The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

command on written English Options
Luker4
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 3:53:00 AM

Neurons: 22,648
Hello again :)

When I saw "command on written English" I thought it was a mistake and should be "of" Think
but there are some examples of "on" usage on the internet

what do you think ?

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 3:59:45 AM

Neurons: 151,426
I can't tell.

What's the sentence?

You can give a command. If it is about written English, then it is a 'command on written English'.

If the sentence is saying someone has the knowledge and skill to write well in English, then they have "a good command of written English".

If anyone (on the internet or not) says that someone has a good command on written English - then THEY do not have a good command of English.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Luker4
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 5:08:11 AM

Yes that was exactly what I thought :) Thank you Drag0

English language still holds many mysteries for me I thought it was one of them Whistle
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 5:17:13 AM

Usually, I find that if it sounds wrong, it is wrong (unless it is such an unusual construction that it is never used).

You can follow all the rules and write a sentence which makes no sense. One could say it's a correct sentence - but I think you know enough English to recognise the common phrases now.

Definitely - if something doesn't seem right to you, query it.

Naomi Holloway
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:54:40 AM

Neurons: 8
Phrases are always confusing either you are writing it or saying it. I am a professional writer and provide dissertation help to the students and believe me I do not know many phrases because you cannot use phrases in academic writing. So I always find it easier not to use any phrase and speak straight.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:02:24 PM

Hello Naomi.
Welcome to the forum.

However:
1. you are violating the rules of the forum by advertising your services.

2. Due to the mistakes you have made in your first sentence, I would never hire you to help with my writing.

If you want to continue to discuss English, or have questions, feel free to continue posting.

I don't understand what you mean by "you cannot use phrases in academic writing".
"Academic writing" is a phrase, "professional writer" is a phrase, "believe me" is an idiomatic phrase.
You cannot write a sentence without phrases.

tunaafi
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 5:15:32 PM

Neurons: 53,498
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

I did click on 'Mark as Spam' as soon as I spotted the post. The mods appear to be uninterested.
Eoin Riedy
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:17:50 PM

Neurons: 859
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hello Naomi.
Welcome to the forum.

However:

2. Due to the mistakes you have made in your first sentence, I would never hire you to help with my writing.

If you want to continue to discuss English, or have questions, feel free to continue posting.

I don't understand what you mean by "you cannot use phrases in academic writing".
"Academic writing" is a phrase, "professional writer" is a phrase, "believe me" is an idiomatic phrase.
You cannot write a sentence without phrases.

Thank you Drag0nspeaker. I'm laughing out loud.
palapaguy
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:34:02 AM

Neurons: 7,509
Naomi Holloway wrote:
Phrases are always confusing either you are writing it or saying it. I am a professional writer and provide dissertation help to the students and believe me I do not know many phrases because you cannot use phrases in academic writing. So I always find it easier not to use any phrase and speak straight.

Naomi, in that case, please feel free to speak straight.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 2:52:23 PM

Neurons: 40,721
I see one of Naomi's "scholastic" friends has joined in on another thread. Unfortunately the naughty girl plagiarised her colleague's words!!

There isn't a button for fake accounts, but I guess the Spam button would do the trick?
Luker4
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 4:24:36 PM

looks aren't everything huh ? Dancing Whistle
Eoin Riedy
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:45:41 PM

Neurons: 859
Romany wrote:
I see one of Naomi's "scholastic" friends has joined in on another thread. Unfortunately the naughty girl plagiarised her colleague's words!!

She'd better watch out, Naomi has a gun! Under the name of Lilly Griffin, Naomi has posted this gem of writing on the Women's Gun Zone Forum (I eliminated the embedded link in "dissertation writing"):

"To celebrate Mothers day. At Heart Kids we are always in awe of heart parents, and with Mother’s Day only a week away we wanted to give something special to Mother and it will be a surprise for your mother and she will get happy to see that, i know many folks are quite busy in their life schedule like dissertation writing help for their academic writing help. So they do not have much time for other activities. But you can use online ways to send her a surprise."

Look what we got you for Mothers Day, Mom! A dissertation to go with your Glock 42! Surprised, huh?

Luker4 wrote:
looks aren't everything huh ? Dancing Whistle

Especially when you look exactly like American model and actress Rachel Cook!

(Yes, I did a small bit of Google image searching.)
Anxious
Parpar1836
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 3:00:15 PM

Neurons: 8,281
I wonder what the dissertations look like after her "professional" editing is done.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 9:13:46 PM

Well, the website in her 'signature' will give you an idea.

These are the first couple of sentences of their 'blurb'.

Get a Sigh of Relief as Our Professional Dissertation Writing Services Will Make It Easy For You To Submit A Top-Notch Custom Dissertation For Achieving Your Dreams!

(Very unprofessional capitalisation, mis-used idiom "Get a sigh of relief", "will" is redundant and incorrect, mis-used adverbial phrase "for achieving your dreams")

Thousands of student need to submit a highly complex dissertation writing project at the end of their academic semesters.
(Incorrect use of singular 'student')

These custom dissertation require students to go through extensive research and data analysis as per their proposed topic, presenting the whole dissertation in a unique writing structure acceptable by their College or University.
(Incorrect use of singular 'dissertation', mis-use of 'as per')

It doesn't get any better as you carry on reading . . .

Romany
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 10:21:27 AM

Ah, I know it's funny and that we can all see that and dismiss it out of hand.

But I can't help thinking of all the thousands and thousands of foreign students who get cheated out of their money, often getting into debt, often using their life-savings, in response to this kind of Spam. I feel really peed off that they would target a site such as this - even though it's a sound marketing strategy.

And despite several people Spamming Naomi et all, there they still sit on what any English learner might think is a trusted site. If the owners want to keep wringing profit from this site they are going to have to come up with a way to deal with bots.
Romany
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 10:21:27 AM

Ah, I know it's funny and that we can all see that and dismiss it out of hand.

But I can't help thinking of all the thousands and thousands of foreign students who get cheated out of their money, often getting into debt, often using their life-savings, in response to this kind of Spam. I feel really peed off that they would target a site such as this - even though it's a sound marketing strategy.

And despite several people Spamming Naomi et all, there they still sit on what any English learner might think is a trusted site. If the owners want to keep wringing profit from this site they are going to have to come up with a way to deal with bots.