The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

My political opinion of the day Options
philips daughter
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 10:13:54 PM

Neurons: 19,835
The little boy is in critical condition. This is the third day and there is brain swelling. And there other survivors. No one is trying to take all the guns but assault rifles have nothing to do with hunting. Thank God, the man who stopped the gunman had a gun and the Lord held his hand steady but, he only had a rifle. It really seems like a David and Goliath shoot out. Mr. Wilcot Is a true hero.
whatson
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 11:12:13 PM

Neurons: 2,319
[quote=philips daughter. Thank God, the man who stopped the gunman had a gun and the Lord held his hand steady but, he only had a rifle. [/quote]

Verily, philips daughter, one wouldn't have expected such an unrealistic description from you.

In other words the Lord failed to provide the man with a cannon, instead held his hand.

philips daughter
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 12:45:53 AM

Neurons: 19,835
I believe God does his job. It is Congress, our Governor, Jeff Sessions who aren’t doing their jobs. It is the total lack of character in the Texas people that prays to a God who said not to be a murder and yet they allow weapons of mass murder.
TheParser
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 5:22:38 AM

Neurons: 22,062
No. 33

"GRANDPA XI" and "GRANDMA PENG"

1. Arabella, aged 6, is one of President Trump's granddaughters.

2. When the President was in China, he showed a video of Arabella reciting some Chinese verses in Mandarin.

a. She speaks Mandarin well, having learned it from her Chinese nanny.

3. She dedicated the reading to "Grandpa Xi" (President Xi Jinping) and "Grandma Peng" (China's First Lady Peng Liyuan).

4. President Xi gave her performance the highest American mark: A +

5. A Chinese spokeswoman said: "Arabella as a small messenger of Sino-American friendship is deeply loved by the Chinese people."

In my OPINION, all Americans, regardless of political affiliation, were touched by Arabella's sweet and charming gesture.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 12:38:22 PM

Neurons: 149,215
Adding a little humanity into diplomacy can never really be an error.
Nice story.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 6:38:27 AM

Neurons: 804,579
Lotje1000 wrote:
almo 1 wrote:

I wonder what it would be like
if they remove laugh track from sitcom.

People have answered that question for you. Here is Friends without the laugh track. Same thing happened for the Big Bang Theory.

To go a bit further off topic, Saved By the Bell answered this question on its own, with its movie specials. Spoiler: the results were not pretty.

And this is getting off track, but http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/post/31079561065/the-problem-with-the-big-bang-theory helped me feel better about my concerns with Big Bang Theory.

So often I think people look for something to laugh about when they would be much happier if a few things got less unfunny.

And that's what diplomacy, politics, charity, etc. can and should do. We all seem to disagree on how.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 6:50:53 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Nice story.

Thank you.

By the way, Professor Google tells me that "Arabella" is a Scottish name.

Have a great new workweek!
Romany
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 7:09:16 AM

Neurons: 40,018
"Professor" Google is wrong, then.

Though I've never come across a site in which the name Arabella - clearly composed of two "Romance-language" words - is shown as being Scottish. That would mean it would have to be Celtic/Gaelic in origin - which clearly the word "bella", being Italia/Roman, is not.

There are many lovely Scottish names - but they're all from the Scottish language of course. A name clearly cannot originate in a different language to the one spoken in that country. No "foreign" names in any language can come from a country which doesn't speak that language!
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 12:01:19 PM

Neurons: 4,673
Andrew Schultz wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:
almo 1 wrote:

I wonder what it would be like
if they remove laugh track from sitcom.

People have answered that question for you. Here is Friends without the laugh track. Same thing happened for the Big Bang Theory.

To go a bit further off topic, Saved By the Bell answered this question on its own, with its movie specials. Spoiler: the results were not pretty.

And this is getting off track, but http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/post/31079561065/the-problem-with-the-big-bang-theory helped me feel better about my concerns with Big Bang Theory.

So often I think people look for something to laugh about when they would be much happier if a few things got less unfunny.

