The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

FYI - Wind and solar cut air pollution deaths - stats Options
Hope123
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 3:18:37 PM

Neurons: 41,256
FYI - I know I’m preaching to the choir now re benefits of technology for climate change, but I was pleased to see this data that just came out according to TED Talks, and thought you might like to know too.

Wind and solar cut air pollution deaths
Harnessing the power of the wind and sunshine doesn’t require burning anything to generate electricity, making for cleaner energy. But how much cleaner? New research suggests that the wind turbines and solar panels installed in the US between 2007 and 2015 prevented as many as 12,700 early deaths, due to a reduction in air pollution, as well as saving the economy at least $30 billion. That suggests renewable energy is both cleaner and greener.

And it is now cheaper than coal with jobs being created in those greener fields.

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2017 12:21:27 PM

Neurons: 66,755
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Good Research, Hope123.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Romany
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 1:22:55 PM

Neurons: 40,092
I too think that's great and a step in the right direction.

But I also think it's a tragedy - as we're seeing now - that all the research and the information that the rest of the world has already tested and has in operation, hasn't resulted in even the most basic of climate change initiatives already being in place or on-going in Houston etc.

This isn't a 'political' opinion but a human one: what I'm saying is - for whatever the reason - "natural events" occur. Tov & ! - and I expect Kerry too have been through one or two of those in our time. They're indescribably devastating.

But knowing that they're increasing in severity and occurrence, it's doubly tragic that a) more money hasn't been siphoned off to address future occurrences, b) Federal programmes all over the country haven't been put in place for pre-preparation i.e. not just preparing for the next one, but for the next 50 years, c) the people themselves aren't aware of all the measures that *can* be taken.

As I said - not political in the sense of assigning blame. But a general feeling of indignation at venal politicians, or Municipalities, or corporations, who benefit themselves more than the people for whose best interests they're all supposed to be working!

TMe
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 1:42:51 AM

Neurons: 3,127
Apart from its own rotation, the earth revolves round( around?) the sun at a speed of 30KMs per second(107000 Kms per hour).
I wonder how come the environment/atmosphere also moves along with all the impurities like carbon , dust, gases and the like.

https://youtu.be/l64YwNl1wr0

I am a layman.
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 4:57:54 AM

Neurons: 39,682
We are having an energy crisis down here, the forecast and forward planning is a mess.

I have been having a discussion with Thar on another post on renewable energy and coping with renewables.

The entire solar panels and wind turbines generate 5% of the overall energy required, and State Governments have been shutting down coal generators state by state.

South Australia suffered an extreme weather occurrence and the wind turbines shut down as the winds were too strong, their storage was inadequate and diesel generators in

their main hospital failed, they lost their fertility clinics contents.

They are aiming for a 50% renewable target and the cost of running renewables is being added to electricity bills.

People in most states cannot afford to either turn on the lights or heating and cooling.

Energy companies can buy Australian gas cheaper from Asia than locally.

Some of our politicians past and present, are dreadful horse traders.

Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 12:19:25 AM

Hope, I am interested in your comment of savings of $30 billion to the US governments with solar and wind.

Down here these two are highly subsided (by the Federal Government to the States) especially wind, its our most expensive electricity generation.

Yes it is a given that these two forms of generation would cut down pollution and we have all seen the pollution in Beijing before the Olympics.

The current Fed Government has implemented The Snowey Mountains Hydro #2 that will add more hydro electricity to the grid, as well as storage which seems to be the saviour

when the wind doesn't blow or the sun doesn't shine, however this will not be in operation for another 6 years.

All these great schemes dont help the Pensioners who cant afford to use electricity and go to bed mid afternoon so they dont have to heat their living room, or the people

who are using candles instead of power and starting house fires.

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 11:04:34 AM

Neurons: 41,256
Tov, I believe the savings was in healthcare costs, and "an avoidance of a range of problems". This link to the info is not the story I orginally saw but it will do.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/us-wind-power-solar-energy-renewables-prevent-12700-deaths-2015-clean-air-climate-change-a7894066.html

The researchers, led by Dr Dev Millstein of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, also estimated the increased generation of renewable energy was worth between $5.3bn and $106.8bn in “cumulative climate benefits” over the same period.

These include “changes to agricultural productivity, energy use, losses from disasters such as floods, human health and general ecosystem services”.

It seems your government did not do its homework in planning? Ours too?

CDNs are complaining about the cost of electricity too so the Ontario government in an election bid just gave a sop to them by holding the price down for ten years at which point it will rise dramatically for twenty years. Making the next generation pay for our mistakes. And that has been the problem for years. We have never paid the true cost of hydro even when it was coal fired as the govt always held the price down. Hydro One got into a huge debt for which we are now trying to pay as well as paying for the new technology. But to look out the window and see no smog over the lake is a huge benefit when we could not even see the lake many days because of smog.

Edited - To be able to breathe in Southern Ontario is even better. We actually moved to Northern Ontario to get out of the smog as it was affecting my health but we are now back in Southern Ontario. That is another reason why we are so upset about Trump's lowering of the regulations about emissions because the winds bring up the smog from the US (as well as what we create ourselves). Emissions also help to pollute the Great Lakes. We are glad the admin did not allow him to cut the funds for cleaning up the Great Lakes - last I heard.

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 10:41:53 PM

Yes Hope, air polution has a great effect on the respiratory system, I believe inhaling vehicle emissions in the city is equivalent to a pack a day in the bush.

Australian exports of uranium to Japan, coal to China and India seems hypocritical to me, not in my back yard mentality.

I understand that poorer regions in India need electricity to raise them out of poverty, but there are many people here of lower income or

fixed income need assistance with the costs of power.

I believe Australia emits 1% of world emissions.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/graph-of-the-day-australian-retail-electricity-prices-in-2020-2020/