The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Thomas Cromwell Is Executed (1540) Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 63,267
Thomas Cromwell Is Executed (1540)

Arguably the architect of the Reformation, Cromwell was an English statesman who gained nearly complete control of the government as the closest advisor of King Henry VIII of England. Cromwell abused his power but only fell from Henry's favor after convincing him to marry Anne of Cleves, whom Henry found unattractive. After the marriage fizzled, Anne was sent away with a generous pension, but Cromwell was beheaded—on the same day that Henry did what? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 1:47:42 AM

Neurons: 1,828,306
This Day in History
Thomas Cromwell Is Executed (1540)
Arguably the architect of the Reformation, Cromwell was an English statesman who gained nearly complete control of the government as the closest advisor of King Henry VIII of England. Cromwell abused his power but only fell from Henry's favor after convincing him to marry Anne of Cleves, whom Henry found unattractive.
monamagda
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 2:51:19 PM

Neurons: 3,388,685

The Marriage of Henry VIII and Catherine Howard

On this day in history, the 28th July 1540*, Henry VIII married Catherine Howard. Henry VIII was 49 and Catherine was about 20 and it was again a love match, well, on Henry’s side anyway. He had fallen in love with his fourth wife’s maid , a girl Starkey describes as “petite, plump, pretty and accomplished in the Courtly graces” with “an easy charm and abundant store of good nature”, in the late spring of 1540.

https://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/the-marriage-of-henry-viii-and-catherine-howard/
monamagda
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 2:54:16 PM

Neurons: 3,388,685

King Henry, being sympathetic to the Catholic religion (though certainly not to Rome), could definitely not accept Cromwell's heretical tendencies. His "treason" may have been the result of his organizing the marriage of Anne of Cleves to the King - which was a complete disappointment. King Henry had just about had it with Cromwell, and after years of trusting his advice and working alongside him, he finally put him to death on this day.
Cromwell mounted the scaffold steps and made a speech to the crowd in which he denied his guilt and said:

“Many have slandered me, and reported that I have been a bearer of such as I have maintained evil opinions; which is untrue: but I confess, that like as God, by His Holy Spirit, doth instruct us in the truth, so the devil is ready to seduce us; and I have been seduced.”

He also committed his soul to Christ and announced that there was "no hope in salvation," but he would hope and trust in "Christ's merciful goodness." Then he knelt and endured one of the most gruesome and butchered Tudor executions on record.

http://thetudorenthusiast.weebly.com/my-tudor-blog/the-execution-of-thomas-cromwell

thar
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 3:21:10 PM

Neurons: 61,585
His sister married a Wish farmer called Morgan Williams. Their son Richard changed his name to Cromwell as he worked for his uncle. His great-grandson was Oliver Cromwell.

Makes you wonder, would Oliver Williams have been as successful? And what would the adjective be, if not Cromwellian? Think