The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"It begins at 10" Options
Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 8:53:45 AM

Neurons: 377,937
I came across an article in the news today that referenced a recent study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health. Researchers interviewed adolescents (and their parents/guardians) from various countries in the world about the gender expectations that influence their lives. Despite the different cultures, there were many cross-culture similarities such as the belief that men are strong and independent, and women are weak and dependent. That men are predators and women are victims.

As the title implies, the impact of gender expectations begins at age 10 and the lessons learned during adolescence carry lifelong consequences. It results in mindsets that are hard to shake as people struggle to conform and judge each other for not conforming.

This is an issue I have always found interesting, as it shows how subtle and hard to overcome society's influence can be. How many men can wear a skirt (not a kilt) or decide to dance as a hobby or profession without being ridiculed (in jest or for real)? How many men are believed if they say their wife/girlfriend abuses them? How many women make strategic dress-choices to avoid being harassed on the street or at work? How many women don't go into STEM subjects because numbers are seen as a guy-thing?

The link I provided contains a short summary of the study and a link to download the pdf of the study.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:29:35 AM

Neurons: 146,892
The concept is very true, but I would say that it begins well before one gets to ten years old - much more so when I was growing up, but even now.

Young girls tend to be integrated and more free (nowadays, there's nothing unusual about a girl wearing trousers, having short hair etc).

However, what would be the reaction to a seven-year-old boy with long curly hair wearing a frilly dress to school?

Look at Disney . . .

It starts at birth!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:39:54 AM

Neurons: 40,339
Lotje, it is great that they are studying adolescents but first want to talk to parents and children.

I would not disagree with their arguments but I would have thought the differences start right at the beginning as to how we treat toddlers with their toys and even babies are given different colors.

I was always pleased to see how my two granddaughters stood up for themselves even as toddlers and have become competent young ladies, always able to take care of themselves and yet they have good relationships with, not only the opposite sex, but have lots of good friends of both sexes.

Besides having good role models as parents, they were also on a competitive swim team where there was a camaraderie with groups of adolescents being friends and competing against each other but also against their their own Personal Best - they called it getting a PB. Families went to swim competitions for weekends away together and the families all became friends. They cheered for each other and they developed self esteem.

Their parents also never "babied" them but encouraged them to be strong right from the beginning.

In other words, treat both sexes the same way and give them opportunities to be real friends with both sexes through adolescence.

And yet, girls do have to be told that they are the ones in control where sex is concerned because, although both sexes have disease consequences, the girls have the most to lose if they become pregnant too early. They also have to be made aware of the strong urges young men have and not to believe everything they are told but to take actions over words.

The girls I see on the streets here definitely do not worry about dress choices any more. Whistle

Edited - Drago posted while I wrote. Seems we agree. (as usual :) )

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:56:26 AM

From what I can tell, the study doesn't claim the differences only start at 10 years old, but rather that that age is when the impact of gender expectations really gets absorbed into a person's behaviour. As the abstract mentions:

Quote:
The period of adolescence (ages 10–19 years) is one of the most critical periods of human development as the health and well-being at this age influences health trajectories with lifelong consequences. While considered among the healthiest period of the lifespan, the period of early adolescence (ages 10–14 years) is also a transitional period in which many health behaviors are acquired
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 1:44:11 PM

Neurons: 3,957

Bolero

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 5:30:45 AM

Neurons: 313,060
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
The concept is very true, but I would say that it begins well before one gets to ten years old - much more so when I was growing up, but even now.

When I was about 5 years old I lived with my grandparents and their youngest daughter. My aunt was a ballerina and kept all sorts of interesting things in the wardrobe. Once I found a wig and I put it on and looked in the mirror - a girl was looking at me, a pretty girl I would say. :) I was scared. Never since then I touched any of her belongings. But she saw me wearing her wig and called me Teresa. And she persisted in that. When I was a student she danced in this ensemble:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhishvili_Georgian_National_Ballet

Whenever they came to Moscow or went abroad and had to stay in Moscow (there wasn't an international airport in Georgia then) she would invite me to the hotel and give me some money as a present. She would say "I do not have time and don't know what you would like so take this, Teresa". And you know what? I didn't mind.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Y111
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 7:56:26 AM

Neurons: 618
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:
But she saw me wearing her wig and called Teresa.
<...>
She would say "I do not have time and don't know what you would like so take this, Teresa".

Oh, so she called you Teresa. I thought she called someone with that name to look at you.
almo 1
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 7:33:37 AM

Nice TV sitcom

Very funny

The Courtship of Eddie's Father

From coments:

"Oh my god this is so sexist "

almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 1:04:02 PM

Good morning, Lotje1000!

Is your Avatar a cat or an owl?

Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 2:41:51 AM

Good morning to you too. The avatar is a cat.