The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Which sentence(s) make(s) sense? Options
robjen
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 1:45:34 AM

Neurons: 2,355
I am going to make up three similar sentences.

(1) Each job interview is a precious learning experience for me.

(2) Each job interview gives me precious experience.

(3) Each job interview gives me a precious experience.

Which one(s) make(s) sense? Please help me. Thanks a lot.
sureshot
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 6:17:06 AM

Neurons: 342,136
robjen wrote:
I am going to make up three similar sentences.

(1) Each job interview is a precious learning experience for me.

(2) Each job interview gives me precious experience.

(3) Each job interview gives me a precious experience.

Which one(s) make(s) sense? Please help me. Thanks a lot.

The noun "experience" is generally used as an "uncountable" noun. As an uncountable noun, it relates to knowledge or skill that you gain from doing a job or activity. However, it is considered "countable" when the experience relates to something that happens to you or something you do, especially when this has an effect on what you feel or think.

In view of the above, sentence 1 and 3 are okay. If you are making a generalisation, "experience" is considered an uncountable noun and the article a/an is omitted.

Romany
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 1:04:50 PM

Neurons: 40,753

Does the word 'precious' appear in lots of text books for English learners? Because it certainly is used a lot by 2nd language speakers.

Look, job interviews do indeed give one a lot of experience at reading people, seeing what works best, etc. etc. But that is, by no means 'precious'. It's good, and its helpful, and its' going to stand you in good stead. But it is NOT precious.

The saved first tooth of a beloved child: that's precious. The memory of your dead grandmother's smile: that's precious. A dried flower a loved one gave you the night before they died: that's precious.

But sitting in a room with a couple of guys in suits, or standing next to a couple of guys in hards hats on a business site, or being hammed up against a fryer while someone explains how to cook hamburgers....these are *not* 'precious'. They are ordinary, everyday experiences that everyone of us has to go through if we don't want to live on the streets. What any single person does with those experiences may make them stronger, or weaker, or more knowledgeable, or suicidally depressed. That's up to each person.

But the word 'precious' is one used very rarely in modern English and, when it is, in BE it's usually used as a denigration: "Oh, Charles is being so precious. He's driving me mad." "Agh, don't get mixed up with Emily = she's so precious." It's often a euphemism (another name) for homosexual behaviour.

NKM
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 2:52:02 PM

Neurons: 192,531
As Romany says, "precious" seems very much out of place in those sentences. "Important" or "valuable" would be more appropriate.

And sentence #1 is best of the three, by far.

georgieporgie
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 2:52:13 PM

Neurons: 530
Romany wrote:

Does the word 'precious' appear in lots of text books for English learners? Because it certainly is used a lot by 2nd language speakers.

Look, job interviews do indeed give one a lot of experience at reading people, seeing what works best, etc. etc. But that is, by no means 'precious'. It's good, and its helpful, and its' going to stand you in good stead. But it is NOT precious.

The saved first tooth of a beloved child: that's precious. The memory of your dead grandmother's smile: that's precious. A dried flower a loved one gave you the night before they died: that's precious.

But sitting in a room with a couple of guys in suits, or standing next to a couple of guys in hards hats on a business site, or being hammed up against a fryer while someone explains how to cook hamburgers....these are *not* 'precious'. They are ordinary, everyday experiences that everyone of us has to go through if we don't want to live on the streets. What any single person does with those experiences may make them stronger, or weaker, or more knowledgeable, or suicidally depressed. That's up to each person.

But the word 'precious' is one used very rarely in modern English and, when it is, in BE it's usually used as a denigration: "Oh, Charles is being so precious. He's driving me mad." "Agh, don't get mixed up with Emily = she's so precious." It's often a euphemism (another name) for homosexual behaviour.

AGREE! Thank you!

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 3:42:39 AM

Neurons: 151,426

Ho, ho, ho!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 4:40:44 AM

Neurons: 40,753

Georgie -

Yes exactly!