The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Thou know'st the o'er-eager vehemence of youth,
How quick in temper, and in judgment weak.
Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 64,404

Homer (900 BC-800 BC)
KSPavan
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 1:51:15 AM

Neurons: 1,877,533
Quotation of the Day

Homer (900 BC-800 BC)
Cest moi Aussi
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 7:53:35 AM

Neurons: 181,995
I find it a bit ironic that when I clicked on the contractions, "know'st" and "o'er-eager", I received the message, "not found." I realize they are out of usage, these days, but I rather expected more.
thar
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 8:19:19 AM

Neurons: 62,577
I find it amusing that the words of an Ancient Greek, which for all I know may have been written in the most modern street slang, are translated in 1865 in in a fossilised style that had gone out of style centuries earlier at the time of Shakespeare and the KJV!

It adds gravitas, it seems.

Quote:

Bryant, 1905
“Thou dost know
The faults to which the young are ever prone;
The will is quick to act, the judgment weak”;

Graves1959
“It is easy for a youngster to go wrong from hastiness and lack of thought”;

Fitzgerald, 1974,
“You know a young man may go out of bounds: / his wits are nimble, but his judgment slight.”

Me, 2017
"You know teenagers are mouthy, touchy and do stupid stuff".

Why isn't that translation quoted? Whistle

I am not arguing against it. I find the language beautiful.
But the false profundity imbued by writing it in archaic language is amusing.
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 8:43:58 AM

Neurons: 21,047
Daemon wrote:

If one reads the posts in a certain forum, it is obvious that a lot of very old people, too, are also "quick in temper, and in judgment weak."
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 9:16:13 AM

Neurons: 122,595
Daemon wrote:

Homer (900 BC-800 BC)

The energy of youth is a great thing when being funnelled into something meaningful…
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 9:35:09 AM

Neurons: 37,288
Homer, principal figure of ancient Greek literature; the first European poet.
Works, Life, and Legends

Two epic poems are attributed to Homer, the Iliad and the Odyssey. They are composed in a literary type of Greek, Ionic in basis with Aeolic admixtures. Ranked among the great works of Western literature, these two poems together constitute the prototype for all subsequent Western epic poetry.

The "Homeric question" was the great dispute of scholarship in the 19th cent. Scholars tried to analyze the two works by various tests, usually to show that they were strung together from older narrative poems. Recent evidence strongly suggests that the Iliad is the work of a single poet. Modern scholars are generally agreed that there was a poet named Homer who lived before 700 B.C., probably in Asia Minor, and that the Iliad and the Odyssey are each the product of one poet's work, developed out of older legendary matter. Some assign the Odyssey to a poet who lived slightly after the author of the Iliad.

Legends about Homer were numerous in ancient times. He was said to be blind. His birthplace has always been disputed, but Chios or Smyrna seem most likely. The study of Homer was required of all Greek students in antiquity, and his heroes were worshiped in many parts of Greece. The Iliad and the Odyssey are composed in dactylic hexameter and are of nearly the same length. The Homeric Hymns

were falsely attributed to Homer.
The Iliad

Divided into 24 books, the Iliad tells of the wrath of Achilles

and its tragic consequences, an episode in the Trojan War

. The action is in several sections. Achilles quarrels with Agamemnon over possession of the captive woman Briseis, and Achilles retires from the war to sulk in his tent. The Greek position gradually weakens until Agamemnon

offers amendment to Achilles (Books I–IX). Book X tells of an expedition by Odysseus and Diomedes leading to Greek reverses in the war. Thereupon Patroclus, Achilles' friend, is inspired to go into battle wearing Achilles' armor. He is killed by Hector

(Books XI–XVII).

Book XVIII tells of the visit of Thetis, mother of Achilles, to comfort her grieving son and of the forging of new armor by Hephaestus for Achilles. Achilles then determines to avenge his friend, kills Hector, buries Patroclus, and finally, at the entreaty of Priam, gives Hector's body to the Trojan hero's aged father (Books XIX–XXIV). The Iliad is a highly unified work, splendid in its dramatic action. Written in a simple yet lofty style, it contains many perceptive characterizations that make exalted personages like Hector and Achilles believable as human beings.
The Odyssey

The Odyssey is written in 24 books and begins nearly ten years after the fall of Troy. In the first part, Telemachus, Odysseus' son, visits Nestor

at Pylos and Menelaus

at Sparta, seeking news of his absent father. He tells them of the troubles of his mother, Penelope, who is beset by mercenary suitors. Menelaus informs him that his father is with the nymph Calypso (Books I–IV). The scene then shifts to Mt. Olympus with an account of Zeus' order to Calypso to release Odysseus, who then builds a raft and sails to Phaeacia. There he is entertained by King Alcinoüs and his daughter Nausicaä; he relates to them the story of his wanderings in which he has encountered Polyphemus, Aeolus, Circe, Scylla and Charybdis, the Sirens, the Laestrygones, and the lotus-eaters (Books V–XII).

