What does 'due' mean here: due respect

I am looking forward to your answers.
sureshot
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 6:29:36 PM

Neurons: 341,621
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

What does 'due' mean here: due respect

The meaning of any phrase depends on the text. In the reference "Their believers acknowledge their value and pay them their due respect. They love them and the Names to which they are mirrors in the name of Almighty God" ..., the word "due" means "what you deserve, or something it is your right to have".

It is useful to know that there are formal idiomatic phrase like "with (the greatest) respect/with (all) due respect" and "with (all) due respect". Both of them are usually used in spoken English and are said before disagreeing with someone when you want to be polite.

TFD (Ref: http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/With+all+due+respect) mentions the meaning of "with all due respect" as "with the admiration that is owed"

- With all due respect, I think there are some facts you have not considered.
Romany
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 3:14:48 AM

Neurons: 39,097

There's a phrase often used in spoken English also "To give someone their dues".

"Chelsea wasn't much use helping." "Oh, to give her her dues at least she came. Barbara didn't."
"He may not be the greatest bowler, but to give him his dues, he makes a fantastic Captain."

When used this way, to GIVE someone their 'dues' = to be fair. It means to give someone what they are worth (in a positive, not negative manner.)
You know who I am
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:04:32 PM

Neurons: 4,702
Hi

I think the two answers above completely clarify your question.
In case you haven't understood it yet: Pay them their due respect: Acknowledge one's work/effort/dedication towards something.

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6