And that's what diplomacy, politics, charity, etc. can and should do. We all seem to disagree on how.

To go even further off topic, there was a sitcom called "MASH" based on the film set in the Korean War, in America it included a laughter track. However in the UK the BBC showed it with the laughter track removed. To me it made the program seem tragicomic and I enjoyed it a great deal, I dislike the American version with canned laughter.
In fact one episode was shown on BBC2 with the laughter track left on and people rang in to complain, and that episode was transmitted again without it.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
OnTheVerge
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 5:02:28 PM

Neurons: 397,769
TheParser wrote:
No. 4

Several (nice) members have noticed that a certain (not nice) individual calls me anti-gay. They want my comment.

In my OPINION. gays and straights can live together harmoniously if both groups follow these guidelines.

DON"T ASK. Everyone in my ideal society would consider gayness to be a non-issue.

* The police would never hunt down gay men.
* Gay bashers (insecure straight males who beat up gay men) would not exist.
* Churches would never preach anti-gay sermons.
* No organization would presume to "cure" gay people.

DON"T TELL. Gay people would live their lives as happily as they can while staying under the radar.

* They would not ask for gay marriage.
* They would not show affection in public.
* They would not hold annual marches in the street.

I do believe that there are many countries that already come close to my ideal society in regard to this topic.

Well, I'll say this Parser, you don't disappoint. You were doing just fine until you got to the "DON'T TELL" section of your 'small' minded excuse for equal.

* Maybe heterosexuals should not ask to get married?!
* Maybe they should not show affection in public?!
* Maybe they should not hold annual marches in the street!?

You were doing okay, and then your homophobia came shining through like a beacon in the night.
We're sorry that everyone can't, shouldn't and won't live up to your kind and thoughtful (NOT) arrangement of our societal construct d'oh!

The world will never starve for want of wonders, but only for want of people who wonder.
Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 2:47:26 AM

Neurons: 384,309
In TheParser's defence, he never said he wanted equality between gay and straight people. He was just explaining his ideal society where he can live in blissful ignorance.
tunaafi
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 5:13:21 AM

Neurons: 53,498
Lotje1000 wrote:
In TheParser's defence, he never said he wanted equality between gay and straight people. He was just explaining his ideal society where he can live in blissful ignorance.

But his ideal society is one in which gay people do not have the same rights as straight people
.This is discrimination against gay people. It is anti-gay.
Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 5:34:03 AM

Neurons: 384,309
tunaafi wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:

But his ideal society is one in which gay people do not have the same rights as straight people
.This is discrimination against gay people. It is anti-gay.

Definitely.
TheParser
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 7:22:36 AM

No. 34

THE O-WORD

1. If any member or guest ever comes to the United States, please be careful with your language when you speak with an American who has a dog.

2. There are some Americans who are offended by the term "dog owner."

a. They feel that no human being should "own" another living creature.
b. A few people even say that the term "dog owner" is almost as bad as the term "slave owner."

3. Those people prefer that you refer to them as "dog guardians."

a. A few American cities now use that term in legal language.

4. Some people, however, also find "dog guardian" to be offensive.

a. They prefer "pet parent."

In my OPINION, the most appropriate term is "dog owner."

I like dogs so long as they and their owners keep their place (as should everyone).

1. Dogs should always be on a leash in public.
2. Dogs and their owners should be appropriately punished if the dog bites anyone.
3. Dogs should not poop on other people's lawns.
4. Dogs should not bark all night.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 8:47:37 AM

In my opinion (which anyone is quite free to oppose) the idea of calling someone a 'pet parent' is absurd - it would be ludicrous if they were not serious about it (shouldn't laugh at people's ideas).

Of course, when it comes to cats, there is a different story.

There are no 'cat-owners' except a few who forcibly keep a cat caged in a house or apartment. They are equivalent to slave-owners.

Generally there are cats who have pet humans, and other cats who have human bonded servants.
Occasionally, you may find a human/feline partnership - but that's rare!

TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:15:21 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
The idea of calling someone a 'pet parent' is absurd.

I agree 100% with you.

Some Americans have so much time on their hands that they have nothing to do but sit around and think of ways to be offended.

Have a great day!
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:19:19 AM

No. 35

WELCOME HOME, MR. PRESIDENT

1. I join millions of other Americans in welcoming you home from your Asia trip.

2. First, I wish you and your family Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

3. Next, I hope that in 2018, you can do more to become friends with some of the more reasonable and moderate Democrats in the Senate.

a. Most commentators say that President Obama failed to get needed Congressional support because he was too aloof.

b. You, of course, are a very gregarious person. I am sure that you can make more Democratic friends than people imagine.

4. Millions of us want to thank you for your efforts this year.

a. In face of unreasonable opposition and pure hatred on the part of many opponents, you have been trying to do your best for us Americans.

b. I know that you will continue your efforts in 2018.

c. I do think, Sir, that it would help if you could temper your criticism of your opponents. Sometimes it is more effective to ignore them so that they do not get the publicity that they crave.

5. Personally, I look forward to some other foreign visits -- especially a state visit to the United Kingdom, where -- I hear -- there are many people who admire you and support some of your policies.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:26:57 AM

Quote:
. . . the United Kingdom, where -- I hear -- there are many people who admire you and support some of your policies.

That's odd.
I haven't met anyone like that here in Britain.

Well - I guess there are some.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:26:57 AM

Quote:
. . . the United Kingdom, where -- I hear -- there are many people who admire you and support some of your policies.

That's odd.

TheParser
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:35:30 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Since you are one of the more reasonable liberals in these forums, you know:

1. It is not politic in your country to admit liking the President.

2. I believe that there's a party called the United Kingdom Independence Party, whose former leader admires President Trump. I remember reading the party did fairly well in northern England, but it failed to gain any seats in the House of Commons because of the electoral system in your country.

Have a nice day!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:01:30 AM

Ah - you mean UKIP!
Not exactly what you'd call "many people". Though it is about 8% of the population as a whole - actually the same number as the number of foreign-born non-British people living in the UK.

They failed to gain any seats in the House of Commons because of their racist, semi-nazi policies.
Well, there was one Member of Parliament who was a member of UKIP, but he resigned from the party.
He supported the idea of leaving the EU, but not the other more extreme policies.

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 9:46:43 AM

Neurons: 4,673
The MP that was a UKIP member was what we call a crossbencher, he was originally elected as a Conservative but left that party to join UKIP.

Because under our electoral system we vote for the individual that is to be our constituency MP not a representative of a particular party on leaving one party to join another no election was triggered.

Another consequence of this is bye-elections if a particular MP dies or is removed from office there is no line of succession meaning an election for a new MP for the rest of the Parliment is called.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:22:21 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:

their racist policies.

Oh my God!

The R-word again!

I have to be super careful what I say, lest certain individuals go into an emotional meltdown and run weeping to the administrators.

So I will just say this:

Some people would respectfully disagree with you that UKIP's policies are, well, you know.

(Even that one sentence has probably offended certain individuals.)

Change of subject.

The news says that MAYBE (maybe!) President Mugabe of Zimbabwe is finally going to, uh, "retire."

My sources say that for about the first ten years of his 37 years in power, he was a pretty good guy. Really devoted to serving the people. Then came repression and economic ruin.

I had better stop, lest certain individuals start seeing the R-word in those two sentences, too!

Have a nice day!

IMcRout
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:11:37 PM

Neurons: 485,934
Dear Parser,

Thank you so much for your No.35. What a brilliant piece of writing. It reminds me very much of Art Buchwald and his satires published in many American newspapers, among them unfortunately the Washington Post. I am sure he was featured in Reader's Digest, and, as it is not fiction, you might even find some examples in your library.
I do not, however, think Mr. President should temper his criticism of his opponents. Don't you think that this is the very reason people elected him? And what a good thing that he now includes many members of his own party. They need some publicity, too.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)