The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

My political opinion of the day Options
Romany
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 5:16:03 PM

Neurons: 40,018

I think it's very clear by now what kinds of people are represented in that dwindling group who still support this travesty of a Presidency. Parsar's never made a secret of his misogyny and contempt for women. The fact that he finds it "creepy" and horrifying that you asked him to put himself in a woman's place for just one second; speaks very plainly of the kind of man he is.

And there it is above us - splashed out for the world to see. If it cared to do so.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 10:56:38 PM

Neurons: 41,209
My Political Opinion for today - lost track of the number...

I agree with Hawaiian protesters. djt was mad and screamed at Secret Service for allowing them to be there.

Hawaiians greeted djt with "Welcome to Kenya", Aloha also means goodbye, Impeach, and Hawaii 3 Trump 0 referring to the Immigration Ban blocks.

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 4:25:54 AM

Neurons: 22,062
No. 30

BON VOYAGE, MR. PRESIDENT

1. The President and the First Lady have started their visit to Asia.

2. Their trip will take them to Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, China, and the Philippines.

3. President Trump will discuss trade, North Korea, etc.

a. There is also the possibility that the President will meet with President Putin.

4. Since the United States of America is currently the most important and most powerful nation on earth, what President Trump says (and does not say) will be carefully analyzed by all world leaders.

a. When the United States speaks, the world pays attention.

5. In my OPINION, we Americans, our friends, and even our enemies are fortunate that the United States is being led by such a sincere, honest, and fair-minded person as the Honorable Donald J. Trump.

BON VOYAGE, SIR.
tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 4:29:45 AM

Neurons: 53,498
TheParser wrote:
In my OPINION, we Americans, our friends, and even our enemies are fortunate that the United States is being led by such a sincere, honest, and fair-minded person as the Honorable Donald J. Trump.

Wow! You really have flipped.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 5:05:18 AM

So a (by his own admission) not very clever, not well educated old man somewhere in a foreign country is locked into either increasing senility or complete inability to comprehend reality?

The more he exposes of his dementia the more we should, really, just avert our eyes. Any more posts like the ridiculous one recently written display the fact that Parsar is no longer aware of what's happening around him. His silly, parroted statements are like a child begging for attention from the grown ups.
Robert Mandava
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 8:35:11 AM

Neurons: 970
Hope123 wrote:
President Trump is telling the world that America is not going to honor an agreement that Iran has not violated, pushing down America's already low level of credibility in the world even further.

President Trump called the Iran deal ”an embarrassment to the United States.”

He doesn't like it because Obama negotiated it.

Diplomats from France, Germany, the U.K. and the E.U. in Washington on Monday supported the deal, and warned against Trump's efforts to scuttle it.

They say it is working as it is and it will not be reopened. That would send the message to North Korea and other countries that diplomacy is not reliable.

Reports have surfaced that Trump will refuse to certify to Congress next month that Iran is in compliance with the deal.

Without European, Chinese, and Russian support, Trump will have to go it alone in re-introducing sanctions on Iranian oil, and “will be forced to use unilateral measures that would probably prove ineffective at choking Tehran’s economy.

From “Foreign Policy” app.

Mafirakureva
Robert Mandava
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 8:37:14 AM

Neurons: 970
Romany wrote:

I think it's very clear by now what kinds of people are represented in that dwindling group who still support this travesty of a Presidency. Parsar's never made a secret of his misogyny and contempt for women. The fact that he finds it "creepy" and horrifying that you asked him to put himself in a woman's place for just one second; speaks very plainly of the kind of man he is.

And there it is above us - splashed out for the world to see. If it cared to do so.

Mafirakureva
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 2:52:51 PM

Neurons: 4,324
TheParser wrote:
English ex-pat in Czech Republic wrote:
... if I had thrust my tongue down your throat and pressed my crotch against yours.

Dear Friends:

Thank you for demanding that I read and reply to that individual's post.

Oh - My - God!

I never thought that such an obscene and perverted comment (as quoted above) would ever appear at this family-oriented website.

Out of sympathy for his family, I am constrained from pursing the obvious psychological implications of that individual's filthy remarks directed toward me.

Oh - My - God!

That is unbelievably dirty expression, indeed.

tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 5:24:09 PM

almo 1 wrote:

You must live a very sheltered life.

The act itself is foul, but the description of it was in perfectly acceptable words

Andrew Schultz
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 5:52:42 PM

Neurons: 804,579
I'm not sure The_Parser's latest opinions deserve a direct answer. It's a bunch of trivial facts anyone would know by looking at the news, plus something totally unrelated at the end.

So I'll look back a bit. I'm amused that The_Parser

1. calls the TV show Friends very funny
2. rails against Hollywood

To me, Friends is some of the most insipid trash ever to disgrace the screen. How the heck did it last that many seasons, when other better shows didn't? It's not what's most wrong with Hollywood, but it's what's most obviously wrong.

