The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Japan marks 72 years since Hiroshima atomic bomb Options
Yarin
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 7:19:22 AM

Neurons: 2,432
Some 140,000 people were killed in 1945 atomic bomb, with another 74,000 bombed to death three days later in Nagasaki.

Japan marks 72 years since Hiroshima atomic bomb
TMe
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 11:59:51 AM

Neurons: 3,129
Yarin, I could never understand this philosophy of killing innocents to pressurize government. Why not kill government and its policy?

I am a layman.
Yarin
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 12:35:01 PM

Neurons: 2,432
I could not understand it either, TMe. But Some believe in "the end justifies the means".
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 12:38:51 PM

Neurons: 4,643

Some person is proud of:

"Atomic Bomb - a collaborative effort. Not many people realise that the person who actually brought it together was a Chinese, female scientist from Shanghai. She was nominated for the Nobel Prize but, in the end it went to her two Lab Assistants. (Not because she was Chinese, but because she was a female scientist!)"

forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst39427

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 9:12:59 PM

Neurons: 42,070
Well we made it 72 years without further nuclear war - but they are taking bets on how much longer we'll have with classified information being tweeted by the president and his threats of fire and fury undoing all the diplomacy that Tillerson has been doing with North Korea.

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 11:43:14 PM

almo 1 wrote:

Some person is proud of:

"Atomic Bomb - a collaborative effort. Not many people realise that the person who actually brought it together was a Chinese, female scientist from Shanghai. She was nominated for the Nobel Prize but, in the end it went to her two Lab Assistants. (Not because she was Chinese, but because she was a female scientist!)"

Romany, can you make the original source clear?

jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 10:45:54 AM

Neurons: 348,618
A-Bombing Japan was totally unnecessary. If the Japanese had surrendered when they got the chance they would have saved thousands of lives. It is said that Japan did not believe that the USA had such a weapon. Well, they believed it when the Yanks dropped the first one but still they did not surrender. The Japanese leaders slaughtered their own innocent people because of 'Honour' and 'Pride'.

North Korea take note please.

I remember, therefore I am.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 12:48:41 PM

Neurons: 40,753

Almo - as this is exactly the same post you concurrently posted on another thread - my response is exactly the same here as it was there: - it doesn't change according to which thread you repeat it on.
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:11:21 AM

Neurons: 39,862
Could it be some of the posters do some research on the atrocities committed, on both the militaries of the Allies and the civilian populations by the Japanese Imperial Army.

Australia was to be next in their push to control the entire Asian Pacific in the most ruthless ways.

They invented the suicide bomber, with aircrafts into ships.

If the bombing of Hiroshima saved Australian POW's then it was just fine with me.
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 4:47:17 AM

Hi, Tovarish,
I know, through forum history, you have an anti-Japan mindset like Sea Shepherd.

Sea Shepherd’s Watson says tsunami was divine punishment

www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2011/03/

quote:
If Sea Shepherd has any remaining supporters, perhaps this might make them reconsider. Paul Watson posted on Facebook how the tsunami is the fearful wrath of Neptune. Or in other words, how the Japanese deserved to die in the tsunami because they hunt whales.

Tsunami

Neptune’s voice rolled like thunder thru the sky
Angrily he smote the deep seabed floor
From the shore echoed mankind’s mournful cry
……The sea rose up and struck fast for the shore

From out of the East with the rising sun
The seas fearful wrath burst upon the land
With little time to prepare or to run
Against a power no human can stand

Its just as disgusting as the moron who blamed the Christchurch earthquake on gay ski week. Except the latter was an anonymous nobody while the former was said by the head of Sea Shepherd.
unquote
Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 5:56:29 AM

Neurons: 392,150
almo 1 wrote:

Hi, Tovarish,
I know, through forum history, you have an anti-Japan mindset like Sea Shepherd.

These things are always a bit more complicated than they appear. I know it's seductive to make it very black and white and presume that someone who found a silver lining to an atrocity like the atomic bomb must automatically be "anti-Japan".

If you stop presuming things, you might actually open up a dialog. As it is, you're just annoying people. It's not convincing anyone.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 7:13:57 AM

Neurons: 348,618
Lotje1000 wrote:
almo 1 wrote:

Hi, Tovarish,

These things are always a bit more complicated than they appear. I know it's seductive to make it very black and white and presume that someone who found a silver lining to an atrocity like the atomic bomb must automatically be "anti-Japan".

If you stop presuming things, you might actually open up a dialog. As it is, you're just annoying people. It's not convincing anyone.

I am not convinced that Tovarish is "anti-Japan", but anti the atrocities committed by Japan in WW2. The mindset of the Japanese was that no foreign feet should step on Japanese soil but it was OK for Japanese feet to trample all over other people's land, murdering, enslaving and torturing the innocent inhabitants. Oz was on their list, so Tovarish is not annoying anyone with her sentiments. The A-bombs were not atrocities. They were an alternative to fire-bombing which would have killed as many, or more.

I remember, therefore I am.
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 8:13:44 AM

jacobusmaximus wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:
almo 1 wrote:

Hi, Tovarish,

I am not convinced that Tovarish is "anti-Japan", but anti the atrocities committed by Japan in WW2. The mindset of the Japanese was that no foreign feet should step on Japanese soil but it was OK for Japanese feet to trample all over other people's land, murdering, enslaving and torturing the innocent inhabitants. Oz was on their list, so Tovarish is not annoying anyone with her sentiments. The A-bombs were not atrocities. They were an alternative to fire-bombing which would have killed as many, or more.

