The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Base & Apex Options
Aventador LP700-4
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 10:34:56 AM

Neurons: 10,489
I doubt about the exact meaning of the words " base & apex " in the following context.

The other variation on the "four bars" not shown are the Watts and Jacobs bar linkages to replace the Panhard rod for lateral positioning. Another linkage is the two parallel bars above the axle and a triangulated link underneath - a design you will find on the Lotus 7 - where the lower link has its base on the chassis and the apex under the differential.

Source:
http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_pg2.html

I think (but I'm not sure) that the base here refers to the lowest point and apex refers to highest point.

I think the writer is talking about this kind of suspension:

palapaguy
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 12:42:17 PM

Neurons: 7,509
Aventador LP700-4 wrote:
I doubt about the exact meaning of the words " base & apex " in the following context.

The other variation on the "four bars" not shown are the Watts and Jacobs bar linkages to replace the Panhard rod for lateral positioning. Another linkage is the two parallel bars above the axle and a triangulated link underneath - a design you will find on the Lotus 7 - where the lower link has its base on the chassis and the apex under the differential.

Source:
http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_pg2.html

I think (but I'm not sure) that the base here refers to the lowest point and apex refers to highest point.

I think the writer is talking about this kind of suspension:

I think the writer is describing the structure as a simple (but not necessarily equilateral) triangle. The base is a horizontal straight line and the apex is the point above the base where imaginary straight lines from the ends of the base, meet.