The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

UN Declares Famine in Somalia Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,850
UN Declares Famine in Somalia

The UN has declared a famine in two regions of southern Somalia and warns that the crisis could spread throughout the country over the next two months if international donors do not take immediate action. The area is suffering the worst drought in more than half a century, affecting an estimated 10 million people. Most major aid agencies employ the word famine only when at least 20 percent of the population has access to fewer than 2,100 kilocalories of food a day, more than 30 percent of children are suffering acute malnutrition, and two adults in 10,000 or four children in 10,000 are dying of hunger each day. More...
srirr
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:12:05 AM

Neurons: 443,924
The ill fate of Somalia is unparallel. Since last two decades, she has always been in news gaining sympathy and mercy. God save them.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
munro66
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:56:48 AM

Neurons: 144
There is a question that needs to be addressed to the various agencies that are appealing for monies to help in this crisis which is to say the least very distressing, is the money actual reaching the areas of concern? Will some of the monies kindly donated be swallowed up in administration expenses as has been the case over the years when other appeals for famine relief has been the centre of attention. This question should rightly not have to be asked but I am afraid that once again it has to.

I am thinking of supporting such organisations as the Red Cross who have units where they put together emergency packs and equipment for shipment to countries in disaster situations as well as having 'members' working in the areas of concern.

At least by this I will feel happier to know that my financial contributions however big or small will be very thankfully received for their work which covers not only their concerns for areas overseas affected by famine/flooding etc but for work in this country which often goes unnoticed.

"I may be only one person but I can make a difference"
hawkens
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 7:33:54 AM

Neurons: 4,620
Also for consideration is the fact of criminal gangs that usually come out during situations like this. If the land will not support the people we need to move them to an area better suitable for sustaining life, not just feed them now and leave them to die later.
antonio
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 6:11:29 AM

Neurons: 2,110
My prayers goes to Somalia. Guys, what we can do for them is to include them in our prayers. I pity the children, there's too young to experience this. Calling the wealthiest country, please help them in any means you can.

You can do anything, but not everything. —David Allen
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 8:55:25 AM

Neurons: 9,763
Suggestions above are all sound:

Spiritually, lend them your prayers.

Turn good thoughts into good deeds and lend them whatever assistance you can. As pointed out above, investigate the agency(ies) that you choose to donate through. Some spend up to 85% of donations on running their own organization.

There's not much to be done about a drought conditions, but, a functioning government, and some of the micro-economic solutions that are being tried in souther asia with success would help in the long run.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)