Assessing situations with a bird's-eye view

wikipedia.org/wiki/

According to historian Mark Johnston, "the killing of unarmed Japanese was common" and Australian command tried to put pressure on troops to actually take prisoners, but the troops proved reluctant.[87] When prisoners were indeed taken "it often proved difficult to prevent them from killing captured Japanese before they could be interrogated".[88] According to Johnston, as a consequence of this type of behavior, "Some Japanese soldiers were almost certainly deterred from surrendering to Australians".[88]

Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 8:18:03 AM

Neurons: 392,150
jacobusmaximus wrote:
so Tovarish is not annoying anyone with her sentiments.

I'm not sure if you're referring to my post when you talk about her (not) annoying people? If so, I was addressing almo and his/her presumptions about Tovarish (and Romany in other threads) being annoying.
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 12:33:00 PM

Romany
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:23:15 PM

Yes, this is the last post from the other site. Because now I have no idea what's going on and who's cross-referencing whom, thought I'd shove it in just to be clear.I mean the whole word's in a bit of a puzzle now, so I'd hate there to be extra puzzles here on TFDDancing

Wait! Hold up a minute Pray

Almo, now what's happening? Now you're sending Mactoria's post about a completely different person (and different fields within the Project) over to another thread. But not mine? Which guides you to two very reputable sites on the person I made a passing reference to back in 2013. Which is seriously rather nutty, as guiding premises go.(I mean that's four-4-years ago? But you keep on bringing 'em back alive.)

OK,I will admit that, for no reason I can think of, links don't work for me. I mean I just can't see them. They appear as blank space.Think

So maybe there's a link somewhere in your posts to a thread where you both apologised for publicly accusing me of being Liar you know: - a teller of porky-pies? An 'alternative fact' producer? A big fat liar? Angel Not to mention a crap historian who makes thing up because...what? Real life was never exciting enough?

Geez, mate, if this is your new hobby, may I respectfully suggest Boggle? Or Solitaire? Or else, hey, may I equally respectfully suggest you just back the hell off? Whistle

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 5:10:08 PM

Neurons: 42,070
almo 1 wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:
almo 1 wrote:

Hi, Tovarish,

Assessing situations with a bird's-eye view

wikipedia.org/wiki/

According to historian Mark Johnston, "the killing of unarmed Japanese was common" and Australian command tried to put pressure on troops to actually take prisoners, but the troops proved reluctant.[87] When prisoners were indeed taken "it often proved difficult to prevent them from killing captured Japanese before they could be interrogated".[88] According to Johnston, as a consequence of this type of behavior, "Some Japanese soldiers were almost certainly deterred from surrendering to Australians".[88]

Almo, you forgot the other half of the story:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes

I know Tov can take care of herself, but making accusations about other members is not productive nor is it accurate projecting what you think onto someone else. I also made some comments to you on this thread.

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst174778_Pew-research---US-Power-as-seen-by-30-nations.aspx

Remember, there was a war going on then. And although some Japanese have tried to rewrite history saying the Japanese were not aggressors, they definitely were. If they hadn't attacked Pearl Harbor and brought in the Americans, they would not have been attacked with nuclear weapons.

In fact, without the incentive we might not even have the atomic bomb - maybe we should be blaming Japan for that invention.

But the war is over, and history is history. What we need now is cooler minds so as not to start another one.

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
will
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 9:36:38 AM

Neurons: 4,292
Romany wrote:
OK,I will admit that, for no reason I can think of, links don't work for me. I mean I just can't see them. They appear as blank space.Think

I had this problem a while ago. I raised it in this thread ... oh, wait. You probably can't see my link d'oh!

Anyway, it turned out to be my adblocker. Hope that helps some what... I can't do much about the 'other' nonsense. Whistle

Romany
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 10:42:30 AM

Oh hey, thanks Will. I'll play around with that and see what happens, then. It's a nuisance cos it's really difficult to know what people are talking about, a lot of the time!
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 10:49:50 PM

To those who disagree with my post, we beg to differ.

The crimes against humanity were dealt with directly after WWII by the Allies, however the pain of the brutalised lasted until their deaths, mostly well before their time.

The German Nazis War Crimes were also dealt with and the German Government and people accepted the wrongs caused by their raesigme, however the Japanese have not, only by low

ranking underlings in the present government.

Japanese history taught in schools sanisitises their war history, their current Premier Arbe pays homage to the war criminals graves.

The Korean sex slave hostages are still fighting, as old women for the Japanese Government to recognise their captivity and constant abuse as pleasure workers for the troops.

My personal beliefs are, if Japanese Governments had accepted the crimes committed by their military, as did the Germans, then some of these scars may have healed.

Now on to my current complaints against illegal Japanese whaling, it is still happening and yes Greenpeace seems to be the only organisation protesting on the high seas.

From my knowledge of war history and the whaling crimes, 'saving face' is still entrenched in the Japanese DNA.

Japan is now an Allie of Australia both militarily and economically, but we have long memories down here

Lest We Forget.
almo 1
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 11:03:49 PM

I'll respond to Tovarish later with credible documents,

when I feel up to it.

Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 4:59:35 AM

almo 1
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:30:45 AM