The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Walter Becker (1950-2017) Options
coag
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 11:49:00 PM

Neurons: 4,815
I red today that Walter Becker, a Steely Dan member, died. He was 67

I didn't know Walter Becker's name but I knew him from Steely Dan photos.

Steely Dan created outstanding music. My favorite songs are:
1. Rikki Don't Lose That Number (I like the solo at 3:00)
2. Do it Again

I've never been able to find out the meaning of lyrics "We can go out driving on Slow Hand Row" in Rikki Don't Lose That Number. Does someone know what this means?

I thought recently about the Steely Dan song FM (No Static at All). I read that, I think it's Norway, will soon discontinue frequency modulated (FM) radio. I guess they are switching to digital radio. FM radio once was a new technology, it had advantages over AM radio, and now it's being replaced with something new, something better. The thought that came to my mind was, the end of an era.

Sixty seven is a short human life.
philips daughter
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 12:24:18 AM

Neurons: 19,969
I love all their songs. Since I heard about his passing, Reeling In The Years has been playing in my head. RIP, old friend.
almo 1
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 2:27:44 AM

Neurons: 4,628
philips daughter wrote:
I love all their songs.

Me,too!

almo 1
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 2:30:43 AM

coag wrote:

I've never been able to find out the meaning of lyrics "We can go out driving on Slow Hand Row" in Rikki Don't Lose That Number. Does someone know what this means?

I rarely delve into the meaning of songs,
just listening and feeling good.

But this is my favorite site I sometimes visit.

From comments:

"I always thought this was about a guy trying to convince a girl at a party to take drugs. She is already drunk and not in the mood to party ("you might use it if you feel better/when you get home") so he gives her his phone number in case she is interested in trying drugs at a later point. This would explain the lyric "It's the only one you want" - i.e., don't get your drugs from somebody else that you might not trust. This would still be compatible I think with the identification of Rikki as Rikki Ducornet if the character singing is Becker or Fagen."

"My interpretation: A young, well-to-do girl, Rikki, goes away for the summer on vacation, stays at some kind of resort, meets and falls in love with a slightly older, exciting but poor guy (maybe he works at the resort). She loses her virginity to him but then becomes conflicted ("you tell yourself you're not my kind") because she has a preppy boyfriend back home. "You don't even know your mind"--the good little rich girl who does what her parents tell her. "We heard you're leaving"; employees at the resort know she's heading home. "I have a friend in town, he's heard your name"--because she's from a wealthy family that everyone knows, so now the singer of the song is aware of who she is, too. Rikki thinks she just wants to go back to how simple life was before she took this vacation, safe with the old boyfriend, but when she gets home, she "could have a change of heart" and want to call the singer of the song. This song was popular in the summer; this is the story my mind built around it. No way it's sung about a guy or is number referring to a joint."

There are more comments.

thorn262
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 10:40:12 AM

Neurons: 2,540
Re: ‘meanings,’ ‘interpretations,’ etc., I just heard an obit for Walter Becker. The Dan attitude (the Danitude?) is that you catch the songs at whatever level you’re at: sometimes profound – Homer, the Aeneid; sometimes Beat-Era sly, with slithy toves; and sometimes...just a song, but with their signature alluring funky-jazz-grooves (and those going back to the times of 50’s Sinatra, or 20’s Duke Ellington, et al.). Like the best of artists, they made little to no claim for ‘authentic takes’ on how everyone ‘should’ hear Steely Dan music. In this way, I’d take this quote to be especially valid for SD, as well. Just insert ‘music’ for ‘film’:

"I would not think of quarreling with your interpretation nor offering any other, as I have found it always the best policy to allow the film to speak for itself."

Stanley Kubrick

Tom Moon on wunc.org: Walter Becker Was A Master Of Musical Understatement
taurine
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 11:36:29 AM

Neurons: 54,528
I never heard about a name Rikki
almo 1
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 12:00:32 PM

taurine wrote:
I never heard about a name Rikki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rikki-Tikki-Tavi