-home-remedies/peptic-ulcer.html
bxlau
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 4:22:37 AM

Neurons: 51
If it is really gastric ulcer and not malignancy or H. pylori, ulcer can be treated fairly easily with proton-pump-inhibitor omeprazole. If that doesn't help you may like to ask a doctor to confirm GERD if there is a persistent heart-burn. Ruth is right, the heart burn sensation may also be confused with some cardiac condition.
enlightened9060
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:37:55 AM

Neurons: 3
If you have been taking acid supressors and have been finding that they are not working try cabbage juice. There was a university study a while ago testing the effectiveness of treating stomach ulcers with cabbage juice. The study concluded that using standard therapy (acid supressors & anti-biotics) the average healing time was 62 days. The standard healing time for stomach ulcers using cabbage juice was 6 days!

Here is the university study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1643665/pdf/califmed00295-0012.pdf

And some more information about stomach ulcers:
http://ulcersinthestomach.com

I have personally tried acid suppressors and it worked for about two weeks then I started getting really bad heart burn again. Cabbage juice had reduced the pain and heart burn within 3 days and I can eat any food I like again!

Hope you get well and would be great to see you try this and report back.
Epiphileon
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:45:23 AM

Neurons: 59,639
So, have any advice on what to do about the hernia you'll get from trying to squeeze juice out of a cabbage?
Just kidding Enlightened, can't help the visuals I get when reading something sometimes. Well come to the forum,

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
pedro
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 6:11:31 AM

Neurons: 59,252
More on cabbage!

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?dbid=19&tname=foodspice

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst