https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGAQ1HmVaGo
Ursus Minor
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 7:47:39 AM

Neurons: 2,456
Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
Trump, Russia, and the Facebook Factor

$150000 for political advertising on the Facebook?Angel
Victoria Nooland confessed that the US spent $5 bln to overthrow Yanukovich in Ukraine.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 9:26:01 PM

Neurons: 2,783,022
Ursus Minor wrote:
Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
Trump, Russia, and the Facebook Factor

$150000 for political advertising on the Facebook?Angel
Victoria Nooland confessed that the US spent $5 bln to overthrow Yanukovich in Ukraine.

It's not that cut and dried. This was general economic aid, some of which offset Russian operations, much well before Yanukovich ever took power.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2014/3/6/1282792/-US-Did-Not-Spend-5-Billion-to-Destabilize-Yanukovich

All Mueller needs to establish is that any money was spent on campaigns, and Facebook and whoever paid for those ads are in big trouble.

The important thing is looking forward that people can't spend that sort of money in that sort of way again. There will only be more in 2018. We need to know how and why it happened so it does not happen again.

100th person on TFD to 1 million neurons.
tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 3:27:43 AM

Neurons: 53,503
Andrew Schultz wrote:
This was general economic aid, some of which offset Russian operations, much well before Yanukovich ever took power.

The attempts of some western and some (current and former) communist states over the years to damage/overthrow regimes of which they do/did not approve have cost trillions of dollars and affected millions of lives.

Such countries are being hypocritical if they cry foul when they discover such attempts against themselves.

However, they do have a right (and duty) to attempt to uncover and expose such attempts against themselves and, in doing so, attempt to find ways to protect themselves in the future. Failure to investigate such attempts would undermine the declining faith many of us in the democratic election process in some countries.

Yllek (Я говорю по-английски)
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:34:26 PM

Neurons: 11,376
Quoth the Trump, nevermore
Boo hoo!

-Eeegor Alin Poetttt
Dennis Chen
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 3:15:09 PM

Neurons: 29,990
Yllek (Я говорю по-английски) wrote:
Quoth the Trump, nevermore
Boo hoo!

-Eeegor Alin Poetttt

LOL

FounDit
Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017 2:07:45 PM

Neurons: 50,190
Trump's days are numbered alright. I'd put the number at around 2,616. That comes out to 7 years and 2 months...LOL.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Hope123
Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017 3:20:16 PM

Neurons: 46,920
Could be, FD. How fast dementia accelerates does vary.

:::

Karma is great.

499: Number of days between when Michael Flynn led a “Lock her up!” chant at the 2016 Republican Convention and pleading guilty of lying to the FBI about Russia. Wonder what he'll tell them to get a deal.

As well - One by one, we're finding out the true character of the male journalists who treated HillaryClinton (and her voters) with seething disdain and sexism. All those misogynists in the media who were harder on Hillary and her emails than on Trump's lies during the campign are also being fired for inappropriate sexual behaviour. All that hullaballoo about emails and then barely a word about Trump outing Israeli operatives to the Russians right in the oval office, leaking classified information so allies no longer trust him with classifeid information. Nobody knows what happened to that operative if he is still alive or not. I also remember noticing that the day she won her party's nomination the major newspapers all printed with the story a photo of Bill Clinton, not of Hillary.

Karma is great. Oh. I already said that. But Billy Bush is still waiting.

Elitism is the slur directed at merit by mediocrity. -Sydney J. Harris, journalist (14 Sep 1917-1986)
FounDit
Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017 4:02:40 PM

Neurons: 50,190
Hope123 wrote:
Could be, FD. How fast dementia accelerates does vary.
True. In some cases in comes on very fast.

Karma is great.

499: Number of days between when Michael Flynn led a “Lock her up!” chant at the 2016 Republican Convention and pleading guilty of lying to the FBI about Russia. Wonder what he'll tell them to get a deal.
No matter. That's on Flynn. Whatever he says, it will only be on him. Meeting with foreign ambassadors is exactly what members of a transition team are expected to do. His crime was lying to the FBI about it; stupid because it was unnecessary.

As well - One by one, we're finding out the true character of the male journalists who treated HillaryClinton (and her voters) with seething disdain and sexism. ??? Perhaps you could provide a list of those journalists. I certainly don't recall that. What I recall is Hillary treating half our citizens with contempt and disdain, calling them a basket of deplorables. Even on election night, all the major media were openly saying Clinton was going to win. Then they broke down in tears when it didn't happen.
All those misogynists in the media who were harder on Hillary and her emails than on Trump's lies during the campign are also being fired for inappropriate sexual behaviour. Misogynists like Al Franken, Harvey Weinstein, Matt Lauer, et al., who slobbered over Hillary like a dog with a steak? Ri-g-g-ht. Misogynists...LOL.

All that hullaballoo about emails and then barely a word about Trump outing Israeli operatives to the Russians right in the oval office, leaking classified information so allies no longer trust him with classifeid information.Sure. Misspeaking something is so-o-o-o much worse than keeping years of classified and above classified info on an unsecured server.

Nobody knows what happened to that operative if he is still alive or not. You mean you aren't sure? How can that be? I don't suppose he could be retired and living a life of ease now. That couldn't happen. It must be whatever you think it is.

I also remember noticing that the day she won her party's nomination the major newspapers all printed with the story a photo of Bill Clinton, not of Hillary. Well, that's because Bill is the hero of the Left. After all, you can't do much better than blowjobs in the White House can you? And Hillary only facilitated it. Not quite the same as staining the dress is it?

Yep. That Karma is great stuff.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Hope123
Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017 9:39:10 PM

FounDit wrote:
[quote=Hope123]Could be, FD. How fast dementia accelerates does vary.
True. In some cases in comes on very fast.

Karma is great.

No matter. That's on Flynn. Whatever he says, it will only be on him. Meeting with foreign ambassadors is exactly what members of a transition team are expected to do. His crime was lying to the FBI about it; stupid because it was unnecessary.

Unnecessary. Perhaps. Depends what he did. He must have had a reason to think it necessary. He's a general, knows the game, and can't be all that stupid. Have to wait and see if it is true that he was instructed by the campaign to contact Russia about Obama's sanctions. Possibly by Kushner. It does make one wonder why Trump has tried several times to get the investigation stopped using several methods if he didn't know what was going on especially with the timing of Trump's comments about Russia during the campaign on the days when these rendezvous were taking place. On the very day Obama issued sanctions against Russia. There is speculation that Flynn is cooperating as there may be further allegations he is trying to get lessened. And if I understand correctly, there are only the President and Vice President ranking above him to go after. Mueller knows what he is doing.

As well - One by one, we're finding out the true character of the male journalists who treated HillaryClinton (and her voters) with seething disdain and sexism. ??? Perhaps you could provide a list of those journalists. I certainly don't recall that. What I recall is Hillary treating half our citizens with contempt and disdain, calling them a basket of deplorables. Even on election night, all the major media were openly saying Clinton was going to win. Then they broke down in tears when it didn't happen.

Deplorables? You really still want to go there? One comment without the rest of the paragraph? After Charlottesville, Roy Moore, Ailes, O'Reilly, etc. and even Trump himself? After watching videos in the news these last few months, 35.5 million....

All those misogynists in the media who were harder on Hillary and her emails than on Trump's lies during the campign are also being fired for inappropriate sexual behaviour. Misogynists like Al Franken, Harvey Weinstein, Matt Lauer, et al., who slobbered over Hillary like a dog with a steak? Ri-g-g-ht. Misogynists...LOL.

Before he became a "Republican" Trump himself used to fawn all over both Clintons. lol. You must have missed the Commander-in Chief Forum Lauer moderated where he was criticized at the time for his inequality of treatment of the two candidates showing he was not being an impartial moderator. I don't believe Weinstein and Franken are journalists.......

All that hullaballoo about emails and then barely a word about Trump outing Israeli operatives to the Russians right in the oval office, leaking classified information so allies no longer trust him with classifeid information.Sure. Misspeaking something is so-o-o-o much worse than keeping years of classified and above classified info on an unsecured server.

Misspeaking my ass. Trump was that stupid that he didn't know enough about being president to keep his big mouth shut about Israeli classified information? That's even worse. He just had to brag - see what information I get when I'm president. As if they woud be impressed. Trump and family have used unsecured technology so many times it is laughable to think you are still bringing up her emails.

Nobody knows what happened to that operative if he is still alive or not. You mean you aren't sure? How can that be? I don't suppose he could be retired and living a life of ease now. That couldn't happen. It must be whatever you think it is.

I don't think it is anything except he would have been outed for sure. It is unknown what happened to him but someone in the know who would not say the outcome just said it isn't pretty. Even if he is living a life of ease, he woud have lost his undercover and the good he could have done. Don't make light of outing someone whose job is a patriotic undercover agent for his country.

I also remember noticing that the day she won her party's nomination the major newspapers all printed with the story a photo of Bill Clinton, not of Hillary. Well, that's because Bill is the hero of the Left. After all, you can't do much better than blowjobs in the White House can you? And Hillary only facilitated it. Not quite the same as staining the dress is it?

Typical male Republican response - can't even admit that it WAS misogynist to print his picture and not hers when it was HER achievement. It was so glaring and so egregious an error! (I generalize Republican male because that is exactly the typical Republican talking point and well, many males do think like all those journalists.) You have to bring up her stupid alley cat husband as an excuse for the journalists when you have what used to be a stupid alley cat right in the WH. Stupid because they can't keep their zippers up - although neither one of them can probably even find it now anyhow.

Yep. That Karma is great stuff.

[color=red]Yupper. Flynn is going to jail. Lock HIM up!

Elitism is the slur directed at merit by mediocrity. -Sydney J. Harris, journalist (14 Sep 1917-1986)
progpen
Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017 10:50:28 PM

Neurons: 289,123
FounDit wrote:
Meeting with foreign ambassadors is exactly what members of a transition team are expected to do. His crime was lying to the FBI about it; stupid because it was unnecessary.

We are already way past thinking there was no crime.

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/7/10/15950590/donald-trump-jr-new-york-times-illegal
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/11/110.20

The statute in question is 52 USC 30121, 36 USC 510 — the law governing foreign contributions to US campaigns. There are two key passages that apply here. This is the first:

A foreign national shall not, directly or indirectly, make a contribution or a donation of money or other thing of value, or expressly or impliedly promise to make a contribution or a donation, in connection with any Federal, State, or local election.

The crucial phrase here is “other thing of value,” legal experts tell me. It means that the law extends beyond just cash donations. Foreigners are also banned from providing other kinds of contributions that would be the functional equivalent of a campaign donation, just provided in the form of services rather than goods. Like, say, damaging information the Russian government collected about Hillary Clinton.

“To the extent you’re using the resources of a foreign country to run your campaign — that’s an illegal campaign contribution,” Nick Akerman, an assistant special prosecutor during the Watergate investigation who now specializes in data crime, says.

Here’s the second important passage of the statute: “No person shall knowingly solicit, accept, or receive from a foreign national any contribution or donation prohibited by [this law].”

The key word from Trump Jr., according to University of California Irvine election law expert Rick Hasen, is “solicit,” which has a very specific meaning in this context. To quote the relevant statute:

A solicitation is an oral or written communication that, construed as reasonably understood in the context in which it is made, contains a clear message asking, requesting, or recommending that another person make a contribution, donation, transfer of funds, or otherwise provide anything of value.
Trump Jr. was clearly soliciting information that he knew was coming from a foreign source. Given that political campaigns regularly pay thousands of dollars to opposition researchers to dig up dirt, it seems like damaging information on Clinton would constitute something “of value” to the Trump campaign.

The solicitation bit is why it doesn’t matter if Trump Jr. actually got useful information. The part that’s illegal, according to the experts I spoke to, is trying to acquire dirt on Clinton from a foreign source, not successfully acquiring it. And his statement more or less admits that he did, in fact, solicit this information.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, December 2, 2017 1:33:46 AM

Also, Proggy - I just read that Flynn's lie was not just that he said he had not contacted foreign ambassadors for routine matters, but that he had not talked to them about Obama's sanctions when in fact he now pleads guilty for so doing.

