The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Writer of Fake News Found Dead - No Foul Play Options
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:31:41 AM

Neurons: 46,329
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/paul-horner-fake-news-writer-found-dead/

Fake news is a big topic these days, with many saying it is mainstream media that creates it.

But Paul Horner claims credit for putting Trump in the White House because he posted all kinds of untruths about the election. He said that Trump supporters picked it up and sent it viral without checking facts.

Do you think one man could be responsible for swaying an election?

The trouble with the world - the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:40:12 AM

Neurons: 386,845
Believe it or not, but I didn't vote based on anything I read on social media. Can you believe it? Someone who doesn't live and breathe based on someone's "posts"?
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:39:46 PM

Hi Wilmar.

But you got your news from somewhere and the social media news was picked up by Google News and Fox News - they even corrected a fake news story later - when the damage was already done. Horner said he hated Trump but it was more profitable to support the Conservatives as they picked it up without fact checking.

It's difficult to gauge whether Horner was as influential as he claimed. But his stories certainly reached wide audiences, often by masquerading as coming from reputable news sources.”

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/27/554050916/paul-horner-fake-news-purveyor-who-claimed-credit-for-trump-s-win-found-dead-at-

The trouble with the world - the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:59:20 PM

Neurons: 242,792
I had a suspicion that Mr Putin did not put in the White House the president. It was a Democrat prankster who done it, single-freehandedly,
who now appears to have voluntarily overdosed out of remorse for spreading fake news?! Disclaimer: I have not checked this nor will I cross
my heart, it may well be fake.Liar
almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:09:22 PM

Neurons: 5,715
dave argo
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:25:50 PM

Neurons: 64,653
This is funny, how well it fits the bill, "To read between the lines was easier than to follow the text.
Henry James (1843-1916)"
Sometimes it's all between the lines.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/352620-fake-news-writer-in-2016-presidential-election-found-dead
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 10:23:26 AM

News and Guts and Dan Rather says - Facebook was only the beginning. The Russians were, and are, knee deep in fake accounts on Twitter.

Twitter is to face congress.

BREAKING: From The New York Times—Facebook was only the beginning. The Russians were, and are, knee deep in fake accounts on Twitter.
“For three weeks, a harsh spotlight has been trained on Facebook over its disclosure that Russians used fake pages and ads, designed to look like the work of American activists, to spread inflammatory messages during and since the presidential campaign.
“But there is evidence that Twitter may have been used even more extensively than Facebook in the Russian influence campaign last year. In addition to Russia-linked Twitter accounts that posed as Americans, the platform was also used for large-scale automated messaging, using “bot” accounts to spread false stories and promote news articles about emails from Democratic operatives that had been obtained by Russian hackers.”

And guess who has the most fake Twitter accounts? Trump himself.

Romany
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 2:29:12 PM

Neurons: 44,043
Hope - . Haven't been watching so much of the Trump fiasco these days. It seems the whole country has kinda got over Trump and dismissed him - we have some stuff of our own happening, as you know! But I did a spring-clean and a big catch up yesterday. All the coverage I saw explained a)the Russian/elections thing and b)the Trump Family web of business deals in China, Russia, etc. in minute and factually backed up detail and c) bios of the people around him.(See the Bannon/Mississippi(or wherever) master-stroke? Now the country is being told to trust, in the White House, a judge who has been suspended twice and tried to raise up a monument to the 10 Commandments in his town? I simply cannot wait to see the future movies and series that come out of this!)

So I've come to realise that it's not just a linear thing: A did this to B and C took action. It's years of it between minor players, big players, fake players, etc. in so many deals. And following the yellow brick road between one deal and another the same names keep coincidentally coming up.

The idea that there is any one person who is responsible for any aspect of the current Admin's woes is just no longer feasible, it would seem, now?
tunaafi
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:03:08 PM

Neurons: 53,503
Romany wrote:
The idea that there is any one person who is responsible for any aspect of the current Admin's woes is just no longer feasible, it would seem, now?

Typical "liberal" response. It's all obviously Obama's fault.

Or Clinton's.

