The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

environment Options
D00M
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 10:06:44 AM

Neurons: 3,293
Hello respected teachers,

I guess there is a difference between 'environment' and 'the environment'.

Should it not be 'the environment' in the following context?

the rapid deterioration of environment

I am looking forward to your answers.
thar
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 10:17:09 AM

Neurons: 63,010
If you read more, you see quite a lot of 'non-standard' English in this, particularly in the use of articles.

Read it if you need the content, but ignore the sentence construction.

Maybe an Indian English speaker can comment, but this is certainly not standard BE or AE.
sureshot
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 9:37:31 AM

Neurons: 341,621
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

I guess there is a difference between 'environment' and 'the environment'.

Should it not be 'the environment' in the following context?

the rapid deterioration of environment

"The" is used with a number of expressions referring to our physical environment, the natural world around us in which people, animals and plants live and the climate. The use of definite article "the" suggests that everybody is familiar with the noun we are talking about and that there are shared experiences. Some examples are:

the air, the country,the earth, the environment, the fog, the future, the moon, the mountains,the night, the ocean, the rain, the sea, the seaside, the sky, the smoke, the sunshine, the town, the universe, the weather, the wind, the world

It is useful to know that no article is used with nature, society, space and other abstract nouns when these have a general meaning.

Some examples referring to our physical environment in the natural world are:

- Many modern farming methods are highly damaging to the environment.
- Young people between 18 and 30 tend to be much more concerned about the environment than the older generation.
- Ask your local MP what he or she intends to do to help protect the environment.

"The" invariably precedes the noun "environment" in the above sense. However, the noun "environment" also refers to the people and things that are around you in your life, for example the buildings you use, the people you live or work with, and the general situation you are in. In such a case, the noun "environment" can be preceded by "a/an" or "the" depending on the sentence structure. Some examples are:

- Do girls learn better in an all-female environment?
- Our first task is to improve the physical environment (= buildings, furniture etc)in the school.
- We have tried to create a working environment in which everyone can develop their skills.
- Young children often feel happier in the home environment.
- I didn't feel that the neighborhood was a very safe environment for kids.
- I like to work here because the company provides a pleasant working environment.
- The political/economic environment in my country is improving gradually.
- A stable economic environment is required to increase the GDP.
- An unhappy home environment can affect a child's behaviour.
- They have created an environment in which productivity should flourish.

Now coming to the specific question on books mentioned in the sites referred by you, the following point is clarified:

(1) The words "environment" and "environmental" can also be used as adjectives e.g. environment pollution, environment damage, political environment tests, environmental degradation, Environmental Service Professional Inc. In such a case, the use of article "a/an" or "the" is governed by the noun at the end of the expression and the sentence structure. Omission of article "the" before the adjective "environment/environmental" and the use of article a/an before the phrase using "environment" as a noun has apparently led to your doubt.

- The political environment tests were carried out in a controlled environment.
- A pleasant working/learning environment promotes efficiency in any school.
- The Department of the Environment measures to protect the environment pollution of the environment damage to the environment

A quick reading of the suggested contents referred to by you shows that there are no errors in the use of articles before the noun "environment" and the adjective use of "environment/environmental" in the compound nouns.

I sincerely hope that your doubt is now resolved. If there is still any doubt, please mention specific sentence examples for clarification.

D00M
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 12:57:25 PM

Neurons: 3,293
Thank you thar for the reply.
Thank you, sureshot, for the clear and comprehensive explanation.

I am looking forward to your answers.