Perhaps an alternate way to explain to The_Parser about sexual harrassment, if he wishes to understand, is this:

1. The_Parser really doesn't like getting PMs on the forum. When he asked people to stop, they did.
2. Many women in Hollywood really don't like being touched in certain places or propositioned. When they ask certain powerful men to stop, they don't. When they ask men to stop texting them inappropriately, the men don't. They probably get a lot of compliments that feel insincere or are sexually charged, and it's not so easy to tell someone to stop. "Take a joke!" / "It comes with the territory!" This happens to non-actresses too.
3. If someone is treated badly enough they have little choice but to leave an online community they enjoyed, that is sad and wrong. But if someone is treated badly enough in real life, there's also the specter of personal safety. The_Parser is very worried about the safety of people who, say, walk out at night in the big city. Why not of the women who have had to deal with powerful men who are not only physically bigger than them but can ruin their career? Looking back, there were so many actresses who seemed very talented who "just wanted to explore other things." That phrase means something different, looking back, and that's sad.

I don't know what it's like to be a woman. But I know I cringe reading articles about "actress X may be losing it, here's an unflattering shot" or "Top 100 most desirable ladies." It must be much, much worse for the subject if this sort of thing is directed at them, from a person or a group of people.

Now, I can't make The_Parser empathize with others. But if that is an opinion thread, here is mine.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 6:33:59 PM

Andrew Schultz wrote:
The_Parser is very worried about the safety of people who, say, walk out at night in the big city. Why not of the women who have had to deal with powerful men who are not only physically bigger than them but can ruin their career?

If you look back at some of TheParser's posts not long after he joined the forum, you will see his explicitly stated belief that women should 'know their place'. Knowing their place seems to involve, speaking, dressing and behaving in a demure and lady-like fashion. Only by doing so can women gain the respect of their fathers, brothers and fair-minded people.

In more recent times, in his defence of pussy-gropers from POTUS down, and in his vilification of their victims, The Parser has made it clear that, in his opinion, men have a god-given right to satisfy their lusts; women must be prepared to spread their lips and legs, and not complain.
Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 2:53:54 AM

Neurons: 384,309
tunaafi wrote:
Andrew Schultz wrote:
The_Parser is very worried about the safety of people who, say, walk out at night in the big city. Why not of the women who have had to deal with powerful men who are not only physically bigger than them but can ruin their career?

If you look back at some of TheParser's posts not long after he joined the forum, you will see his explicitly stated belief that women should 'know their place'. Knowing their place seems to involve, speaking, dressing and behaving in a demure and lady-like fashion. Only by doing so can women gain the respect of their fathers, brothers and fair-minded people.

In more recent times, in his defence of pussy-gropers from POTUS down, and in his vilification of their victims, The Parser has made it clear that, in his opinion, men have a god-given right to satisfy their lusts; women must be prepared to spread their lips and legs, and not complain.

We already know that TheParser finds it perfectly justified to vilify "a certain ethnicity" of people in America because of personal experience. As such, he won't even go into an elevator with a black person. By that reasoning, he must fully support women no longer trust any man and must applaud any woman who no longer wants to get into an elevator with TheParser again.
TheParser
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 5:09:35 AM

almo 1 wrote:

Thank you, Almo, for your comment.

That is why I absolutely refuse to allow that individual's posts to appear on my computer screen.

Have a nice day!
TheParser
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 5:30:34 AM

Andrew Schultz wrote:

To me, Friends is some of the most insipid trash ever to disgrace the screen.

Good morning, Mr. Schultz:

I am replying because -- being the fair-minded person that I am -- you ARE somewhat different from all the other "liberals."

They just keep repeating the same old "liberal" talking points and repeat the same old personal insults. YAWN!

That is why I do not read or reply to those individuals' posts.

You DO try to be somewhat civil and rational, which is very unusual in this forum.

If any advanced learners are reading this forum, they should pay attention to your words "To me."

In other words, in your opinion "Friends" is trash.

To me, it is one of the funniest shows that have ever appeared on TV. (I understand that it has many fans in China. I wonder how some of the humor is expressed in the Chinese language. I suspect that certain nuances cannot be expressed.)

A sense of humor is, I guess, dependent on one's personal experiences in life.

There are some people who do not have a sense of humor.

For example, there is one individual in these forums who will go ballistic if you kid him about his user name. That is a very telling sign about him.

TheParser
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 5:45:09 AM

No. 31

MORE OR FEWER BABIES?

1. Pope Francis has just again called on Europeans to have more babies.

a. Back in 2014, the Pope had compared the European Union to a tired "grandmother, no longer fertile and vibrant."

2. Prince William (the United Kingdom) has just said in a speech that the world needs fewer babies.

a. He is especially concerned that the "future of wildlife is under threat from rapid population growth."

b. He believes that the earth does not have the capacity to "sustain us all."

