The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

North Koreans are coming. But where from? Options
Y111
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 4:17:23 AM

Neurons: 237

How Many Americans Know Where North Korea Is?

I think they wouldn't be able to find Russia on the map either.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 5:23:24 PM

Neurons: 37,857
Yeah, we watch Jimmy Kimmel regularly...

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
Yarin
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 6:33:55 PM

Neurons: 2,076
Wait, please tell me this is a joke.
Y111
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 11:44:33 PM

Actually, I am not sure. Maybe Hope123 will clarify. Her reply left me confused. Is that Jimmy Kimmel just a comedian and his polls nothing but jokes? I don't watch him, so I have no idea.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 2:40:39 AM

Neurons: 4,038
There is the issue of conformational bias, the television show edits out all the people that were able to accurately show where Nortn Korea is and only show those that did not for comic effect.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Kunstniete
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 3:43:07 AM

Neurons: 117,140
Sarrriesfan wrote:
There is the issue of conformational bias, the television show edits out all the people that were able to accurately show where Nortn Korea is and only show those that did not for comic effect.

Furthermore, there is an appalling percentage of women among the shown (="stupid") people. Is there some hidden sexism or do I exaggerate here?

The value of choice is not in the size of the action but in its effect.
leonAzul
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 4:26:55 AM

Neurons: 25,260
Y111 wrote:
Actually, I am not sure. Maybe Hope123 will clarify. Her reply left me confused. Is that Jimmy Kimmel just a comedian and his polls nothing but jokes? I don't watch him, so I have no idea.

Jimmy Kimmel is an entertainer who "hosts" a "talk show". The line between humorous observations based on verifiable fact and sheer fabrication is often blurred for the sake of entertainment under such circumstances, yet some folks don't "get it", and instead of using such entertainment as a reference to an idea, they try to use it as a buttress for their own ill-informed opinions. This impromptu survey hardly qualifies as a rigorously conducted nor analyzed poll, by any stretch of the imagination.

Those who think critically quickly understand that those who know less talk more, and those who know more talk less.

Think

Just the same, it is true that a significant number of American citizens couldn't be bothered to continue their education beyond the minimum requirements to qualify for employment in a steady job. There has long been a trend to consider anything beyond buying groceries and ordering a "Happy Meal" to be a matter for experts, who are then frequently vilified and mocked as "eggheads" for their lack of "common sense".

This is truly sad, considering the significant contributions that educators from the USA have made to advancements in education and pedagogy during the previous two centuries.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Y111
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 6:55:58 AM

OK, I see. Sometimes I take things too straightforwardly. They could indeed have left out those who knew the answer, for the sake of consistency.
TheParser
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 8:33:43 AM

Neurons: 20,413
Y111 wrote:

I think they wouldn't be able to find Russia on the map either.

No doubt that many American citizens (or residents) today would NOT be able to.

In the 1950s, I won my secondary school geography contest sponsored by Time magazine.

In those days, more people read newsmagazines and newspapers and books. Television was just starting. There was no cable TV yet, and of course no one had imagined that something called the Internet lay in the future.

This is 2017.

Many people do NOT feel that memorization makes any sense.

They can simply consult their smartphones for any information that they want.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 8:58:57 AM

Leon Azul has explained that Kimmel is a late night talk show host and comedian. He often does these "on the street" interviews for various topics. He also does other types of guessing games and stunts with prizes on the streets. Some of it is stupid and we just speed watch. But he does come up with some funny lines sometimes. It is usually his stand-up segments that are the funniest.

Jay Leno used to do something similar with interviews, and I'm sure many other comedians have too. The government administration current at the time is always game for comedians as well.

Art Linkletter used to do a nice show with children. What was it called? "Children say the darndest things?"

Yes, I'm sure Kimmel's videos are edited with a bias to play up the comedy effect. So don't assume all Americans are "knowledge challenged". 😳

However, it is sad to see that there were so many who had no idea where to even begin on a world map. I myself am not good with all the European countries (they have changed many names over the years for one thing) but hey - that is Canada just north of the US!

I had not noticed that many were female in this particular video, but comparing with other videos he has done, that was just a coincidence.