I'll give you a definitive answer soon - I just need to check which way the wind is blowing.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 5:20:29 PM

Romany,

Well we Canadians wish we could dismiss him and Teresa May has not dismissed him when he puts a 221% tariff on planes sold to the US in a dispute between Boeing and Bombardier. And Boeing doesn't even make that kind of plane so there is no damage to them even IF they can prove there is unfair advantage.

Obviously there were many causes and many sources of fake news, but I do think that one passionate industrious person who spread his fake news so that it was picked up and spread even further could have a big piece of the pie of responsibility. I heard today that 62 or 3 % of Americans get their news from Facebook alone. And then Breitbart and then Fox News picked it up etc.

:::::

Digression from the source of the fake news but still about fake news and its serious consequences affecting a whole town in this case -

This is what Fox News reported at the time of an incident in 2016 in Twin Falls, Idaho. I see corrections or updates by other news outlets now and at the time of this story, but I can't find any by Fox News. If anyone else can find that, please post it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/22/idaho-town-torn-by-alleged-rape-fear-refugees.html

Here's what they now know happened. There was an incident between a five year-old girl and a seven-year-old boy but fake news has caused all kinds of fear and threats for the whole town. There weren't even any refugees in the Idaho town. According to Facebook the fake news was linked to Russian accounts. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/us/politics/russia-facebook-election.html

It was meant to stir up fear about refugees and Obama's policies. It is both “disgusting and fascinating”.

”Right-wing, anti-refugee fake news terrorizes American town” :

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/right-wing-anti-refugee-fake-news-terrorizes-american-town-1056678979734

philips daughter
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 5:39:41 PM

Neurons: 43,581
The Russians are playing both conservative and liberals against one another. They post things intended to provoke anger. Is Parser a Russian poser? He says the most extreme things. He can't validate any of his "facts" or we find out that he has misapplied his facts. When he is proved wrong, without skipping a beat he is on to another outrageous story. It is my opinion that he is Comrade Parser and not the patriot he says or else he wouldn't be so purposely divisive.
Romany
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 3:38:55 AM

Neurons: 44,043

oh-oh, PD,

Watch out! One of the reasons Parsar started his ridiculous scenario of me heading some secret TFD society, was because, when he first joined, he certainly presented as a troll or a prankster. At that time I had never been exposed to Trump, had no idea what the difference between a Republican and a Democrat was, and we'd never had a poster before who moved in and started ripping people. And, though we're used to it now, at the time I didn't think an adult could be behind the avatar, considering Parsar's command of English and way of expressing himself.Plus I'd never heard, first hand, any of the filth of racism expressed so blatantly and publicly.

So one day, when he had upset some people with his racism, I proposed, (partly as a joke, but party because it was impossible to take him seriously) that those who were upset cheer up: "Hey, the joke could be on us. We might find that "The Parser" is really some huge, black teenager down in his basement, giggling away as he winds us all up."

To my utter mystification (then!) Parsar not only did not take it as a joke, but was angrier than he'd ever been before. He wasn't angry because I'd proposed he was a troll - but because I "accused" him of being black! And that was when he began his stupid conspiracy theory concerning me, Tuna, Hope - and Lottje when she joined.

Now if "accusing" him of the hideous crime of having black skin, led to him bringing division, dislike, pettiness,conspiracy theories,and sheer bad manners, to the site; speculating that he is a 'filthy Commie' (or whatever the '50s trope was) might lead to us all imploding from the sheer weight of his indignation!! And YOU'LL become the shadowy leader of the wicked conspirators who stealthily control the site!
tunaafi
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 4:56:50 AM

Neurons: 53,503
Although there are not many members of this particular forum who agree with TheParser's views on Trump, black people, women, gays, etc, his views are widely held in some parts of the USA.

Trump's popularity ratings may be among the lowest in recent history of ay president at this stage of his term, but latest figures (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/donald-trump-latest-approval-rating-impeachment-odds/)suggest that 40% of Americans approve of the way he is handling things. I don't think we can honestly believe that all these people are Russian agents.

TheParser is simply one among millions of people who believe much of the fake and distorted news that is being peddled; it gives them the sense that their prejudices are justified.

ps. The link I posted does not appear to work. It does if you cut and paste it it into the address bar.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 2:09:12 PM

Neurons: 2,561,624
Romany, thanks for explaining things! That is hilarious. It -- clarifies a few things too.

100th person on TFD to 1 million neurons.