Dramatic tension mounts with the return of Odysseus and Telemachus to Ithaca; together they plan and execute the death of the suitors. Afterward Odysseus makes himself known to his wife and his father, with whose aid he repulses the suitors' angry kinsmen. Athena intervenes, peace is restored, and Odysseus once again rules his country (Books XIII–XXIV). The atmosphere of adventure and fate in the Odyssey contrasts with the heavier tone and tragic gran

with my pleasure
FX2
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 4:14:00 PM

Neurons: 12,012
Ancient language is amazing! it sounds like art.Boo hoo!
NELDCES
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 4:34:04 PM

Neurons: 4,584
Homer, principal figure of ancient Greek literature; the first European poet.
Works, Life, and Legends

I really like Homer when I was in school. It was one of my favorites although I did not understand much due to the language, an ancient language.

monamagda
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 5:13:43 PM

Neurons: 3,522,301
HOMER, The Iliad,

Book 23,

Lines 677–78,

The Death of Hector.The Redemption of the Body of Hector.
Funeral Games in Honour of Patroclus.

(Achilles and the Myrmidons do honour to the body of Patroclus. After the funeral feast he retires to the sea-shore, where, falling asleep, the ghost of his friend appears to him, and demands the rites of burial: the next morning the soldiers are sent with mules and waggons to fetch wood for the pyre. The funeral procession, and the offering their hair to the dead. Achilles sacrifices several animals, and lastly, twelve Trojan captives, at the pile; then sets fire to it. He pays libations to the winds, which (at the instance of Iris) rise, and raise the flame. When the pile has burned all night, they gather the bones, place them in an urn of gold, and raise the tomb. Achilles institutes the funeral games: the chariot-race, the fight of the caestus, the wrestling, the footrace, the single combat, the discus, the shooting with arrows, the darting the javelin: the various descriptions of which, and the various success of the several antagonists, make the greatest part of the book.

In this book ends the thirtieth day: the night following, the ghost of Patroclus appears to Achilles: the one-and-thirtieth day is employed in felling the timber for the pile; the two-and-thirtieth in burning it; and the three-and-thirtieth in the games. The scene is generally on the sea-shore.)

"Antilochus, till now reputed wise,
What hast thou done? thou hast impugn'd my skill,
And sham'd my horses, who hast brought thine own,
Inferior far, before them to the goal.
But come, ye chiefs and councillors of Greece,
Judge ye between us, fav'ring neither side:
That none of all the brass-clad Greeks may say
That Menelaus hath by false reports
O'erborne Antilochus, and holds his prize:
His horses fairly worsted, and himself
Triumphant only by superior pow'r.
Or come now, I myself will judgment give;
Nor deem I any Greek will find to blame
In my decision, for 'tis fair and just.
Antilochus, come forward, noble chief;
And standing, as 'tis meet, before the car
And horses, in thy hand the slender whip
Wherewith thou drov'st, upon the horses lay
Thy hand, and by Earth-shaking Neptune swear
That not of malice, and by set design,
Thou didst by fraud impede my chariot's course."
To whom Antilochus with prudent speech:
"Have patience with me yet; for I, O King,
O Menelaus, am thy junior far;
My elder and superior thee I own.
Thou know'st th' o'er-eager vehemence of youth,

Set then thy heart at ease; the mare I won
I freely give; and if aught else of mine
Thou shouldst desire, would sooner give it all,
Than all my life be low'r'd, illustrious King,
In thine esteem, and sin against the Gods."
Thus saying, noble Nestor's son led forth,
And plac'd in Menelaus' hands the mare:
The monarch's soul was melted, like the dew
Which glitters on the ears of growing corn,
That bristle o'er the plain; e'en so thy soul,
O Menelaus, melted at his speech;
To whom were thus address'd thy winged words:
"Antilochus, at once I lay aside
My anger; thou art prudent, and not apt
To be thus led astray; but now thy youth
Thy judgment hath o'erpow'r'd; seek not henceforth
By trick'ry o'er thine elders to prevail.
To any other man of all the Greeks
I scarce so much had yielded; but for that
Thyself hast labour'd much, and much endur'd,
Thou, thy good sire, and brother, in my cause:
I yield me to thy pray'rs; and give, to boot,
The mare, though mine of right; that these may know
I am not of a harsh, unyielding mood."

https://www.infoplease.com/iliadby-homer-14