Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

wanker Options
almo 1
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 6:25:41 AM

Neurons: 3,524

Hello there!

What does "wanker" mean?

quote:
"And this wanker wanted the whole of Scotland to just 'do him a favour', turn the clock back 50 years and do themselves out of power because some foreigner has got delusions of grandeur! "
unquote

/forum.thefreedictionary.com/postsm986729

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 6:55:16 AM

Neurons: 144,725

It is objectionable, crude slang meaning "someone I don't like".

Not to be used unless you KNOW that anyone hearing it will not object.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 7:22:15 AM

Neurons: 4,338
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

It is objectionable, crude slang meaning "someone I don't like".

Not to be used unless you KNOW that anyone hearing it will not object.

DragOnspeaker is correct it is an crude slang, and it is not to be used in mix company.
But for clarity it means someone who masturbates.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Romany
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 8:28:28 AM

Neurons: 38,414

In so much as the verb 'to wank' refers to onanism, then a wanker is - well everybody in the world, really!

But ask anybody under 35 and they'll tell you it just means an idiot, a silly person, 'a bit of a tit' as people used to say. It's often used affectionately (in Australia it's always used this way), so I would agree with Drago that it means 'someone I don't like' some people love their "wanker" friends to bits!!

I think a lot of people who were brought up when it really was only ever used objectionably and crudely still think of it that way, but I tend to wonder if we are not just seeing the evolution of a word that once used to be only used pejoratively into the mainstream?

I also am very surprised that the OP doesn't know this word; or couldn't look it up himself?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 8:35:51 AM

Romany wrote:
I also am very surprised that the OP doesn't know this word; or couldn't look it up himself?

Everyone likes to cause an effect.
Sometimes the easiest way to do that is to try to shock people.

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 8:35:54 AM

Neurons: 4,338
Romany wrote:

In so much as the verb 'to wank' refers to onanism, then a wanker is - well everybody in the world, really!

But ask anybody under 35 and they'll tell you it just means an idiot, a silly person, 'a bit of a tit' as people used to say. It's often used affectionately (in Australia it's always used this way), so I would agree with Drago that it means 'someone I don't like' some people love their "wanker" friends to bits!!

I think a lot of people who were brought up when it really was only ever used objectionably and crudely still think of it that way, but I tend to wonder if we are not just seeing the evolution of a word that once used to be only used pejoratively into the mainstream?

It's slang that is well known in Britain and Australia, but less well known in some other countries such as America.

There was a character in the American television show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" that was supposed to be British and he could get away with saying it in prime time because the US television network did not understand what it meant.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Romany
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 9:00:17 AM

Coincidentally, I was just on another thread and I saw someone using it in their post. I wouldn't normally bat an eye, and in fact just kept on going through posts (which is why I can't remember where I saw it) until I suddenly remembered this thread. Because it was a native speaker - which kinda supports my statement about it becoming mainstream?
towan52
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 10:17:45 AM

Neurons: 154,594
Broadly equivalent to the word "Jerk" in the US - except it's more offensive; particularly if it's used toward someone you don't know. Wanker is often used among friends during exchanges of banter. The late, great Victoria Wood says it best

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:04:18 AM

Thank you very much!

palapaguy
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 11:25:48 PM

Neurons: 6,620
[quote=almo 1]

Hello there!

What does "wanker" mean?

You could have googled the word and gotten a correct definition. No need to ask dictionary definition questions here.
Tovarish
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 11:44:47 PM

Neurons: 39,381
Towan, another of those words that doesnt translate well from US to Aussie English, when I read a recipe for 'jerked meat' I have a little chuckle.
palapaguy
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 11:46:56 PM

Neurons: 6,620
Romany wrote:

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that this is the first time I have come across the word "onanism," which I gather is well-known in England. It certainly isn't common here in the States. Thanks!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 2:29:45 AM

It's not exactly a common word, but it's known.

