The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

those /these in this ontext Options
EnglishFanatic92
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 5:52:15 PM

Neurons: 510

Hi all.

I wrote an essay, trying to describe my life in ten to fifteen sentences.

From an enthusiastic player of computer games and a bored student I have become a “retired” player and an enthusiastic student. I stopped seeing priorities in material things and learned to see them in things no one can ever buy. A simple hello, helping mothers get onto the bus with their baby carriages, holding open doors, a little smile to a girl over there. (All) those are things which can make my or someone else´s day brighter.

My teacher suggests that I use "THESE" but she is not sure if "those" is possible as well. Could you, please, help me with this little issue? Thank you.
Audiendus
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 10:02:59 PM

Neurons: 799,273
"Those" is possible, but I prefer "these" as it makes the things sound 'closer' (more familiar) to you.
sureshot
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 2:34:24 AM

Neurons: 342,136
Audiendus wrote:
"Those" is possible, but I prefer "these" as it makes the things sound 'closer' (more familiar) to you.

Audiendus is right. "These" can refer to situations and experiences which are going on or just about to start. "These" can also be used in the sense "the things or situations I have just mentioned". "Those" is usually used to refer to experiences which have just finished or which are more distant in the past.

In the given text, you have just finished mentioning some situations and wish to refer to them in your next sentence "(All) those are things ...". The correct pronoun is "these". "Those" is possible only if the situations/experiences are in the distant past and not applicable any longer.