In my OPINION, we should all be grateful to the Holy Father and to His Royal Highness for raising their influential voices.

I agree 100% with their points of view.
tunaafi
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 7:24:26 AM

TheParser wrote:

I agree 100% with their points of view.

So you agree both that we should have more babies and that we should have fewer babies?
Romany
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 8:12:54 AM

Indeed: The Pope says we should have more babies, William says we should have less ....... and Parsar agrees with both - 100%?

Talk about cognitive dissonance!!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 8:45:24 AM

Neurons: 296,258
Rom and Tuna,
should I go to poop or do some somersault?
Whistle

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Y111
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 9:24:50 AM

Neurons: 628
The Pope spoke about more babies in Europe, and the prince about fewer babies in the entire world. Are both possible? Of course, why not?
tunaafi
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 9:46:30 AM

Y111 wrote:
The Pope spoke about more babies in Europe, and the prince about fewer babies in the entire world. Are both possible? Of course, why not?

Ah, I see. We need more Europeans and fewer of everybody else.
philips daughter
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 12:17:06 PM

Neurons: 19,835
I think if the Europeans had never, ever invaded the American continent I would be happy. From Columbus to French, English, Danish, Swedish hadn’t imported their violent natures, it would be a better place. At least, it would still be my country. So please. Keep your white people.

Y111
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 12:57:15 PM

Neurons: 628
But in that case you would not even exist.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 7:34:15 AM

Neurons: 296,258
The Asians invaded America long before Europeans ;-)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 8:08:45 AM

No. 32

PRESIDENT TRUMP MEETS THE EMPEROR

1. When President Trump was in Japan, he met the Emperor and Empress.

2. He did not bow. He nodded.

3. When President Obama had met the Emperor, he bowed very low.

a. Some Americans criticized President Obama for doing so.

4. After the meeting ended, President Trump then shook hands with the Emperor and even tapped the Emperor's arm.

5. In my OPINION:

a. I think that President Obama acted appropriately when he bowed low.

b. I think that President Trump acted appropriately when he just nodded.

c. I think that President Trump should NOT have shaken hands with or tapped the arm of the Emperor (Japanese guests never do).

6. Being a very shy, timid, and docile soul myself, I love ceremony and ritual.

a. I will always remember reading about one high-ranking Japanese official before World War II who would approach the emperor dragging one foot behind himself in order to show servility. Keeping one's place is wonderful. There is so much crime in my country (and a few very rude posters in these forums) because many people no longer keep their place.
b. I hope that President Trump will get a chance for a state visit to the United Kingdom. How great it would be to see the President riding with the Queen in the state coach as thousands of Brits cheer the procession.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 8:49:54 AM

"How great it would be to see the President riding with the Queen in the state coach as thousands of Brits cheer the procession."

It is honestly so difficult to imagine a mature, elderly man - who lives in the same world as the rest of us - could even think such a thing, let alone embarrass his "friends" by putting such a ridiculous statement on a public forum!

The State Coach!! For a crude vulgarian who besmirches everything he touches? I think everyone from the Queen down would rather see it smashed to bits that to let this dim-witted thug anywhere near it.

"as thousands of Brits cheer..." Mate. Thousands of Brits have already signalled what they would do to prevent this criminal even touching down in one of our airports.(Don't you EVER watch any news except Fox?) And it isn't, by any stretch of a fevered imagination, cheering!
Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 8:56:10 AM

Should it ever come to pass, I would love to see thousands of stony-faced onlookers, occasionally exasperatedly tutting at one another.
tunaafi
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 9:19:15 AM

TheParser wrote:
There is so much crime in my country [...] because many people no longer keep their place.

Anxious
whatson
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 9:44:33 AM

Neurons: 2,319
ISayThis: The White House Scarecrow couldn't bow,
or the hair-arrangement would have become undone.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 10:51:57 PM

Neurons: 804,579
Hi The_Parser...

On the subject of Friends, it's what kids these days call "lifestyle porn," and so I don't know if people like the characters so much as the sort of idealized New York where even not having enough money to buy everything you want is a bit of a joke, and you may not have a ton of money, but you always have enough to visit an overpriced coffee shop or whatever. It's not too crowded, but there are enough people around never to be bored. Even the problems of living in the city get a one-off joke, then it's on to the next thing to joke about. Plus the characters seem a bit too cheery or bounce back too easily.

So I can see why people would like it, especially people who might not live in the US. I know that McDonald's hamburgers were the sort of thing that helped people living under Communism circa 1990 say, hey, we like the US and the freedom it gives. There are better burgers, but it's way better than--well, the sort of food you generally got under Communism. And if there IS something even better, then wow.

Plus the whole Ross/Rachel thing just dragged on too long and rubbed me the wrong way.