It's from the Bible.
Onan was ordered by his father to marry the wife of his dead brother and produce children for the brother.
He deliberately "spilled his seed on the ground" so that she did not have any children.

almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 2:33:41 AM

Thanks again!

almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 7:06:37 AM

almo 1 wrote:

Hello there!

What does "wanker" mean?

quote:
"And this wanker wanted the whole of Scotland to just 'do him a favour', turn the clock back 50 years and do themselves out of power because some foreigner has got delusions of grandeur! "
unquote

/forum.thefreedictionary.com/postsm986729

Can this word/expression be used toward women?

Romany
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 7:32:10 AM

Yes - if one's using it in an affectionate way.

No - if one is being rude and offensive.
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 2:19:14 AM

'Bugger' is another word that is used in general speech down here, instead of blast or damn, it even factored in a Toyota add, if I havnt got my vehicles confused.
Romany
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 5:27:25 AM

The one with the dog jumping (or trying to) into the back of the ute? That used to crack me up every time - the look on the dog's face was priceless.

Strangely enough the word "bugger" has faded out a bit in UK - but yeah, it doesn't mean anything here either. In fact, if I have a shopping bag break, or I trip over my own toes etc. and involuntarily yelp "Bugger" people tend to grin sympathetically. Whereas, if there's elderly people around, saying "shit" can still cause some noses to go up.

But then, this is Brighton - where the things that would bring public censure down on one are being unkind or sexist or racist.
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 10:58:28 PM

That's the one Rom, love it along with the one with the ute ladened down with slabs and they add two bottles of sherry for the cook, when the ute goes down to the axles they

(shearers I think) say, "think we over did it with the sherry".

Don't you love that puckered face, used to be described as "wouldn't say shit for sixpence" then up dated to "wouldn't say shit for a shilling"
Romany
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 2:30:28 AM

Oh - didn't know inflation had come to our idioms! A shilling or sixpence though, we'll never see THOSE days again!

(BTW - it's "summer" here. We had about 4 days of warm weather to start off - but it hasn't been over 20 since then. I remember I used to wear a long coat in Caloundra in winter...when the temp was about 20! Funny old world!)
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 1:31:39 AM

I have often wondered why Queeenslanders bother to buy winter cloths, winter down here and 30c in Qld and the usual 34c in the Territory.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 7:37:35 AM

Yeah, well, it was my *only* coat. Here I have jackets, jumpers, cardies, hoodies and coats - and that's just for "Summer"!! Winter, it starts with thermal underwear and continues in layers upon layers!

I am, however, getting a little more acclimatised - yesterday it was 18 and I wore a sleeveless dress. (Mind you, it was a long dress and I had leggings on underneath it!) And my sons both have to wear double-duty wetsuits on the one or two times they've been able to surf here.

However, England really is totally stunning in summer. Even though it's not really summer (to us) the plants and flowers and soft, green grass continue to bring me much joy. Every calendar and biscuit-tin picture you've ever seen is not a patch on the reality!
leonAzul
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 4:27:38 PM

Neurons: 25,548
Quote:
Regarding onanism and its treatment, surgeons are often consulted, and it is a very important matter. It is a habit very difficult to contend with in practice. I know of no way to prevent onanism except by freely blistering the penis, in order to make it raw and so sore that it cannot be touched without pain. This plan is sure to cure onanism.

http://www.thomas-morris.uk/abominable-disgusting-habit/

Anxious

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Hope123
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 10:39:47 AM

Neurons: 39,296
Hi Leon.

That is weird for sure.

It always comes down to nature's demand that male seed not be spilled but utilized in her quest to always further the species. Examples - religion interfering in personal sexual matters of birth control and abortion, control of women, male lions will kill the cubs of a female who has lost her mate so that his seed will be the most important. Etc.

