The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

the Jenday conure Options
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 2:52:08 AM

Neurons: 230,376
Life's Alphabet Soup: When Your Children Make You Eat Your Words, by Terri Ferran

Quote:
At the time, we had two dogs, a cat, two budgies, several fish, and the Jenday conure.

As usual. :) Why is it not 'a Jenday conure'? And why is it capitalized?

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
mactoria
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:27:12 AM

Neurons: 846,546
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:
Life's Alphabet Soup: When Your Children Make You Eat Your Words, by Terri Ferran

Quote:
At the time, we had two dogs, a cat, two budgies, several fish, and the Jenday conure.

As usual. :) Why is it not 'a Jenday conure'? And why is it capitalized?

I looked this quote up on Google Books to get an understanding of the context, read several paragraphs before and after. The book is a non-fiction (ie true life or autobiographical book) by a woman about her family life. This quote is from the chapter on "pets" which talks about numerous cats, dogs, birds, etc that the family had at various times over the years. But the family had only one Jenday conure (or Jandaya conure, depending on the reference book), and that Jenday conure was a memorable pet (not only are they gorgeous but they have distinctive personalities. It's my opinion that "the" is used by the author instead of "a" to underscore it was the only one and it was a most memorable pet.

As to why "Jenday" was capitalized: as far as I can tell, it was just the author's choice to do so. I checked several references and some did capitalize Jenday/Jandaya like it was a proper noun, while some didn't capitalize it. It was unclear from these references as to where "Jenday" comes from, whether it's a geographic name, name of a famous bird expert, or whether it's a descriptive term (like a color or pattern) in a language other than English. It seems to be the name given to a specific type of bird, rather than a group or family of birds, and so I think capitalizing it makes sense.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:51:18 AM

Neurons: 230,376
mactoria wrote:
It's my opinion that "the" is used by the author instead of "a" to underscore it was the only one and it was a most memorable pet.

Thank you very much!

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.