mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

what does "raging" mean in this sentence? Options
QP
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 4:32:55 AM

Neurons: 4,893
Hi friends,

Please look at these sentence:-

Burlesque is all the rage again. And sometimes a little raging is exactly what you need.

The bold word "raging" seems to be a noun, but I could not find its meaning as the noun in any dictionaries. I am not sure whether it means "angry" or else. Please let me know.

Thank you
QP
thar
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 4:51:28 AM

Neurons: 62,977
It's a pun.

Burlesque is all the rage - that means it is very fashionable again (like over a hundred years ago).

Burlesque is fun, 'naughty', risque entertainment. Compared to modern strip bars, it is fun, not dirty.

The other says having some fun is good for you.

'Raging' is hard partying - drugs, music, really losing control for a while. It doesn't describe going to a burlesque show.

Urban dictionary
Quote:
raging
To party very intensely for a very long amount of time, keeping the quote in mind "anything worth doing is worth overdoing". Therefore doing whatever is possible to reach the level you want to be at. Doesn't matter whether it involves alcohol, nugs, acid, e or yay.

So, using it here is a pun, referring back to 'all the rage'.

I suggest you look in the urban dictionary. It includes the type of slang you need. But be aware, it is just personal opinions, and these slang words vary, go out of date, have different meanings.
But you will see if it makes sense in context.

QP
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 2:06:23 AM

Neurons: 4,893
Thank you Mr. Thar. I get it now.