But Trump voters will say collusion doesn't matter. He's still our hero.

Do you think if it is a proven charge that he would ever resign like Nixon rather than be impeached?

::

But one would think people wouldn't ignore their own pocketbook just to support their party. But no.

It seems supporters on the Forum and in the general population are still supporting Trump and his merry band who are robbing the poor again. The bill probably being passed tonight is a massive transfer of wealth to the already rich in the guise of tax reform.

A 479 page omnibus bill of major ramifications of supposed tax reform with all kinds of extras attached, a bill that has neither been discussed nor read because it is impossible to read the hand written scratches, a bill rushed through with no hearings and no testimony with the text not even printed, that raises the deficit by trillions, that senators were given only hours to read before the vote, is the way to make America great again! Sounds like the healthcare bills they tried to pass except worse.

Wow. This is now the norm for how the GOP runs the US. I think at the very least they should change the name from Grand Old Party to something more applicable.

When April 15 arrives, especially in a few years when all benefits to the working class disappear while those to the rich and the corporations are permanent, maybe Trump's AND the GOP's days WILL be numbered. If the US is still standing by election time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/01/us/politics/senate-tax-bill-debate-vote.html

progpen
Posted: Saturday, December 2, 2017 7:37:35 AM

Hope123 wrote:
Do you think if it is a proven charge that he would ever resign like Nixon rather than be impeached?

I think he will be shrieking "Witch Hunt! Fake News!" all the way to prison. I don't see him doing anything but exacerbating the already serious criminal actions and compounding the damage. He is far too narcissistic to ever accept responsibility or blame for anything he has ever done. He will, when cornered, turn to his organized crime connections to help him out.

In short, I don't think he is capable of taking this already bad situation and accept his part and his responsibility, but will end up making it many times worse trying to cover up and hide it.

progpen
Posted: Saturday, December 2, 2017 9:34:30 AM

Hope123 wrote:
Also, Proggy - I just read that Flynn's lie was not just that he said he had not contacted foreign ambassadors for routine matters, but that he had not talked to them about Obama's sanctions when in fact he now pleads guilty for so doing.

But Trump voters will say collusion doesn't matter. He's still our hero.

::

But one would think people wouldn't ignore their own pocketbook just to support their party. But no.

It seems supporters on the Forum and in the general population are still supporting Trump and his merry band who are robbing the poor again. The bill probably being passed tonight is a massive transfer of wealth to the already rich in the guise of tax reform.

A 479 page omnibus bill of major ramifications of supposed tax reform with all kinds of extras attached, a bill that has neither been discussed nor read because it is impossible to read the hand written scratches, a bill rushed through with no hearings and no testimony with the text not even printed, that raises the deficit by trillions, that senators were given only hours to read before the vote, is the way to make America great again! Sounds like the healthcare bills they tried to pass except worse.

Wow. This is now the norm for how the GOP runs the US. I think at the very least they should change the name from Grand Old Party to something more applicable.

When April 15 arrives, especially in a few years when all benefits to the working class disappear while those to the rich and the corporations are permanent, maybe Trump's AND the GOP's days WILL be numbered. If the US is still standing by election time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/01/us/politics/senate-tax-bill-debate-vote.html

I think that in a year's time we will begin to see an exodus of young people as they begin to realize what the (R)s have done to them and to generations of their decedents. Once the destruction has begun, it will be nearly impossible to fix within a lifetime. The (R)s are achieving their ultimate goal of turning over all of the countries power and resources to the wealthiest. Unfortunately, the Democratic party is not nearly equipped to fix any of this and it will eventually take outside forces (outside of the big 2 political parties and their masters) to fix the damage. The siphoning off of resources will quickly reduce the US to a hollow cadaver that will fall in on itself.

philips daughter
Posted: Saturday, December 2, 2017 10:08:55 AM

Neurons: 43,581
I agree.

I agree.

The late, great United States of America is no more. Parser, I hope you and all the rest will enjoy. One last prophecy- it will be ashes in your mouths.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, December 2, 2017 2:14:59 PM

They are calling the passing of the tax bill a win for the GOP. It is a win for the wealthy. At least three senators have said that their donors had told them to get it done or "don't ever call me again". The senators are blatantly admitting that they are taking their salaries and benefits and not doing their job of protecting their constituents. The donors are selling out Americans for their own personal gain. What did voters expect when they were putting Wall Street right in the White House, claiming Hillary was "too corporate" and "corrupt". Of course that irony will be lost on them.

All voters can do is not vote for those senators again - then donors won't matter to them. Too little, too late?

::::

Proggy, already Canada is benefitting by the brain drain - finally in our direction instead of the other way around, as it has been for years.

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, December 2, 2017 2:22:08 PM

News today -

A synopsis from an article in Bloomberg - djt needs to accept that North Korea should be let into the "has nukes" club and deal with them the same as the world has with other nuclear powers - focus on defence and on supporting a transition to democracy, as hard as that may be with someone who has no diplomacy skills. Warnings disconnected from reality are useless now. Preventing NK from getting nukes is no longer an option. They HAVE them. The time is past when the non-nuclear signatories were loathe to violate such a treaty and they have restrictions NK doesn't unless let into the club. NK has used the last 25 years of posturing by the US to quietly develop their program and the posturing has also distracted the US from what China has been doing too.

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, December 2, 2017 2:39:17 PM

philips daughter wrote:
I agree.I agree.
The late, great United States of America is no more. Parser, I hope you and all the rest will enjoy. One last prophecy- it will be ashes in your mouths.

Philip's Daughter, unfortunately, it is not just the US at stake. If it were only about an investigation into a foreign government using social media like Facebook to interfere in their affairs, I wouldn't even be in this discussion.

But the American public and media, and the world, had better beware of the following happening - again - here's an opinion piece by Tony Burman of the Toronto Star on the link.

The signs are there that the US is quietly getting ready for an unnecessary war against Iran, just as they did in 2003, this time prodded by Saudi Arabia and Israel. And a war based on false information may happen again.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/columnists/2017/12/02/on-iran-trump-is-a-weapon-of-mass-destruction.html

"The US "claims, falsely, that Iran’s support of the Al Qaeda terrorist group is a threat to U.S. national security. But Iran’s ties to Al Qaeda are actually limited at best. In contrast, Saudi Arabian interests have been far more intertwined with Al Qaeda over the years. After all, let’s remember that 15 of the 19 9/11 attackers in 2001 were Saudi citizens. Iran’s regime is certainly aggressive in defending its survival in the region but in no way is this a direct threat to American interests. Surrounding Iran are thousands of U.S. troops and several military bases at the ready. Iran is a nuisance to the U.S. — but little more. However, in the same way the Republican administration of President George W. Bush became fixated on Iraq in the aftermath of 9/11, so is the Trump team obsessed with Iran.

The fabled “four-star generals” who surround Donald Trump in his cabinet and the White House all honed their battlefield skills in military operations against Iran-backed groups. They share a loathing of Iran. Defense Secretary James Mattis, once asked about the three most serious threats to U.S. security, replied: “Iran, Iran, Iran.”History is truly repeating itself. But there is one important difference that makes this time around more unpredictable and dangerous. His name is Donald Trump."

The article goes on to describe the irrational (my adjective) things Trump has done just this past week. But here is the most important part of the article -

"There are also several signs that he will soon replace his embattled secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, with CIA chief Mike Pompeo. Tillerson, for all of his flaws, has acted as a restraint to Trump in several key issues, including Iran. Pompeo, in contrast, is a hawk on Iran — arguing that it is an evil force in the world. Secretary of State Pompeo, when it happens, would certainly join Trump’s generals in wanting to take on Iran.

But as in 2002-’03, the first step is to get your propaganda in line. The Bush crowd tried that with Iraq, and pulled it off. The American media at the time largely fell for it. In this replay of history, the demonization of Iran has only begun."

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, December 2, 2017 6:16:37 PM

I just now am looking at today's news and saw exactly what FD asked me for - a list of men and how they contributed to Clinton losing the election. I say "contributed" because the author does mention other causes including Clinton's baggage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/01/opinion/matt-lauer-hillary-clinton.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region