Fortuantely the ban on masturbation is almost eradicated. But a neighbor here in the condo and who is our friend mentioned not long ago that he told his little grandson that his penis would fall off if he kept playing with it. I gave him friendly heck for telling the poor kid that.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
leonAzul
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 12:26:56 PM

Hope123 wrote:
Hi Leon.

That is weird for sure.

It always comes down to nature's demand that male seed not be spilled but utilized in her quest to always further the species. Examples - religion interfering in personal sexual matters of birth control and abortion, control of women, male lions will kill the cubs of a female who has lost her mate so that his seed will be the most important. Etc.

Fortuantely the ban on masturbation is almost eradicated. But a neighbor here in the condo and who is our friend mentioned not long ago that he told his little grandson that his penis would fall off if he kept playing with it. I gave him friendly heck for telling the poor kid that.

From my perspective, it is the obsession with masturbation that is more dangerous than the act itself.

My take on the evolution of the meaning of "wankery" from self-gratification to social cluelessness is that a person who exclusively experiences "full release" without a partner loses all motivation to develop the social skills involved in attracting and satisfying another sexually, and that those same skills are what a person needs to fully participate in a society. Becoming obsessed with self-gratification is a problem, whether it involves one's genitals, drugs, or one's life in general.

Hope123
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 6:40:20 PM

You have a point, Leon. Not being male I had not thought of that. There are many aspects to becoming socialized besides sex, but maybe not learning how to get a woman's love and or body may be what contributes to so much anger and need for power that they rape or are prey for being brainwashed by extremists. I have no idea if I am way off base or not - just theorizing after reading your post. The males I know are all "socialized". 😀 But young boys and men need that release long before they should be having sex with a female in our society that delays coupling and marriage. So do older men and contrary to opinion, so do women.

And yes, obsessions and addictions of any kind cause a lot of human misery.

almo 1
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 11:16:28 PM

Romany
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 4:01:11 AM

Hope, Leon - it seems to me that both of you think of masturbation as a male pastime? Or am I way off-course?

btw - (because I can't read the urls) has mention been made of the fact that the Kellogg brothers - who were absolutely obsessed with the evils of masturbation - first came up with cornflakes to stamp it out? I find that vastly amusing!
Hope123
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 10:51:20 AM

Ro, yes - male when talking about wanker.

But they have the greatest devices for females these days that are a woman's best friend and essential at times. Applause Applause Applause

Cornflakes!

leonAzul
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 1:49:28 PM

Romany wrote:

Hope, Leon - it seems to me that both of you think of masturbation as a male pastime? Or am I way off-course?

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but I consider waxing the carrot no better or worse than stirring the pudding.
Shhh

The idea of wanking, however, seems more applicable to the male species, since girls just wanna have fun.
Dancing

Romany wrote:

btw - (because I can't read the urls) has mention been made of the fact that the Kellogg brothers - who were absolutely obsessed with the evils of masturbation - first came up with cornflakes to stamp it out? I find that vastly amusing!

Worry not, we're just wrapping up the epilogue; there are still a few appendices to write.
Dancing

I agree, and there is still an extraordinary share of queer folk in the USA, most notably in Florida.
Whistle

Romany
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 12:14:13 PM

So the thing about Kellogs was amongst my Notes that were destroyed in the fire. However, I just typed "The Kellogg Brothers & Masturbation" into my search engine and came up with info. which supports my premise.

In my Notes I had links to how Corn Flakes were discovered by accident when a batch of "health" foods was left to dry out. The resultant crackly sheets of corn stuff which broke up when dried out were not, at first, considered as food. They were stuffed into children's mattresses so that any rhythmic movement would make rhythmic crackles and the *wanker* was caught out!

And my questions about males and females was because I'd noticed that many North Americans acted as though women didn't have exactly the same sexual urges as men: and supported the myth that masturbation was only a male thing. (Though I know neither of you guys would be of that ilk.). Just wanted to make it clear in case any ESL speakers happened to read this far in this thread.