Friends is a step above Beverly Hills 90210 (aigh) and Sex and the City, but I felt the jokes didn't risk enough. It felt like small talk to me, and I don't like small talk. I tend to prefer shows with characters you might not like immediately, or you might not like in real life, but you grow to like them.

Also, it had a laugh track. I like being able to decide when to laugh. I like jokes that I don't get the first time, then...oh, I get it, geez, how'd I miss that?

This is another way I see Friends's comedy: as jollying along, not quite humor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhiItOzlhu4 ... I feel like a lot of comedies say "laugh already, don't be a poor sport," instead of backing off and giving me an opportunity to look at things a new way and laugh. Or they take a cheap quick-laugh perspective on current jokes.

Now I think we need temporary reprieves. And we need jokes we come back to. But I also think it's the sort of thing we should get first-hand, with friends we know, and when it's on a TV show it feels artificial. You can't be new all the time, and you'd go crazy trying, but people can fall into ruts where they just laugh at the same old things and don't try anything new.

CS Lewis had a quote about how things that try to seem the most grown up are often the most childish, and Friends feels that way to me. On the flip side there's Spongebob Squarepants, which doesn't seem especially mature, but we can learn from the characters even with the obvious mistakes they make, and it has a ton of jokes you don't notice the first time. Well, I didn't.

Also, I imagine you've seen that scene in Airplane? This is after the "you can't be serious" joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wxp-NxJny8&feature=youtu.be&t=82

Anyway... hope you find this interesting, and if our opinions differ, you (or others) see where I'm coming from.

Err...back to politics, now?

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 4:51:21 AM

Andrew - before doing so a comment on Friends which will either amuse you or make you groan.

In China - and other parts of Asia - Friends was by far the most popular foreign TV show. (Followed by, strangely enough, Prison Break). And I soon learned that everything my students "knew" about foreigners was based on Friends. * We'd be discussing some point and they'd say "Yeah - but you believe......." "What??" "We know. Because Joey said......".

The funniest thing, to me, was that in Singapore people used to call me the name of one of the characters, who they all said I was "just like".As this character was tall and had long blond hair; whereas I'm small with short, pink hair, it used to amuse me greatly! When it wasn't horrifying me.

*Also on Home Alone. This has resulted in Westerners getting a bad rep. in regards their kids. It is now widely believed that we care so little for our children we all regularly jet off to unknown places and forget to take our kids!!
almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 8:32:06 AM

Neurons: 4,324

There is no accounting for taste.

Friends was not my taste.

Family Ties was much much better.

All in The Family is my favorite sitcom too,
no matter if it is liberal or conservative.

I wonder what it would be like
if they remove laugh track from sitcom.

Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 8:52:29 AM

almo 1 wrote:

I wonder what it would be like
if they remove laugh track from sitcom.

People have answered that question for you. Here is Friends without the laugh track. Same thing happened for the Big Bang Theory.
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 8:54:07 AM

almo 1 wrote:

There is no accounting for taste.

That is for sure!

Well, please excuse me. I have to get ready for another "encore" (repeat) episode of "Friends" that will soon be starting.

(One actress gets somewhat annoyed when people constantly refer to her 10 years on that show. She has tried to move on to establish herself as a movie star. Some people feel that it AIN'T going to happen!)

P.S. Dear Advanced Learners: It's OK to occasionally use "ain't" in a humorous way. Otherwise, never use it!
philips daughter
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 7:01:09 PM

Neurons: 19,835
There wasn’t anything the police in Texas could have done to stop Devin Kelly last Sunday when he walked into the Southerland Springs until he started shooting and killing 26 people. In Texas anyone with a license (which is so easy to get) can walk the street with a loaded semi-assault rifle. Until he started shooting the state of Texas wouldn’t protect their citizens. This was so easy to see coming. That it happened so close to me is stunning and frightening. Not for me but I have grandchildren that go to school with some of those kids. My oldest son was a flight paramedic flying people out. He wasn’t the one who flew out the little boy who was almost cut in half by the bullets. Those first responders may never heal from this. How can this go on? When will it stop? Can you believe this. Right this minute the Vice President, Governor, Ted Cruz are going to a “prayer service” where my kids go to school. They closed schools, there are more cops than residents. They make me sick.

I may get in trouble for this🤔
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 8:41:27 PM

Neurons: 41,209
I am so sorry, Philips Daughter, for all the preventable anguish for all involved.

Edited - There is no way you would ever be in trouble for telling it like it is.

That poor little boy and first responders - that is exactly what these supporters of allowing assault rifles on shoulders need to hear to take it from a purely academic level to thinking of what they would support if it happens - or when it happens - to them or their loved ones. Would they still think prayers are enough? They make me sick too.

Any news on that boy or others who survived? Meanwhile life goes on for everyone else.

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.