The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Should there be a comma after 'Plan'? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:39:13 PM

Neurons: 10,810
In fact, in A Promise to the Residents: SDP's Town Council Management Plan which we launched in 2015, the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) spell out specifically how we will run town councils more effectively than the PAP by being transparent, accountable and genuinely consultative with the residents.

Should there be a comma after 'Plan'?

Thanks.
leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:03:00 AM

Neurons: 25,782
Koh Elaine wrote:
In fact, in A Promise to the Residents: SDP's Town Council Management Plan which we launched in 2015, the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) spell out specifically how we will run town councils more effectively than the PAP by being transparent, accountable and genuinely consultative with the residents.

Thanks.

There could be, but I think this is easier to read without one.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Koh Elaine
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:36:47 AM

Thanks, leon.
Chazlee
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 2:09:42 AM

Neurons: 3,954
leonAzul wrote:
Koh Elaine wrote:

Thanks.

There could be, but I think this is easier to read without one.

leon, I respectfully disagree with you. I think that there should be a comma after "plan," because the words which immediately follow plan, "which we launched in 2015," are not needed for the sentence to make sense to the reader. They give information which, if left off, would not make any difference. I would say that this is similar to someone writing the following sentence.

My sister Mary, who was married in 2013, recently purchased a 3 bedroom home in Florida.

Knowing when Mary was married makes no difference to the sentence at all. So, since it can be left off, then it becomes almost like an piece of information that neither enhances or distracts from the main idea of the sentence. Thus, I would use a "comma" after "plan" in the original sentence.

Peace.
Chazlee.

Koh Elaine
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 4:38:59 AM

Thanks, Chazlee.