The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

PM(private message) Options
almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 12:11:52 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 878
Neurons: 3,921
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan
I never use PM(private message).
I have never sent PM on this forum and
I do not even open it if I receive it because I had some risky experience concerning PMs.

They come close to you with kind words, sweet words to get you or something from you.

If you think you know the sender, you'd better be careful.
You could do without PM.



Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 12:57:57 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/13/2015
Posts: 999
Neurons: 313,060
Location: Dzerzhinskiy, Moskovskaya, Russia
almo 1 wrote:
I do not even open it if I receive it because I had some risky experience concerning PMs.

I've replied to all but one. And I have sent two. Not to someone I know in this forum but to two fellow members in the Russian rating:



They chose not to respond.



აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 9:56:28 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/3/2016
Posts: 1,242
Neurons: 66,396
Location: Jandiāla Guru, Punjab, India
But sometimes it is gripping and thrilling to read and send Pms, almo1.

To kill a Deer you need
Guns, swords, knives & many people’s help
&
To kill a Dear you need
Just SILENCE & that’s it!
So always keep in touch with ur Dear 1's.


Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 8:23:37 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,573
Neurons: 21,472


Dear new members:

I respectfully suggest that you read Almo's comments very carefully.

I agree with them 100%.

There are a few exceptions, but usually there is NO need to send personal messages. (Everything should be suitable to post in open forum.)

A few members use personal messages to start trouble between other members. You should not reply to them. If you want to reply for the sake of courtesy, make it short: "Thank you" is enough.

Remember: In the digital world (as in the real world), there are disturbed individuals from whom one should maintain a healthy distance.

Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 8:35:52 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 872
Neurons: 377,100
Location: Gent, Flanders, Belgium
I've used private messages on occasion and pretty much all have been perfectly pleasant.

They can actually be quite a useful medium. After all, the forum rules specifically state that the forum isn't a place for chatting, which is something you can then do via PM.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 10:30:48 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,939
Neurons: 40,304
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Lotje1000 wrote:
I've used private messages on occasion and pretty much all have been perfectly pleasant.

They can actually be quite a useful medium. After all, the forum rules specifically state that the forum isn't a place for chatting, which is something you can then do via PM.


As usual, Lotje, you get what you give.


Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
TMe
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:06:58 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/12/2017
Posts: 487
Neurons: 3,094
There is no harm in seeking and providing advice and guidance on forum topics through PMs. Beautiful and pleasing, but.

I am a layman.
TMe
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:07:28 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/12/2017
Posts: 487
Neurons: 3,094
There is no harm in seeking and providing advice and guidance on forum topics through PMs. Beautiful and pleasing, but.

I am a layman.
popcorn1001
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 2:40:08 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 9/25/2016
Posts: 26
Neurons: 77
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 11:30:14 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,859
Neurons: 146,657
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
almo 1 wrote:
I never use PM(private message).
I have never sent PM on this forum and
I do not even open it if I receive it because I had some risky experience concerning PMs.

They come close to you with kind words, sweet words to get you or something from you.

If you think you know the sender, you'd better be careful.
You could do without PM.

Do you also advise people never to read or answer letters? Never to pick up the phone? Never to speak to anyone, as they may say something nasty?

I Have received hundreds of PMs, answered most of them and never had any trouble.
When in doubt - communicate!


Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 1:12:12 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/3/2016
Posts: 1,242
Neurons: 66,396
Location: Jandiāla Guru, Punjab, India
Yes I sent a PM to best teacher Chris, and I got a reply.Dancing Dancing Dancing

Who is Chris, please ask me not.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 11:46:33 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 878
Neurons: 3,921
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan

Thrilling like a secret chat room?









Just imagining,


I don't know anything about Secret Chat Room.




Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 12:05:17 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/3/2016
Posts: 1,242
Neurons: 66,396
Location: Jandiāla Guru, Punjab, India
Imagination is thrilling as well as horrendous.













My best time imaginationing is between waking up and and getting up every morning.LOL.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 12:42:57 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 878
Neurons: 3,921
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Imagination is thrilling as well as horrendous.









Indeed.



progpen
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 9:35:26 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,487
Neurons: 186,406
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
almo 1 wrote:
I never use PM(private message).
I have never sent PM on this forum and
I do not even open it if I receive it because I had some risky experience concerning PMs.

They come close to you with kind words, sweet words to get you or something from you.

If you think you know the sender, you'd better be careful.
You could do without PM.

Do you also advise people never to read or answer letters? Never to pick up the phone? Never to speak to anyone, as they may say something nasty?

I Have received hundreds of PMs, answered most of them and never had any trouble.
When in doubt - communicate!


This is not about communication. I use PMs as well. No reason not to. But if there would happen to be anyone on the forum who is paranoid and thinks everyone is talking about them, then PMs would be seen a sinister weapon that could only be used against them.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:43:05 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,859
Neurons: 146,657
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
Though I do answer the occasional grammar/vocabulary question by PM, I usually just say "I've answered it in this thread" (and provide a link).

That gives a chance to other members to disagree, agree or correct me (I do need correction sometimes!)Anxious

Most of my 'outgoing' PMs are either just personal messages or complaints to the admins about technical difficulties etc.

Never anything about other members except "Have you heard from Rudiger recently?" or some such.


Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.