What bothered me more than the lack of geographical knowledge were the "yes" answers to the question about bombing North Korea. They have no idea what that entails.

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
will
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 9:29:49 AM

Neurons: 4,149
Of course the programme is edited for effect, but the point being made isn’t that all Americans don’t have a detailed knowledge of geography – although in a 2014 survey a quarter of Americans didn’t know the Earth revolved around the Sun, so there is a point to be made about the shocking state of education in the USA. Eh?

I think the (bigger, more important) point being made here is that an alarming number of people happily consider themselves to be informed enough to casually endorse military action against another nation – inevitably resulting in military and civilian deaths and increased global insecurity – yet are in reality are so ill-informed that they have no comprehension of the world, or it’s inhabitants, outside of their own blinkered existence.

The problem isn’t that some people cannot identify North Korea on a map (or indeed Europe, Canada or Australia), the problem is the trend away from honesty and balanced critical thinking toward societies where people are instinctively not inclined or prepared to say “I don’t know.” or admit “I don’t personally have enough knowledge on the subject to give you an informed answer.”

This is why the wave of anti-intellectualism that Trump is riding is so dangerous. There is a renewed belief that the right to an opinion means that all opinions are equally valid.

In my opinion.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 2:44:46 PM

I agree with your opinion, Will. 😀 (But still just two opinions.) In fact you hit the nail on the head. Many of Kimmel's interviews are where people are given ridiculous nonsensical information and they try to answer. I think part of it is that they want their moment of fame on TV as well.

I have seen some say "I don't know" or "What on earth is that?", but those responses were not automatic for most.

The media was partly to blame for this "all opinions are equally valid" when they started drawing out 5 minutes worth of real news into half hour and then hour shows where everybody under the sun is interviewed as a witness when they actually saw nothing - just happen to live nearby where an incident took place. Pundits give their opinions on shows designed specifically for them. Often it is just rhetoric. As well the media thinks they have to give equal time to both sides of the story, when one side is devoid of facts and is just uttering their POV or has an agenda.

Social media encourages everybody to have an opinion too when they are really just arm chair critics or "know-it-alls".

When did all this anti-intellectualism start globally? As far as I knew in my protected retiree world everybody is still getting degrees in order to get good jobs until all this business with Trump and in other countries brought it to the forefront.

IMcRout
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 5:15:37 PM

Neurons: 456,576
Why not send Sarah Palin to talk with our North Korean allies?

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Hope123
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 5:48:16 PM

Lol, IMc. Dennis Rodman already tried.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2577101/I-just-wanted-great-things-Tearful-Dennis-Rodman-says-hes-sorry-went-North-Korea-vows-never-return.html

:::::::

Seriously, a couple of days ago our Canadian negotiators got a CDN hostage freed from North Korea and did some other talks while there.

If you look at the comments of five (I assume CDN) men below the story on the link you will see that Will"s point is right on - about everybody having an opinion when they don't know f-all. And the negative ones will 99.9% likely be Conservatives as she is Liberal. And female.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/north-korea-canada-1.4244177

Maybe peaceful negotiations will work in spite of the two leaders. The negotiators just have to work around them?

almo 1
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 8:11:36 PM

Neurons: 3,032
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 4:06:25 AM

Neurons: 617,064
Just for fun, it'd be neat if people were encouraged to play this sort of game: http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Geography.htm (the level 5 quizzes are the best in my opinion.)

Instead of something more mindless. I think it's a fun link. I mean, it's not the memorization that's important, but remembering that, ok, these 2 countries are together. It's amazing how many of my mnemonics come from "Oh, right, country X borders on country Y."

Of course, we don't have to know everything. As an American, I admit to having to think before labeling which is Vermont and which is New Hampshire. Or Alabama vs Mississippi. And I'm foggy on the former Yugoslav republics, because I had a map puzzle when I was a kid and I remember playing with it, but Yugoslavia was still a country.

As for the former Soviet republics--it takes me a time through to remember, oh, right, X has to border Y because...and so forth.

That said, there are some countries people really should know. And I think fun quizzes like this could help. It's a matter of getting people distracted by the right stuff.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.