The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Here is another ambiguous example of verb forms. Options
robjen
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 9:59:53 PM

Neurons: 1,993
Thank you very much, sureshot and NKM, for your feedback on my previous post, "before + simple present".

I am struggling with the verb form in example (2) I have made up myself.

(1) Last year, I found out that ABC was the organization which issued teaching certificates.

(2) Last year, I found out that ABC is the organization which issues teaching certificates.

I have no trouble with (1). Based on the comments of sureshot and NKM, if ABC still issues the certificates, the simple present is acceptable in (2). Am I correct? Please confirm this for me. Thanks a lot.
palapaguy
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 10:37:30 PM

Neurons: 6,835
robjen wrote:
Thank you very much, sureshot and NKM, for your feedback on my previous post, "before + simple present".

(1) Last year, I found out that ABC was the organization which issued teaching certificates.

(2) Last year, I found out that ABC is the organization which issues teaching certificates.

I have no trouble with (1). Based on the comments of sureshot and NKM, if ABC still issues the certificates, the simple present is acceptable in (2). Am I correct? Please confirm this for me. Thanks a lot.

Correct. For clarity, it commonly could be written "Last year I found out that ABC was, and it still is, the organization which issues teaching certificates.
sureshot
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 7:25:24 AM

Neurons: 341,621
robjen wrote:

We sometimes change the tense of the verb from present to past when the situation is out of date. When talking about a single activity ("found" in this case) that took place well and truly in the past, I would prefer to use Sentence 1. Logical adjustments are necessary if a speech is reported one year after the action/situation!